Mailing List Archive

Smartcard not initialized automatically on GnuPG 2.2.24
Hello,

I recently got the "new" version of GnuPG 2.2.24 through my distribution
and noticed some form of bug together with my smartcard.

When I attempt to use gpg to decrypt something I get the following
error:
$ gpg -d test.gpg
gpg: encrypted with 4096-bit RSA key, ID 1632F70C0F463100, created 2015-08-24
"Heiko Carrasco <heiko.carrasco@yahoo.com>
gpg: public key decryption failed: Invalid ID
gpg: decryption failed: No secret key

I have to manually run some command which interacts with the smartcard
such as gpg --card-status for it to show a pinentry to enter my
smartcard pin.
This was not the case with 2.2.23, which automatically asks me for my
pin when executing the above command.

There wasn't anything regarding this in the changelog as far as I can see,
so this might be a bug?

Cheers,

Heiko
Re: Smartcard not initialized automatically on GnuPG 2.2.24 [ In reply to ]
On Donnerstag, 10. Dezember 2020 11:57:53 CET Heiko Carrasco via Gnupg-users
wrote:
> I recently got the "new" version of GnuPG 2.2.24 through my distribution
> and noticed some form of bug together with my smartcard.

It's a regression. It has already been fixed. See below. You could ask your
distribution to quickly update to GnuPG 2.2.25.

> When I attempt to use gpg to decrypt something I get the following
> error:
> $ gpg -d test.gpg
> gpg: encrypted with 4096-bit RSA key, ID 1632F70C0F463100, created
> 2015-08-24 "Heiko Carrasco <heiko.carrasco@yahoo.com>
> gpg: public key decryption failed: Invalid ID
> gpg: decryption failed: No secret key

From the release notes for GnuPG 2.2.25 ([1]):
=====
Noteworthy changes in version 2.2.25

* scd: Fix regression in 2.2.24 requiring gpg --card-status before
signing or decrypting. [#5065]
=====

Regards,
Ingo