Mailing List Archive

gpg: Note: secret key [...] expired...
Hi list members,

I have a revoked private key in my key ring, which I replaced with new one. I really do not want to discard this old key, for what I think good reasons. Is there a way to let gpg ignore this key or suppress this thisĀ¹ notification?

1)

Re: gpg: Note: secret key [...] expired... [ In reply to ]
On Dienstag, 9. November 2021 15:28:27 CET Keine Eile wrote:
> I have a revoked private key in my key ring, which I replaced with new one.
> I really do not want to discard this old key, for what I think good
> reasons. Is there a way to let gpg ignore this key or suppress this this?
> notification?
>
> > gpg: Note: secret key [KeyID] expired at [Some day in September]
> > gpg: Note: key has been revoked

As far as I could see in the source code, this is always printed when you
decrypt something that was encrypted for this key. There is no option to
suppress this except maybe by suppressing all informational messages. --quiet
may help.

Regards,
Ingo
Re: gpg: Note: secret key [...] expired... [ In reply to ]
Thanks for pointing that out

> As far as I could see in the source code, this is always printed when you
> decrypt something that was encrypted for this key.[...]
Some times is is so simple, just own stupidity.

Re: gpg: Note: secret key [...] expired... [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 15:28, Keine Eile said:

> I have a revoked private key in my key ring, which I replaced with new
> one. I really do not want to discard this old key, for what I think
> good reasons. Is there a way to let gpg ignore this key or suppress
> this thisĀ¹ notification?

You can delete your old key from the keyring. However, you would also
lose the ability to decrypt old messages. Thus in general not a good
idea.

>> gpg: Note: secret key [KeyID] expired at [Some day in September]
>> gpg: Note: key has been revoked

We can't suppress the latter diagnostic because that is an important
information. The former diagnostic is also of some interest.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner