Mailing List Archive

Standalone signature (0x02) ?
Hello,

I am studying the RFC 4880 and I am using GPG as a tool to experiment.

I explored PGP signatures. You can find notes here :

https://github.com/denis-beurive/bouncy-castle-examples/blob/master/doc/pgp-sig.md

I pretty much explore all types of signatures, except one : *Standalone
signature (sigclass = 0x02*).

In the RFC, you can read :
This signature is a signature of only its own subpacket contents. It is
calculated identically to a signature over a zero-length binary document.
Note that it doesn't make sense to have a V3 standalone signature.

This description remains mysterious. I looked for this signature in various
PGP documents but could not spot one.

*Is it possible to generate this kind of signature with GPG ?*

*What is this signature used for ?*

My intuition tells me that it may be used in association with hashed
subpackets. However, I cannot find any document to confirm this intuition.

Thanks for your help,

Denis
Re: Standalone signature (0x02) ? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 14:14, Denis BEURIVE said:

> *Is it possible to generate this kind of signature with GPG ?*

No.

> *What is this signature used for ?*

I can't remember. I am pretty sure this has been discussed in the WG
back in 1998 or so. If you are really interested you could dive into
the archives or ask on the WG ML; maybe Jon Callas remembers for what it
was intended.

Shalom-Salam,

Werner

Re: Standalone signature (0x02) ? [ In reply to ]
Thank you Werner,

I'll look in the WG back in 1998 (for the "sake of completeness").

Regards,

Denis