Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Five volunteers needed (EU .... Are you sure that this is really advantageous? [ In reply to ]
On 2020-10-11 at 17:41 +0200, Stefan Claas wrote:

> I had not set a password, so that the recipients can play with it.
> With a password set the NFC tag can not be written to.

Bob may be expecting to receive the safe, read-only NFC tag from Alice,
but Eve might have replaced it with a malicious one.

Re: Five volunteers needed (EU .... Are you sure that this is really advantageous? [ In reply to ]
?ngel wrote:

> On 2020-10-11 at 17:41 +0200, Stefan Claas wrote:
> >
> > I had not set a password, so that the recipients can play with it.
> > With a password set the NFC tag can not be written to.
> >

> Bob may be expecting to receive the safe, read-only NFC tag from Alice,
> but Eve might have replaced it with a malicious one.

Alice can purchase tamper proof NFC stickers which when stripped off get
destroyed. :-)

Regards
Stefan

--
NaClbox: cc5c5f846c661343745772156a7751a5eb34d3e83d84b7d6884e507e105fd675
The computer helps us to solve problems, we did not have without him.

Re: Five volunteers needed (EU .... Are you sure that this is really advantageous? [ In reply to ]
Hi

On Wednesday 14 October 2020 at 8:09:56 AM, in
<mid:20201014080956.00002daa@300baud.de>, Stefan Claas wrote:-

> Alice can purchase tamper proof NFC stickers which
> when stripped off get
> destroyed. :-)

And Eve's replacement sticker added over the top of the destroyed sticker.

--
Best regards

MFPA <mailto:2017-r3sgs86x8e-lists-groups@riseup.net>

COMMITTEE: A body that keeps minutes and wastes hours.
Re: Five volunteers needed (EU .... Are you sure that this is really advantageous? [ In reply to ]
MFPA wrote:

> Hi
>

> On Wednesday 14 October 2020 at 8:09:56 AM, in
> <mid:20201014080956.00002daa@300baud.de>, Stefan Claas wrote:-
>

> > Alice can purchase tamper proof NFC stickers which
> > when stripped off get
> > destroyed. :-)
>
> And Eve's replacement sticker added over the top of the destroyed sticker.

But this would mean that Eve is in possession of the secret key or pass
phrase used with their encryption software.

Regards
Stefan

Re: Five volunteers needed (EU .... Are you sure that this is really advantageous? [ In reply to ]
CIA Agent 1: Swap out that NFC tag with the malicious one.
CIA Agent 2: But he put a little sticker on it!
CIA Agent 1: My God, all hope is lost

On 10/14/20 2:09 AM, Stefan Claas wrote:
> Ángel wrote:
>
>> On 2020-10-11 at 17:41 +0200, Stefan Claas wrote:
>>> I had not set a password, so that the recipients can play with it.
>>> With a password set the NFC tag can not be written to.
>>>
>> Bob may be expecting to receive the safe, read-only NFC tag from Alice,
>> but Eve might have replaced it with a malicious one.
> Alice can purchase tamper proof NFC stickers which when stripped off get
> destroyed. :-)
>
> Regards
> Stefan
>
> --
> NaClbox: cc5c5f846c661343745772156a7751a5eb34d3e83d84b7d6884e507e105fd675
> The computer helps us to solve problems, we did not have without him.

-Ryan McGinnis
http://bigstormpicture.com
PGP Fingerprint: 5C73 8727 EE58 786A 777C 4F1D B5AA 3FA3 486E D7AD
Re: Five volunteers needed (EU .... Are you sure that this is really advantageous? [ In reply to ]
Ryan McGinnis via Gnupg-users wrote:

> CIA Agent 1: Swap out that NFC tag with the malicious one.
> CIA Agent 2: But he put a little sticker on it!
> CIA Agent 1: My God, all hope is lost

Slightly OT, Germany's BSI just send out a couple of days ago
*postal* mail to companies and organisations about a threat
and *not* email. :-)

I also released today an English version, along with a German
version of my binary to 5-letter word encoder/decoder, thus
allowing people low on budget to create small binary encrypted
blobs and encode them, so that they don't have to purchase NFC
tags and a reader/writer for their offline computer and they
can then also avoid purchasing a printer for QR-Codes and are
then able to write down the 5-letter words from the screen on
a piece of paper and put it in a security envelope. :-)

https://github.com/sac001/b2w/

This procedure is a bit time consuming, but it is an option.

Regards
Stefan