Mailing List Archive

Mobile mini computers for GnuPG/OpenPGP usage instead of smartphone usage
Hi all,

some of you may remember the recent thread from me about OpenPGP usage
with smartphones. Since I sold my Android smartphone a while ago I thought
why not look for other mobile devices, which are smaller than regular notebooks
and which are maybe better suited (for me) than pure Linux smartphones.

This would also have the advantage that one can use his preferred MUA
instead of the once available for Android/iOS.

After googling a bit I found these IMHO super mini PCs, which looked very
attractive to me and I purchased one (should be delivered in a couple of days).

https://www.gpd.hk/gpdmicropc

and for fans of MacBook designs:

https://www.gpd.hk/gpdpocket2

Hope you find this info useful!

P.S. I purchased the GPD MicroPC with Ubuntu Mate instead of Microsoft Windows.

P.P.S. These little computers are mostly sold out when looking around, but I had
luck to find a German reseller who still has some in stock.

Regards
Stefan

Re: Mobile mini computers for GnuPG/OpenPGP usage instead of smartphone usage [ In reply to ]
El día sábado, noviembre 28, 2020 a las 07:59:40a. m. +0000, Stefan Claas via Gnupg-users escribió:

> After googling a bit I found these IMHO super mini PCs, which looked very
> attractive to me and I purchased one (should be delivered in a couple of days).
>
> https://www.gpd.hk/gpdmicropc
>
> and for fans of MacBook designs:
>
> https://www.gpd.hk/gpdpocket2
>
> Hope you find this info useful!
>
> P.S. I purchased the GPD MicroPC with Ubuntu Mate instead of Microsoft Windows.
>
> P.P.S. These little computers are mostly sold out when looking around, but I had
> luck to find a German reseller who still has some in stock.

Hi Stefan,

Could you please share with me the contact to the German reseller?
Thanks in advance.

Have you seen this alternative: https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-visual-walkthrough/
I funded the campaign in October 2017 (USD 599) and now, after three years
they start delivery to the backers.

matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ? guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
??? ????? ??? ??????, ??? ?????? ??? ?????????? (??a????? ????? ?????)

Re: Mobile mini computers for GnuPG/OpenPGP usage instead of smartphone usage [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 9:48 AM Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> Could you please share with me the contact to the German reseller?
> Thanks in advance.

Hi Matthias,

sure, I just send you an email via my ctemplar account.

Best regards
Stefan

Re: Mobile mini computers for GnuPG/OpenPGP usage instead of smartphone usage [ In reply to ]
Hello Stefan,

Am 28.11.20 um 08:59 schrieb Stefan Claas via Gnupg-users:
> Hi all,
>
> some of you may remember the recent thread from me about OpenPGP usage
> with smartphones. Since I sold my Android smartphone a while ago I thought
> why not look for other mobile devices, which are smaller than regular notebooks
> and which are maybe better suited (for me) than pure Linux smartphones.
>
> This would also have the advantage that one can use his preferred MUA
> instead of the once available for Android/iOS.
>
> After googling a bit I found these IMHO super mini PCs, which looked very
> attractive to me and I purchased one (should be delivered in a couple of days).
>
> https://www.gpd.hk/gpdmicropc
>
> and for fans of MacBook designs:
>
> https://www.gpd.hk/gpdpocket2
>
> Hope you find this info useful!
>
> P.S. I purchased the GPD MicroPC with Ubuntu Mate instead of Microsoft Windows.
>
> P.P.S. These little computers are mostly sold out when looking around, but I had
> luck to find a German reseller who still has some in stock.
>
> Regards
> Stefan

Could you please tell me more when you get this device?

best regards
Juergen

--
/¯\ No |
\ / HTML | Juergen Bruckner
Re: Mobile mini computers for GnuPG/OpenPGP usage instead of smartphone usage [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 3:38 PM Juergen Bruckner via Gnupg-users
<gnupg-users@gnupg.org> wrote:

> Hello Stefan,

[...]

> Could you please tell me more when you get this device?

Hi Juergen,

sure, I will tell you more once I have the device. It may take
a couple of days due to delivery schedules at DHL, because
of COVID-19.

Best regards
Stefan

Re: Mobile mini computers for GnuPG/OpenPGP usage instead of smartphone usage [ In reply to ]

> Could you please tell me more when you get this device?
>
> best regards
> Juergen

I will do too :-)

matthias

Re: Mobile mini computers for GnuPG/OpenPGP usage instead of smartphone usage [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 3:36 PM Ryan McGinnis <ryan@digicana.com> wrote:

> Hah, these look like they’re probably aimed at the pentesting market, they are indeed tiny as hell!

[...]

What I like to try out is to see how it works as offline device, i.e.
attaching the MicroPC to my dumb phone via USB (to send
GnuPG encrypted MMS) or to my PC via the serial port and then
CoolTerm usage on both.

Regards
Stefan

Re: Mobile mini computers for GnuPG/OpenPGP usage instead of smartphone usage [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 4:49 PM Stefan Claas
<spam.trap.mailing.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 3:38 PM Juergen Bruckner via Gnupg-users
> <gnupg-users@gnupg.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Stefan,
>
> [...]
>
> > Could you please tell me more when you get this device?
>
> Hi Juergen,
>
> sure, I will tell you more once I have the device. It may take
> a couple of days due to delivery schedules at DHL, because
> of COVID-19.

Hi Juergen,

So, yesterday the device arrived and today it was picked up at the DHL bus.

I am really excited about this little MicroPC! It has the highest quality
finishing and looks and feels better than one might expect from the photos.
So 1A quality! The MicroPC is also quite fast, because Ubuntu Mate starts
quickly and you can work smoothly, even in the dark, because the keyboard
is illuminated.

Once time permits, I will install some packages and do further testing.

Best regards
Stefan