Mailing List Archive

Re: Difference between versions--Question
On Montag, 31. Oktober 2022 10:23:10 CET K S via Gnupg-users wrote:
> Question:
> Why aren't those identical? I notice the source build has only
> Uncompressed as an option.
[...]
> Is there something I missed in my build?

configure most likely didn't find the development files of the compression
libraries. Check the output of configure.

Regards,
Ingo
Re: Difference between versions--Question [ In reply to ]
How do I run configure to get the compression routines?

I ran the build exactly like the README file indicated I should.

FYI, this is the first time I've built from source.

kcs

Re: Difference between versions--Question [ In reply to ]
Hi Kevin,

Am Freitag 04 November 2022 13:55:58 schrieb K S via Gnupg-users:
> How do I run configure to get the compression routines?

checkout the "config.log" or the output of your configure command run
to see if there are messages concerning compression libraries.

> FYI, this is the first time I've built from source.

It is cool that you have tried it! :)
Bernhard

--
https://intevation.de/~bernhard   +49 541 33 508 3-3
Geschäftsführer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter
Re: Difference between versions--Question [ In reply to ]
On Freitag, 11. November 2022 14:06:34 CET Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Freitag 04 November 2022 13:55:58 schrieb K S via Gnupg-users:
> > How do I run configure to get the compression routines?
>
> checkout the "config.log" or the output of your configure command run
> to see if there are messages concerning compression libraries.

It depends on your distribution what packages you need to install to get
support for compression. Typically, those packages would be called something
like zlib-devel, zip-devel, bzip2-devel, or similar.

configure will very likely have told you that it didn't find zlib, zip and
bzip2. Just running configure without looking at its output will allow you to
build an application, but you may miss optional feature like, in the case of
gnupg, support for different types of compression.

Regards,
Ingo
Re: Difference between versions--Question [ In reply to ]
It would be helpful to know why I can't get compression in my build. I've
tried to build from source three times now.

There are so many packages in Ubuntu with zip, zlib, and bzip2 in the name
I can't begin to try them all. I've looked at config.log and it doesn't
give much help.

Cheers

Re: Difference between versions--Question [ In reply to ]
> It would be helpful to know why I can't get compression in my build.
> I've tried to build from source three times now.

The answer is very simple: because you are building it incorrectly. We
can provide you with the answers, but we can't give you the software
development skills needed to correctly use the answers.

> There are so many packages in Ubuntu with zip, zlib, and bzip2 in the
> name I can't begin to try them all. I've looked at config.log and it
> doesn't give much help.

If you're unable to recognize which packages provide development headers
for common system libraries, that would be a sign your skill level is
not up to this task.

This isn't to say you shouldn't learn. Learning is good, even
essential! It's only to say the problem isn't with GnuPG.

Re: Difference between versions--Question [ In reply to ]
K S via Gnupg-users wrote:
> It would be helpful to know why I can't get compression in my build. I've
> tried to build from source three times now.
>
> There are so many packages in Ubuntu with zip, zlib, and bzip2 in the name
> I can't begin to try them all. I've looked at config.log and it doesn't
> give much help.

The config.log should show some information about the
compression algorithms, likely found searching for "zip" in
the output.

Building from source does require a bit of familiarity with
the system on which you are building. While you shouldn't
need to randomly try all the packages, knowing where to look
for ideas will help.

I don't use Ubuntu or Debian, but if I were trying to build
gnupg from source I'd start by looking at what build
dependencies are required by the system packages.

In the case of gnupg, you can see that in the debian/control
file:

https://salsa.debian.org/debian/gnupg2/-/blob/7f5e9b1b/debian/control#L9-43
https://git.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnupg2/tree/debian/control#n10

You can install those build dependencies via something like:

apt-get build-dep gnupg2

The debian/rules file is usually also interesting; seeing
what configure and make options are used can be helpful.

Some of the dependencies for the current gnupg may be newer
than what is required by the gnupg2 package in Ubuntu and/or
provided by the OS. You may first need to build those newer
dependencies.

If so, you need to be careful not to interfere with the OS
libraries which are used by other packages on the system.
It can get "interesting" trying to update something which is
quite a core dependency of the operating system.

--
Todd
Re: Difference between versions--Question [ In reply to ]
Thank you!

kcs