gpg: error retrieving 'name@domain.com' via WKD: No dirmngr
ogpg: name@domain.com: skipped: No dirmngr
gpg: zz: encryption failed: No dirmngr
.
this is on a server where gpg worked before without problems. I don't want to use any dirmanager,
they encryption key is stored locally, and is trusted (I can see it with gpg --list-public-keys)

I just need to simply encrypt a file with given public key.
Without any daemons, without any external servers or services, without checking any revocation certificates.

Re: encryption failed: No dirmngr [ In reply to ]
On Mittwoch, 29. M?rz 2023 12:20:08 CEST Fourhundred Thecat via Gnupg-users
wrote:
> I am getting this error:
>
> $ gpg --lock-never --no-verbose --batch --yes --pinentry-mode loopback -e -r
> 'name@domain.com' -o zz.gpg zz gpg: failed to start the dirmngr
> '/usr/bin/dirmngr': No such file or directory gpg: connecting dirmngr at
> '/var/lib/asterisk/.gnupg/S.dirmngr' failed: No such file or directory gpg:
> error retrieving 'name@domain.com' via WKD: No dirmngr
> ogpg: name@domain.com: skipped: No dirmngr
> gpg: zz: encryption failed: No dirmngr
> .
> this is on a server where gpg worked before without problems.

Could it be that the used key has expired? This would explain why all of the
sudden gpg tries to look for the key via WKD. It should only do this if the
local lookup failed.

To prevent automatic remote key lookup add
no-auto-key-locate
to your gpg.conf.

Regards,
Ingo