Mailing List Archive

Still seeking solution to bug in interchange reports
There appears to be a serious bug in the interchange reports for
accounting purposes possibly more than one bug. I have reached out to
the community several times but still have not received an answer.

When the monthly sales report is brought up, it includes canceled orders
in the totals which is completely wrong. You can not count money that
was never received or that was refunded in your total sales. This can
create a tax nightmare if nothing else.

This problem appears to exist with all reports across the board and is a
serious accounting flaw.

The reports in interchange are apparently using the wrong value when
selecting the field to key on. When searching on pending orders, shipped
orders are included as well as canceled orders which is technically
incorrect. It appears to be checking if orders are archived and if not
they are listed as pending which is technically not correct.

David

Re: Still seeking solution to bug in interchange reports [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 1 Mar 2018, Davideth wrote:

> There appears to be a serious bug in the interchange reports for
> accounting purposes possibly more than one bug. I have reached out to
> the community several times but still have not received an answer.
>
> When the monthly sales report is brought up, it includes canceled orders
> in the totals which is completely wrong. You can not count money that
> was never received or that was refunded in your total sales. This can
> create a tax nightmare if nothing else.
>
> This problem appears to exist with all reports across the board and is a
> serious accounting flaw.

David,

Thanks for the report.

Just speaking for myself, I saw what you reported earlier, but I didn't
have anything to add because it doesn't have any relevance for Interchange
installations I work with.

Interchange is not an accounting system, and all serious ecommerce shops I
know that are using it have either heavily customized Interchange reports
replicate Interchange ecommerce data into a proper accounting system where
they run their reports.

It sounds like having the reports include only shipped orders would be
helpful for you, and I don't imagine it hurting any existing users. So if
you would like to work up a fix and submit a patch or GitHub pull request,
I think a fix would likely be accepted.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation

Re: Still seeking solution to bug in interchange reports [ In reply to ]
On 03/02/2018 10:22 AM, Jon Jensen wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2018, Davideth wrote:
>
>> There appears to be a serious bug in the interchange reports for
>> accounting purposes possibly more than one bug. I have reached out to
>> the community several times but still have not received an answer.
>>
>> When the monthly sales report is brought up, it includes canceled
>> orders in the totals which is completely wrong. You can not count
>> money that was never received or that was refunded in your total
>> sales. This can create a tax nightmare if nothing else.
>>
>> This problem appears to exist with all reports across the board and
>> is a serious accounting flaw.
>
> David,
>
> Thanks for the report.
>
> Just speaking for myself, I saw what you reported earlier, but I
> didn't have anything to add because it doesn't have any relevance for
> Interchange installations I work with.
>
> Interchange is not an accounting system, and all serious ecommerce
> shops I know that are using it have either heavily customized
> Interchange reports replicate Interchange ecommerce data into a proper
> accounting system where they run their reports.
>
> It sounds like having the reports include only shipped orders would be
> helpful for you, and I don't imagine it hurting any existing users. So
> if you would like to work up a fix and submit a patch or GitHub pull
> request, I think a fix would likely be accepted.
>
> Jon

It was working in older versions, 4.8, 4.9 but is not working now. It
may just be in using Strap rather than the standard interface. As for a
fix, I do not have either time or funds at the moment. As for other
users, I have a hard time seeing any e-commerce site working well
without the reports. It may even be that some are using it and just do
not realize the existence of the errors. I was not aware of the issue
myself until after using the 5.10 version with Strap for several months.

Re: Still seeking solution to bug in interchange reports [ In reply to ]
On 2018-03-02 10:55 AM, Davideth wrote:
> On 03/02/2018 10:22 AM, Jon Jensen wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Mar 2018, Davideth wrote:
>>
>>> There appears to be a serious bug in the interchange reports for accounting purposes possibly more than one bug. I have reached out to the community several times but still have not received an answer.
>>>
>>> When the monthly sales report is brought up, it includes canceled orders in the totals which is completely wrong. You can not count money that was never received or that was refunded in your total sales. This can create a tax nightmare if nothing else.
>>>
>>> This problem appears to exist with all reports across the board and is a serious accounting flaw.
>>
>> David,
>>
>> Thanks for the report.
>>
>> Just speaking for myself, I saw what you reported earlier, but I didn't have anything to add because it doesn't have any relevance for Interchange installations I work with.
>>
>> Interchange is not an accounting system, and all serious ecommerce shops I know that are using it have either heavily customized Interchange reports replicate Interchange ecommerce data into a proper accounting system where they run their reports.
>>
>> It sounds like having the reports include only shipped orders would be helpful for you, and I don't imagine it hurting any existing users. So if you would like to work up a fix and submit a patch or GitHub pull request, I think a fix would likely be accepted.
>>
>> Jon
>>

> It was working in older versions, 4.8, 4.9 but is not working now. It may just be in using Strap rather than the standard interface. As for a fix, I do not have either time or funds at the moment. As for other users, I have a hard time seeing any e-commerce site working well without the reports. It may even be that some are using it and just do not realize the existence of the errors. I was not aware of the issue myself until after using the 5.10 version with Strap for several months.

I have submitted a pull request to resolve this - https://github.com/interchange/interchange/pull/109

From what I can tell, the reports have always included canceled orders, so I don't think this is related to using Strap. The current reports will exclude any orders that have been 'deleted'.

Cheers!

Andrew

--
https://github.com/pullingshots ... https://metacpan.org/author/BAERGAJ

Re: Still seeking solution to bug in interchange reports [ In reply to ]
> On Mar 4, 2018, at 12:17 AM, Andrew Baerg <andrew@pullingshots.ca> wrote:
>
> On 2018-03-02 10:55 AM, Davideth wrote:

>>> David,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the report.
>>>
>>> Just speaking for myself, I saw what you reported earlier, but I didn't have anything to add because it doesn't have any relevance for Interchange installations I work with.
>>>
>>> Interchange is not an accounting system, and all serious ecommerce shops I know that are using it have either heavily customized Interchange reports replicate Interchange ecommerce data into a proper accounting system where they run their reports.
>>>
>>> It sounds like having the reports include only shipped orders would be helpful for you, and I don't imagine it hurting any existing users. So if you would like to work up a fix and submit a patch or GitHub pull request, I think a fix would likely be accepted.
>>>
>>> Jon
>>>

>> It was working in older versions, 4.8, 4.9 but is not working now. It may just be in using Strap rather than the standard interface. As for a fix, I do not have either time or funds at the moment. As for other users, I have a hard time seeing any e-commerce site working well without the reports. It may even be that some are using it and just do not realize the existence of the errors. I was not aware of the issue myself until after using the 5.10 version with Strap for several months.
>>

> I have submitted a pull request to resolve this - https://github.com/interchange/interchange/pull/109 <https://github.com/interchange/interchange/pull/109>
>
> From what I can tell, the reports have always included canceled orders, so I don't think this is related to using Strap. The current reports will exclude any orders that have been 'deleted'.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the submission; I’ve reviewed and merged this into HEAD; Davideth, you can either pull the changed files from the Git repo or review and make the same changes this patch made.

Best,

David
--
David Christensen
End Point Corporation
Re: Still seeking solution to bug in interchange reports [ In reply to ]
On 03/04/2018 11:23 AM, David Christensen wrote:

>> On Mar 4, 2018, at 12:17 AM, Andrew Baerg <andrew@pullingshots.ca
>> <mailto:andrew@pullingshots.ca>> wrote:
>>
>> On 2018-03-02 10:55 AM, Davideth wrote:
>>> On 03/02/2018 10:22 AM, Jon Jensen wrote:
>>>>
>>> It was working in older versions, 4.8, 4.9 but is not working now.
>>> It may just be in using Strap rather than the standard interface. As
>>> for a fix, I do not have either time or funds at the moment. As for
>>> other users, I have a hard time seeing any e-commerce site working
>>> well without the reports. It may even be that some are using it and
>>> just do not realize the existence of the errors. I was not aware of
>>> the issue myself until after using the 5.10 version with Strap for
>>> several months.
>>>

>> I have submitted a pull request to resolve this
>> -https://github.com/interchange/interchange/pull/109
>>
>> From what I can tell, the reports have always included canceled
>> orders, so I don't think this is related to using Strap. The current
>> reports will exclude any orders that have been 'deleted'.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Andrew
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Thanks for the submission; I’ve reviewed and merged this into HEAD;
> Davideth, you can either pull the changed files from the Git repo or
> review and make the same changes this patch made.
>
> Best,
>
> David
> --
> David Christensen