Mailing List Archive

Patch: Remove REMOTE_USER From Session Name
I'd like to propose removing the inclusion of REMOTE_USER when present
from Vend::Session::session_name(). I have had occasion where it has
caused trouble for me and needed to by-pass, and I'm not aware of any
value added by having it there.

Thanks,
Mark
Re: Patch: Remove REMOTE_USER From Session Name [ In reply to ]
Certainly could put

if($Pragma->{session_remote_user} and defined $CGI::user and $CGI::user) {
$host = escape_chars($CGI::user);
}
elsif($Pragma->{session_remote_user} and $CGI::cookieuser) {
$host = $CGI::cookieuser;
}
elsif($CGI::cookiehost) {
$host = $CGI::cookiehost;
}

and allow for any users where this would break them. Though I doubt there
would be any.

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 4:35 PM Mark Johnson <mark@endpoint.com> wrote:

> I'd like to propose removing the inclusion of REMOTE_USER when present
> from Vend::Session::session_name(). I have had occasion where it has
> caused trouble for me and needed to by-pass, and I'm not aware of any
> value added by having it there.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Just because something is obviously happening doesn't mean something
obvious is happening. --Larry Wall
Re: Patch: Remove REMOTE_USER From Session Name [ In reply to ]
On 4/5/20 4:57 PM, Mike Heins wrote:
>> I'd like to propose removing the inclusion of REMOTE_USER when
>> present from Vend::Session::session_name(). I have had occasion
>> where it has caused trouble for me and needed to by-pass, and I'm
>> not aware of any value added by having it there.
>> Certainly could put> > if($Pragma->{session_remote_user} and defined
$CGI::user and $CGI::user) {> $host = escape_chars($CGI::user);>
}> elsif($Pragma->{session_remote_user} and $CGI::cookieuser) {>
$host = $CGI::cookieuser;> }> elsif($CGI::cookiehost) {>
$host = $CGI::cookiehost;> }> > and allow for any users
where this would break them. Though I doubt there> would be any.
That works for me since my personal interest is seeing it off by
default. Thanks, Mike, for your input.

Regards,
Mark
Re: Patch: Remove REMOTE_USER From Session Name [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, Mike Heins wrote:

> Certainly could put
>
> if($Pragma->{session_remote_user} and defined $CGI::user and $CGI::user) {
> $host = escape_chars($CGI::user);
> }
> elsif($Pragma->{session_remote_user} and $CGI::cookieuser) {
> $host = $CGI::cookieuser;
> }
> elsif($CGI::cookiehost) {
> $host = $CGI::cookiehost;
> }
>
> and allow for any users where this would break them. Though I doubt there
> would be any.

I like that idea if anyone reports breakage, but since
"session_remote_user" isn't an existing pragma, someone who needs it
probably wouldn't notice it in our release notes and wouldn't use it, so
would get breakage anyway. ???? Might as well just wait till that happens
and add it then, and avoid supporting a likely unused feature.

The only purpose of this behavior that I can think of is that users
authenticated with HTTP basic auth can move between IP addresses *and*
without a cookie, and not lose their session. Anyone know otherwise?

Maybe the biggest question is when the last time was that anyone used HTTP
basic auth for user authentication at all, much less depended on the
session sticking without cookies ...

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation
Re: Patch: Remove REMOTE_USER From Session Name [ In reply to ]
Well, I did use it for a bifurcated admin server that required HTTP Basic
authorization, but I am guessing that was 2005 or so. :) As I said,
probably affects no one. I just have always put a workaround in anytime I
break something instead of leaving it high and dry, but at this point I
doubt it matters.

Re: Patch: Remove REMOTE_USER From Session Name [ In reply to ]
On 4/6/20 1:23 PM, Mike Heins wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 10:46 AM Jon Jensen <jon@endpoint.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, Mike Heins wrote:
>>
>>> Certainly could put
>>>
>>> if($Pragma->{session_remote_user} and defined $CGI::user and $CGI::user)
>>> {
>>> $host = escape_chars($CGI::user);
>>> }
>>> elsif($Pragma->{session_remote_user} and $CGI::cookieuser) {
>>> $host = $CGI::cookieuser;
>>> }
>>> elsif($CGI::cookiehost) {
>>> $host = $CGI::cookiehost;
>>> }
>>>
>>> and allow for any users where this would break them. Though I doubt there
>>> would be any.
>>
>> I like that idea if anyone reports breakage, but since
>> "session_remote_user" isn't an existing pragma, someone who needs it
>> probably wouldn't notice it in our release notes and wouldn't use it, so
>> would get breakage anyway. 😊 Might as well just wait till that happens
>> and add it then, and avoid supporting a likely unused feature.
>>
>> The only purpose of this behavior that I can think of is that users
>> authenticated with HTTP basic auth can move between IP addresses *and*
>> without a cookie, and not lose their session. Anyone know otherwise?
>>
>> Maybe the biggest question is when the last time was that anyone used HTTP
>> basic auth for user authentication at all, much less depended on the
>> session sticking without cookies ...
>
> Well, I did use it for a bifurcated admin server that required HTTP Basic
> authorization, but I am guessing that was 2005 or so. :) As I said,
> probably affects no one. I just have always put a workaround in anytime I
> break something instead of leaving it high and dry, but at this point I
> doubt it matters.

So prospective patches based on both approaches. I'm inclined to full
removal, but am satisfied with either approach since the pragma approach
disables by default.

Mark
Re: Patch: Remove REMOTE_USER From Session Name [ In reply to ]
Go ahead and remove it. It'll give me a good laugh if someone turns out to
need it and we have to add the pragma. :)