Mailing List Archive

Interchange source code migrated to Git
Interchange community,

Tomorrow will be the ninth anniversary of the date when Mike Heins created
the Interchange CVS repository to track source code. Nine years!

In coincidental honor of this anniversary I'm pleased to announce that the
Interchange CVS repository has been imported into the Git distributed
version control system (thanks to the excellent cvs2git program, part of
cvs2svn), and we are now using Git to track changes and are retiring the
CVS repository.

Instructions on accessing the new repository directly with a Git client,
using Gitweb, and using our GitHub mirror, are here:

http://www.icdevgroup.org/i/dev/download

There are many good Git tutorials online, and you can get started at the
official Git website:

http://git-scm.com/

I encourage serious Interchange users to check out GitHub. GitHub has
become very popular and well-known in the larger Git community because it
makes it easy for anyone to set up a free GitHub account, make a GitHub
"fork" (personal working copy) of one of the Interchange repositories, and
post changes there.

Then instead of having to send patches through email where they may get
mangled and are harder to merge with other changes, you can post them to
your GitHub fork. Then one of the Interchange core committers can simply
pull down the changes and commit them. Or if your change isn't accepted
for some reason, you've still got it in a public place where you can point
other people to it, and you can continue to merge ongoing mainline
Interchange development with your patch so it stays current.

For other projects GitHub has helped enable broader community
contributions beyond just the core committers, and I hope it can do the
same with Interchange. But that will only happen if you take a few minutes
to contribute back improvements you make to Interchange!

You may also be interested in an artificially constructed repository of
old MiniVend and Vend releases:

http://git.icdevgroup.org/?p=minivend.git;a=summary

That's just for fun.

Please report your experiences with the new Git repository on the
interchange-users list.

Thanks,
Jon

--