--
Matthias Apitz, ? guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045

Peace instead of NATO! ??? ?????? ????! Frieden statt NATO! ¡Paz en vez de OTAN!

Re: using OpenPGP card to unlock a LUKS device on boot [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 5 Apr 2022 16:57, Matthias Apitz said:

> an OpenPGP card could be used to unlock a ciphered LUKS partition during
> boot of the L5 mobile device, see this posting at the end:

No idea, I don't use LUKS but g13 ;-)

> Werner, what about your L5?

It is gathering dust in one of my drawers - frankly no time to to play
with it. A colleague of mine used it for some time in the home office
but then switched back to an old Fairphone.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

--
The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that
refuse military service. - A. Einstein
Re: using OpenPGP card to unlock a LUKS device on boot [ In reply to ]
Am 05.04.22 um 16:57 schrieb Matthias Apitz:

> Hello,
>
> Can someone please comment in the forum or here (and I copy it over) how
> an OpenPGP card could be used to unlock a ciphered LUKS partition during
> boot of the L5 mobile device, see this posting at the end:
>
> https://forums.puri.sm/t/librem-5-unlock-luks-volume-with-a-fido2-device/16890/7
>
> Werner, what about your L5?
>
> Thanks
>
> matthias

Given recent events: can't you spare us your stupid signature? Or
replace "instead" by "through"? Even for die-hard ideologists it's about
time to adapt to reality.

Rainer

Re: using OpenPGP card to unlock a LUKS device on boot [ In reply to ]
> Given recent events: can't you spare us your stupid signature?

Matthias should be, and is, free to advocate for his beliefs in his
signature.

If we don't stand up for people's right to peacefully say things we
don't like, we have failed as a community.

I say this as an American who's a fanatical supporter of NATO. Leave
the guy alone, and let's get back to discussions about GnuPG. Thanks. :)
Re: using OpenPGP card to unlock a LUKS device on boot [ In reply to ]
Am 06.04.22 um 16:06 schrieb Robert J. Hansen via Gnupg-users:
>> Given recent events: can't you spare us your stupid signature?
>
> Matthias should be, and is, free to advocate for his beliefs in his
> signature.
Just as I am free to comment on a political statement that I find
provocative, blatantly wrong and in the context of current events almost
derisive.

> If we don't stand up for people's right to peacefully say things we
> don't like, we have failed as a community.
Then stand up for *my* right to peacefully say things as well. Or
perhaps just mind your own business.

> I say this as an American who's a fanatical supporter of NATO.  Leave
> the guy alone, and let's get back to discussions about GnuPG.  Thanks.  :)
American or whatever: fanatics are always suspicious to me. Apart from
that: What I do or say is not yours to decide. And I don't need your
advice in this matter. And the OP is probably able to speak for himself.

The signature is a provocative political statement and it therefore has
to be expected and is probably even intended that people react to it.
And so I did. That's all. Like it or not.

Rainer

Re: using OpenPGP card to unlock a LUKS device on boot [ In reply to ]
> Just as I am free to comment on a political statement that I find
> provocative, blatantly wrong and in the context of current events almost
> derisive.

Excepting that this is not a mailing list for politics.

Matthias has a line in his signature that you object to. I object to
it, too, but the only thing we need to do is nothing. Perhaps you'd
like to place your own line in your own signature file making your
pro-NATO feelings clear? Either way, bringing it to the forefront of
discussion is incredibly off-topic.

We'd like to keep this mailing list on-topic. Thanks for understanding. :)
Re: using OpenPGP card to unlock a LUKS device on boot [ In reply to ]
Am 06.04.22 um 17:04 schrieb Robert J. Hansen via Gnupg-users:
>> Just as I am free to comment on a political statement that I find
>> provocative, blatantly wrong and in the context of current events almost
>> derisive.
>
> Excepting that this is not a mailing list for politics.
You're barking up the wrong tree: It wasn't me who brought politics to
this list.

> Matthias has a line in his signature that you object to.  I object to
> it, too, but the only thing we need to do is nothing.  Perhaps you'd
There are times when "doing nothing" isn't an option any longer. It may
have escaped you but there is a war raging in Europe.

> like to place your own line in your own signature file making your
> pro-NATO feelings clear?  Either way, bringing it to the forefront of
> discussion is incredibly off-topic.
Nonsense. The OP issued a statement, I replied and that could have been
it. It is you who is obviously thriving on extending this discussion.

> We'd like to keep this mailing list on-topic.  Thanks for
> understanding.  :)
Then heed your own advice and simply keep your wisdoms to yourself.

Rainer

Re: using OpenPGP card to unlock a LUKS device on boot [ In reply to ]
> You're barking up the wrong tree: It wasn't me who brought politics to
> this list.

You're the one who is turning a single throwaway line in someone's
signature block into an angry argument.

> Nonsense. The OP issued a statement, I replied and that could have been
> it. It is you who is obviously thriving on extending this discussion.

It "could have been it", I am certain, if he had apologized, removed the
line from his signature block, and stopped. Had he done otherwise we'd
be right where we are now.

Regardless: I think I've made my position clear. He is under no
obligation to remove a line from his signature block that you object to
on purely political grounds. Let's drop this subject and return to
talking about GnuPG.
Re: using OpenPGP card to unlock a LUKS device on boot [ In reply to ]
Am 06.04.22 um 18:15 schrieb Robert J. Hansen via Gnupg-users:
>> You're barking up the wrong tree: It wasn't me who brought politics to
>> this list.
>
> You're the one who is turning a single throwaway line in someone's
> signature block into an angry argument.
No. But you're the one who obviously _must_ have the last word.

>> Nonsense. The OP issued a statement, I replied and that could have been
>> it. It is you who is obviously thriving on extending this discussion.
>
> It "could have been it", I am certain, if he had apologized, removed the
> line from his signature block, and stopped.  Had he done otherwise we'd
> be right where we are now.
Assumptions are the mother of all disasters.

> Regardless: I think I've made my position clear.  He is under no
> obligation to remove a line from his signature block that you object to
> on purely political grounds.  Let's drop this subject and return to
> talking about GnuPG.
Amen!

Rainer