Mailing List Archive

Passphrase Pop up
Hi there we recently upgrade our Windows server from 2008 to 2019 and Gnu to 3.1.12

Since then the command line

type passphrase.txt | gpg --passphrase-fd 0 --no-tty --batch -o exp.txt -d extract_ *.txt.pgp

has stopped working as the passphrase window keeps popping up.

we run this as a schedule task.

Can someone please help me.

Regards

Ian MacLauchlan
Business Systems Administrator
SmartStream Technologies (Bristol) Limited
1690 Park Avenue, Aztec West, Almondsbury, Bristol BS32 4RA

Tel : +44 (0) 1454 855 146
Mob : +44 (0) 777 339 1045
Switch : +44 (0) 1454 617 020

Email ian.maclauchlan@smartstream-stp.com<mailto:ian.maclauchlan@smartstream-stp.com>
www.smartstream-stp.com<http://www.smartstream-stp.com/>

________________________________
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Re: Passphrase Pop up [ In reply to ]
If this is run as a scheduled task and with the passphrase kept in a text file, perhaps just remove the passphrase?

Re: Passphrase Pop up [ In reply to ]
Ian Maclauchlan <Ian.Maclauchlan@smartstream-stp.com> wrote:
> Hi there we recently upgrade our Windows server from 2008 to 2019 and Gnu to 3.1.12

??

GNU is a vague operating system (just like, e. g., ‘UNIX’) and it has no versions per se.

GnuPG version 3 does not exist yet. The stable release is 2.2.21.

I guess, you mean GnuPG 2.1.12. (Why not the latest, by the way?)

> Since then the command line
>
> type passphrase.txt | gpg --passphrase-fd 0 --no-tty --batch -o exp.txt -d extract_ *.txt.pgp
>
> has stopped working as the passphrase window keeps popping up.

> Can someone please help me.

‘The GNU Privacy Guard Manual’ can (emphasis mine):

| '--passphrase-fd N'
| Read the passphrase from file descriptor N. Only the first line
| will be read from file descriptor N. If you use 0 for N, the
| passphrase will be read from STDIN. This can only be used if only
| one passphrase is supplied.
|
| Note that since Version 2.0 this passphrase is only used if the
| option '--batch' has also been given. Since Version 2.1 the
| *'--pinentry-mode'* also needs to be set to 'loopback'.

— (info "(gnupg) GPG Esoteric Options")

> The information in this email is confidential...

Nope, you?ve just posted it to the public mailing list.
Re: Passphrase Pop up [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 02:41, Dmitry Alexandrov said:

> GnuPG version 3 does not exist yet. The stable release is 2.2.21.

The OP probably meant Gpg4win 3.1.12 which is our Windows installer
featuring GnuPG 2.2.21, Kleoptra, and our Outlook plugin.

Shalom-Salam,

Werner

RE: Passphrase Pop up [ In reply to ]
Sorry you are correct!!