Mailing List Archive

Have gpg-preset-passphrase always required a keygrip? (was: Newbie question.)
Peter Lebbing <peter@digitalbrains.com> wrote:
> You can actually unlock keys the way GnuPG intends to do that with:
>
> $ my-unlocker | /usr/lib/gnupg/gpg-preset-passphrase --preset <keygrip>
>
> You can find the keygrip for your keys with:
>
> $ gpg --with-keygrip --list-secret-keys
>
> You do need it for every subkey you want to use like this separately,

Hm...

Did not gpg-preset-passphrase(1) worked perfectly on any NAMEs (IDs, UIDs) as well some time ago? Or is that me, who have some false memories?
Re: Have gpg-preset-passphrase always required a keygrip? (was: Newbie question.) [ In reply to ]
Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:

> Peter Lebbing <peter@digitalbrains.com> wrote:
> > You can actually unlock keys the way GnuPG intends to do that with:
> >
> > $ my-unlocker | /usr/lib/gnupg/gpg-preset-passphrase --preset <keygrip>
> >
> > You can find the keygrip for your keys with:
> >
> > $ gpg --with-keygrip --list-secret-keys
> >
> > You do need it for every subkey you want to use like this separately,
>
> Hm...
>
> Did not gpg-preset-passphrase(1) worked perfectly on any NAMEs (IDs,
> UIDs) as well some time ago? Or is that me, who have some false
> memories?

For gpg-agent 2.0.x I needed to use gpg --fingerprint --fingerprint xxx@xxx
to get the cache id to use with gpg-preset-passphrase --preset.
Since then, I need gpg2 --fingerprint --with-keygrip xxx@xxx.
So it probably changed from fingerprint to keygrip with 2.1
(but I don't know exactly when).

cheers,
raf