Mailing List Archive

Re: [Keyserver] Hockeypuck 2.1.0 released (Andrew Gallagher)

> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 19:59:46 +0000
> From: Andrew Gallagher <andrewg@andrewg.com>
> To: SKS Development and Deployment discussion <sks-devel@nongnu.org>,
> GnuPG Users <gnupg-users@gnupg.org>
> Subject: Re: [Keyserver] Hockeypuck 2.1.0 released
> How do you handle the gradual degradation of sync as different operators
> implement divergent blacklists?

This might be a controversial opinion, but I would allow it to happen.

Even if reconciliation cannot provide perfect consistency in such a world,
it is still useful as a gossip protocol to distribute new keys and
signatures.

My prediction (given keyserver operator buy-in) is, some cohorts of
like-minded keyserver operators will coordinate on their settings. Peers in
these cohorts will keep relatively more closely in sync and propagate key
material faster amongst themselves, than with those that have different
policies that cause them to diverge more widely. Peers across these more
divergent cohorts may still peer at a lower frequency, so key material
accepted by both may still propagate.

-Casey

Re: [Keyserver] Hockeypuck 2.1.0 released (Andrew Gallagher) [ In reply to ]
> On 11 Dec 2020, at 05:11, Casey Marshall via Gnupg-users <gnupg-users@gnupg.org> wrote:
>
> Peers across these more divergent cohorts may still peer at a lower frequency, so key material accepted by both may still propagate.

But the problem with divergence isn’t loss of efficiency - divergent servers don’t gracefully degrade. They work perfectly fine until they hit the polynomial limit, and then they just break. And they break in a way
that requires reloading the entire database from scratch.