Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Five volunteers needed (EU only please) [ In reply to ]
Remco R?nders wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> I feel (speaking only for myself), that this subject has ventured off far enough
> to no longer be on topic for this list, if it ever was to begin with. While it
> might make for interesting reading, other forums might be more suitable for it,
> or even a postal only remailing club or something, I don't know.

Hi Remco,

sorry about that, but at least this tread is intended for GnuPG users and
an IMHO new way for GnuPG users to communicate and due to this subject it
can get quite a bit off-topic. But since this is relatively small ASCII
text only and not the same as HTML spam email, with pictures, I desperately
hope that the majority of GnuPG users can handle this. Or maybe people
could put such threads and me into killfiles etc.

Regards
Stefan

--
NaClbox: cc5c5f846c661343745772156a7751a5eb34d3e83d84b7d6884e507e105fd675
The computer helps us to solve problems, we did not have without him.

Re: Five volunteers needed (EU only please) [ In reply to ]
Stefan Claas wrote:

> Ryan McGinnis via Gnupg-users wrote:
>
> > Perhaps just use QR codes?? Easily scanned and imported by a digital
> > device.? Message size is limited, but probably enough.? If not, you can
> > maybe use multiple QR codes.? This reply, encrypted to you, is contained
> > in the linked QR below:
>
> I just downloaded a free QR-Code app from Microsoft's Store and I was able
> to decode and decrypt the message. It ends with '...linked QR below:'
> but does not contain the link. I must say that for me and the provide
> content, the image size is to big for my taste. I will feed now the message
> into JAB-code and see how big the image size is there.
>
> A user reported to me that with his QR-Code software he was not able to
> decode the message. He usually had always good results with QR-code in the
> past. Maybe you can tell me what QR-Code software you used, so that the
> user can try with a different or the same software.

I received an encrypted postcard today, which included an NFC tag and a QR-code.

While decrypting the message from the NFC tag was no problem, the very dense
QR-code I was not able to decode. And I used a high dpi setting for scanning.

Regards
Stefan

Re: Five volunteers needed (EU only please) [ In reply to ]
Hello Stefan.

Am Montag, den 05.10.2020, 17:37 +0200 schrieb Stefan Claas:
> Hi all,
>
> while I did some JAB-Code experiments with MMS, to send GnuPG
> messages with a dumb
> phone, I came up now with a new idea. :-)
>
> For that I need five people who are willing to share with me their
> postal address.
> You can send me your address GnuPG encrypted. I will not store your
> address on my
> computer and will delete your email, once I received it.
>
> My new idea is to send encrypted postcards or letters, with an NFC
> tag attached,
> containing a GnuPG clearsigned test message. I like to see if the
> postcards will
> arrive in proper condition, so that the NFC tags are still readable.
> [...]

For this test I would suggest to not use NFC stickers or anything like
that. I would suggest using plastic cards with embedded NFC Tags.

The reason for my suggestion. I'm working at a company which creates
and sells solutions for european transportation and logistics
companies. We use NFC tags for a drivers license check. These are
stickers on the drivers license card to check if it is available.
Removing them from the card destroys them. We now had multiple times
the problem that those stickers were dead on arrival. We did a fw tests
ans saw that the problem occurs only after the tags were on the postal
way. Perhaps some strong magnetic fields in the postal systems, or
anything like that.

Now as we send and receive those tags in boxes, we didn't have Problems
anymore.

Cards never had this problem, as far as I can tell.

The Tags should have enough memory to take encrypted messages. I think
at least 12k. The more memory, the longer can the message be.

Another benefit of using plastic cards instead of sticker tags is: They
are reusable.

Kind regards,
Dirk

--
Dirk Gottschalk

GPG key Fingerprint: C8F4 4499 861E D5B7 66FC  18F5 8E34 AF58 6574 32C8
Keyoxide: https://keybase.io/dgottschalk
GitHub: https://github.com/Dirk1980ac
Re: Five volunteers needed (EU only please) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 1:13 PM Dirk Gottschalk via Gnupg-users
<gnupg-users@gnupg.org> wrote:

> Hello Stefan.

Hi Dirk (long time not seen you!),

[...]

> For this test I would suggest to not use NFC stickers or anything like
> that. I would suggest using plastic cards with embedded NFC Tags.
>
> The reason for my suggestion. I'm working at a company which creates
> and sells solutions for european transportation and logistics
> companies. We use NFC tags for a drivers license check. These are
> stickers on the drivers license card to check if it is available.
> Removing them from the card destroys them. We now had multiple times
> the problem that those stickers were dead on arrival. We did a fw tests
> ans saw that the problem occurs only after the tags were on the postal
> way. Perhaps some strong magnetic fields in the postal systems, or
> anything like that.
>
> Now as we send and receive those tags in boxes, we didn't have Problems
> anymore.
>
> Cards never had this problem, as far as I can tell.
>
> The Tags should have enough memory to take encrypted messages. I think
> at least 12k. The more memory, the longer can the message be.
>
> Another benefit of using plastic cards instead of sticker tags is: They
> are reusable.

Thanks, I am aware of these cards, but wanted for my tests to avoid
higher costs and I only wanted to see if the postcards and tags
arrived in proper condition.

Should I use cards in the future then I would also use security envelopes.

Best regards
Stefan

Re: Five volunteers needed (EU only please) [ In reply to ]
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 12:10:59 +0100
> From: Dirk Gottschalk <dirk.gottschalk1980@googlemail.com>
> To: gnupg-users@gnupg.org
> Subject: Re: Five volunteers needed (EU only please)

> Am Montag, den 05.10.2020, 17:37 +0200 schrieb Stefan Claas:
> >
> > My new idea is to send encrypted postcards or letters, with an NFC
> > tag attached,
> > containing a GnuPG clearsigned test message. ...
> > [...]
> The Tags should have enough memory to take encrypted messages. I think
> at least 12k. The more memory, the longer can the message be.

It might be better only to use tags that have relatively small amounts of
memory, in order to be more secure: if your computer has been hacked, it
may try to do arbitrary code execution of data on the NFC, where someone
may have deceptively planted malware.

Kind regards,

Mark Fernandes

1 2  View All