Mailing List Archive

Website down
> On this note, I have to say I'm considering shutting down the Interchange
> mailing lists entirely.
>
> It has become really difficult to run a public mail server due to the
> heavy amounts of spam, lots of list subscribers abandoning their free
> email accounts that fill up and reject all messages or else clicking
> "spam" instead of unsubscribing themselves, and this adds to existing
> deliverability problems to the big email providers most people use: Yahoo,
> Google, Apple, Microsoft.
>
> The server's Postfix mail queue is always clogged with 50k+ deferred
> messages because of receiving servers saying "temporarily deferred due to
> unexpected volume or user complaints" etc. Sometimes we have to just purge
> them all to start over.
>
> Given how little real discussion happens here in the mailing lists in
> recent years, it doesn't at all feel worth it, and we may just point
> people to the existing options of IRC and GitHub issues.
>
> I would be sad to see the lists shut down, but the work of dealing with
> this has for years fallen only on me and Gert. It is not benefitting many
> people anymore and isn't rewarding.
>
> Jon

I agree that running an in-house email/list server is a big pain, but I
do like the non-real-time nature of email. IRC is fine but messages
scroll away pretty quickly. How about something like Google Groups?

DB

Re: Website down [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2 Mar 2023, DB via interchange-users wrote:

>> On this note, I have to say I'm considering shutting down the
>> Interchange mailing lists entirely.
>>
>> It has become really difficult to run a public mail server due to the
>> heavy amounts of spam, lots of list subscribers abandoning their free
>> email accounts that fill up and reject all messages or else clicking
>> "spam" instead of unsubscribing themselves, and this adds to existing
>> deliverability problems to the big email providers most people use:
>> Yahoo, Google, Apple, Microsoft.
>>
>> The server's Postfix mail queue is always clogged with 50k+ deferred
>> messages because of receiving servers saying "temporarily deferred due
>> to unexpected volume or user complaints" etc. Sometimes we have to just
>> purge them all to start over.
>
> I agree that running an in-house email/list server is a big pain, but I
> do like the non-real-time nature of email. IRC is fine but messages
> scroll away pretty quickly. How about something like Google Groups?

I've never been a big fan of Google Groups, but it's certainly an option.

However, like you, I much prefer this mailing list to IRC, and since
people piped up and are still here, it seems worth keeping.

I was able to block a few countries full of bad actors and no Interchange
users I'm aware of, and the subscription-bombing stopped completely and
the mail queues are no longer clogged with junk.

So, for now we can just keep the lists active, no need to shut them down.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation