Mailing List Archive

Caching and session IDs
I'm tempted to enable some kind of server-side page caching but the
session IDs appended to internal links on the first page of each
session would be a problem. Is it safe to disable session IDs on
internal links these days?

- Grant

Re: Caching and session IDs [ In reply to ]
> On Oct 6, 2016, at 1:46 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm tempted to enable some kind of server-side page caching but the
> session IDs appended to internal links on the first page of each
> session would be a problem. Is it safe to disable session IDs on
> internal links these days?

Yeah, I think Cookies + JS is pretty much the norm these days, no matter what those curmudgeons among us would like. :-)

Here’s some info about caching in Interchange to consider:

http://blog.endpoint.com/2013/10/full-page-caching-in-interchange-5.html

Additionally, you’ll need to make sure you are only caching responses that are valid for everyone hitting this resource; you can’t just blindly do GET requests w/200 or 301.
--
David Christensen
End Point Corporation

Re: Caching and session IDs [ In reply to ]
>> I'm tempted to enable some kind of server-side page caching but the
>> session IDs appended to internal links on the first page of each
>> session would be a problem. Is it safe to disable session IDs on
>> internal links these days?
>
> Yeah, I think Cookies + JS is pretty much the norm these days, no matter what those curmudgeons among us would like. :-)
>
> Here’s some info about caching in Interchange to consider:
>
> http://blog.endpoint.com/2013/10/full-page-caching-in-interchange-5.html
>
> Additionally, you’ll need to make sure you are only caching responses that are valid for everyone hitting this resource; you can’t just blindly do GET requests w/200 or 301.

Thanks David. Is this what I want:

ScratchDefault mv_no_session_id 1

Is that pretty standard in IC catalogs these days?

- Grant

Re: Caching and session IDs [ In reply to ]
> On Oct 6, 2016, at 4:47 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I'm tempted to enable some kind of server-side page caching but the
>>> session IDs appended to internal links on the first page of each
>>> session would be a problem. Is it safe to disable session IDs on
>>> internal links these days?
>>
>> Yeah, I think Cookies + JS is pretty much the norm these days, no matter what those curmudgeons among us would like. :-)
>>
>> Here’s some info about caching in Interchange to consider:
>>
>> http://blog.endpoint.com/2013/10/full-page-caching-in-interchange-5.html
>>
>> Additionally, you’ll need to make sure you are only caching responses that are valid for everyone hitting this resource; you can’t just blindly do GET requests w/200 or 301.
>

> Thanks David. Is this what I want:
>
> ScratchDefault mv_no_session_id 1
>
> Is that pretty standard in IC catalogs these days?

That sounds right; we tend to always turn the id off for our sites, should prob see about changing the default in “strap” catalog if it’s not already.

David
--
David Christensen
End Point Corporation

Re: Caching and session IDs [ In reply to ]

>>> Yeah, I think Cookies + JS is pretty much the norm these days, no matter what those curmudgeons among us would like. :-)
>>>
>>> Here’s some info about caching in Interchange to consider:
>>>
>>> http://blog.endpoint.com/2013/10/full-page-caching-in-interchange-5.html
>>>
>>> Additionally, you’ll need to make sure you are only caching responses that are valid for everyone hitting this resource; you can’t just blindly do GET requests w/200 or 301.
>>

>> Thanks David. Is this what I want:
>>
>> ScratchDefault mv_no_session_id 1
>>
>> Is that pretty standard in IC catalogs these days?
>
> That sounds right; we tend to always turn the id off for our sites, should prob see about changing the default in “strap” catalog if it’s not already.

My mistake. It looks like mv_no_session is what we want here.

http://www.icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-users/2006-July/045791.html

- Grant