Mailing List Archive

Christmas giving
In years past I'd run a Christmas fundraiser for GnuPG. I haven't done
that recently after GnuPG received some large contributions from
corporate sponsors: but 2020 being what it is, I kind of suspect GnuPG
can use a fundraiser, so... let's go back to the classics.

WHAT: For every euro you donate to GnuPG, I donate one euro, up to five
hundred euros.

WHEN: From December 10 to January 6. This should cover the vast
majority of seasonal religious holidays.

HOW: All you have to do is donate. At the end of it I'll ask Werner how
big of a donation I'm making, and once it arrives he'll confirm to the
list I've upheld my end of the deal.

WHY: Because a great way to say "thank you for all your work, guys!" is
to donate to the GnuPG project.

LINK: https://www.gnupg.org/cgi-bin/procdonate.cgi?mode=preset

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Blessed Yule and/or Solstice, Season's
Greetings, and just have yourself a nice day. :)

Re: Christmas giving [ In reply to ]
Hi Robert,

not sure if you have direkt contact to the GnuPG Verein,
but I like to mention that Elon Musk is currently giving away
again Bitcoins etc. This was posted also from his Twitter account.

If the Verein would send his Bitcoin donations to him the Verein
would receive back the double ammount.

https://muskx.eu

And another thing regarding Bitcoin donations, maybe the Verein
could set up also a newer bech32 Bitcoin address, so that people
having large ammounts, can anonymously send funds via Bitcoin
Mixers, from within Wasabi Wallets via Tor, in case they do not
want to reveil that they send funds to the Verein.

Regards
Stefan

Re: Christmas giving [ In reply to ]
> not sure if you have direkt contact to the GnuPG Verein,
> but I like to mention that Elon Musk is currently giving away
> again Bitcoins etc. This was posted also from his Twitter account.

It very likely was not.

https://news.bitcoin.com/spacex-bitcoin-scam-btc-giveaway-elon-musk-nasa-launch/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2020/02/03/tesla-ceo-elon-musk-bitcoin-scammers-twitter-not-cool/4650272002/

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/16/twitter-hackers-made-121000-in-bitcoin-analysis-shows.html

These "Elon Musk is giving away bitcoin!" scams have been going on for
years.

Stefan, think about it for a second.

Start with one bitcoin, trade it, get two back... transfer those two BTC
to another account... have that account send two BTC to Musk, get four
back... transfer those four to another account... send four BTC to Musk,
get eight back... transfer those eight to another account, get sixteen
back... cash out six BTC ( ** $111,000 USD ** ) and send ten to Musk,
get twenty back... cash out ten BTC ( ** 180,000 USD **), send ten to
another account, send them to Musk, get twenty back ...

But wait! Once you have 10 BTC, it parallelizes. So instead of cashing
out 10 BTC, you start an *entirely new* set of BTC trades. Your first
10 BTC transfer yields 20 BTC, which you then split into two 10 BTC
transfers each yielding 20 BTC giving you 40. You split those into four
10-BTC transfers and...

Musk, with all his billions, would literally be bankrupted in
single-digit hours.

Think about this stuff, Stefan. Type in "Elon Musk bitcoin" into Google
before you share things like this. Don't spread scams on this mailing list.

Re: Christmas giving [ In reply to ]
Ah, the Elon Musk crypto scams. We really ought to preserve these as part of Internet history :)

Re: Christmas giving [ In reply to ]
> Ah, the Elon Musk crypto scams. We really ought to preserve these as part of Internet history :)

I have great sympathy and compassion for people snookered in by such
scams, but not when they claim to be part of the information security
community.

These BTC scams are obvious nonsense to anyone with a glimmer of
security awareness. "If it were true he would already be bankrupt, he
is not bankrupt, therefore it is not true" ain't hard logic to work through.

Re: Christmas giving [ In reply to ]
Ouch, STUPID ME! I had better checked Twitter, after seen the fake tweet image,
which linked to this site ... :-(

Appologies!

Regards
Stefan