Mailing List Archive

gpg: keyserver refresh failed: No keyserver available
If this is the wrong place to ask this question, I apologize.

FreeBSD 11.4-RELEASE

I have not been able to refresh the keys on my system. I have run the
following command with the error as shown.

gpg2 --refresh-keys
gpg: enabled debug flags: memstat
gpg: refreshing 168 keys from hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
gpg: keyserver refresh failed: No keyserver available
gpg: keydb: handles=1 locks=0 parse=168 get=168
gpg: build=0 update=0 insert=0 delete=0
gpg: reset=0 found=168 not=1 cache=0 not=0
gpg: kid_not_found_cache: count=0 peak=0 flushes=0
gpg: sig_cache: total=0 cached=0 good=0 bad=0
gpg: random usage: poolsize=600 mixed=0 polls=0/0 added=0/0
outmix=0 getlvl1=0/0 getlvl2=0/0
gpg: rndjent stat: collector=0x0000000000000000 calls=0 bytes=0
gpg: secmem usage: 0/32768 bytes in 0 blocks

This is the version info for gpg2:
gpg2 --version
gpg (GnuPG) 2.2.20
libgcrypt 1.8.5
<https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

Home: /home/gerard/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA (1), ELG (16), DSA (17), ECDH (18), ECDSA (19), EDDSA (22)
Cipher: IDEA (S1), 3DES (S2), CAST5 (S3), BLOWFISH (S4), AES (S7),
AES192 (S8), AES256 (S9), TWOFISH (S10), CAMELLIA128 (S11),
CAMELLIA192 (S12), CAMELLIA256 (S13)
SHA224 (H11)
Compression: Uncompressed (Z0), ZIP (Z1), ZLIB (Z2), BZIP2 (Z3)

I don't believe it is a firewall problem, since there is no entry in
the firewall log to even suggest that gpg2 tried to access anything.

I have a Windows 10 machine that is using Kleopatra, on the same
network, and it is working perfectly.

I was hoping that someone could give me some suggestions on how to
debug this problem.

Thanks!

--
Jerry
Re: gpg: keyserver refresh failed: No keyserver available [ In reply to ]
Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net> wrote:
> I have not been able to refresh the keys on my system. I have run the following command with the error as shown.
>
> gpg2 --refresh-keys
> gpg: enabled debug flags: memstat
> gpg: refreshing 168 keys from hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
> gpg: keyserver refresh failed: No keyserver available

> I don't believe it is a firewall problem, since there is no entry in the firewall log to even suggest that gpg2 tried to access anything.

That is, your have not tried to check the connection on the same machine but with some other tool first? Why? FWIW, HKP is HTTP on port 11371.

> I have a Windows 10 machine that is using Kleopatra, on the same network, and it is working perfectly.

I do not remember for sure, but is not it, at least, preconfigured to use HKPS, i. e. HTTP/TLS on port 443, if not some proprietary keyserver instead of SKS pool?
Re: gpg: keyserver refresh failed: No keyserver available [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 09:11, Jerry said:

> gpg2 --refresh-keys
> gpg: enabled debug flags: memstat
> gpg: refreshing 168 keys from hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
> gpg: keyserver refresh failed: No keyserver available

Please add in the error case always the --verbose option which may yield
more diagnostics.

For network related problems, it is best to enable logging for dirmngr:
Put

log-file /foo/bar/dirmngr.log
verbose
debug ipc

into ~/.gnupg/dirmngr.conf and

gpgconf --kill dirmngr

(see watchgnupg(1) for a consolidated debug output of all components)
If the output does not show anything helpful, add more debug options:

debug ipc,network,dns

will give you a trace of all requests to dirmngr (ipc), Network
conenctions and data (network), and DNS lookups (dns).

dirmngr --debug help

gives a list of such debug options.

Sometimes it is required to either add the option
"disable-ipv4" or "disable-ipv6" to dirmngr.conf. After changing any
dirmngr option better restart dimngr as described above.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner