Mailing List Archive

[OT] English [was Re: Key Management - BSI had send private key instead of public key]
On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 10:48:55 +0100
Rainer Fiebig via Gnupg-users <gnupg-users@gnupg.org> wrote:

> That's kind of a misconception: as English is a western germanic
> language it's not that German made its way into English but English is
> *based* on German.

Ahh true, to the purists, English is not a language… it's a composite
of German, French, Italian, Spanish… and lots of others.

Some might say English is a "language" that beats up other languages
and steals their vocabulary.

It doesn't mean the source language is immediately understandable by
those that speak its derivative though even if individual words can be
identified. :-)
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.

Re: [OT] English [was Re: Key Management - BSI had send private key instead of public key] [ In reply to ]
Am 18.11.21 um 22:21 schrieb Stuart Longland:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 10:48:55 +0100
> Rainer Fiebig via Gnupg-users <gnupg-users@gnupg.org> wrote:
>
>> That's kind of a misconception: as English is a western germanic
>> language it's not that German made its way into English but English is
>> *based* on German.
>
> Ahh true, to the purists, English is not a language… it's a composite
> of German, French, Italian, Spanish… and lots of others.
>
> Some might say English is a "language" that beats up other languages
> and steals their vocabulary.
That seems a bit too harsh to me. As I see it, English is a language
that evolved from its base by integrating useful or chic elements of
those languages that were present over time. A quite natural thing, I
guess. And perhaps one reason why it became so successful.

> It doesn't mean the source language is immediately understandable by
> those that speak its derivative though even if individual words can be
> identified. :-)

Yeah, that's a pity. But at least you have a head start should you ever
decide to go for the real thing. ;)

Cheers and good luck!

Rainer