Mailing List Archive

gpg generate key is not finishing
Attempting to generate a key on Solaris 10 server using the below command

gpg --full-generate-key --pinentry-mode=loopback

Everything seem to be working but the key generation never completes.

Its been setting at this point for 10 hours. I tried to produce more entropy by running suggested command on other console and the agent is running

root 8249 28754 0 21:48:19 pts/12 0:02 gpg --full-generate-key --pinentry-mode=loopback
root 17222 1 0 19:55:32 ? 0:08 gpg-agent --homedir /root/.gnupg --use-standard-socket --daemon

GnuPG needs to construct a user ID to identify your key.

Real name: root1
Email address: root@localhost
Comment:
You selected this USER-ID:
"root1 <root@localhost>"

Change (N)ame, (C)omment, (E)mail or (O)kay/(Q)uit? O
We need to generate a lot of random bytes. It is a good idea to perform
some other action (type on the keyboard, move the mouse, utilize the
disks) during the prime generation; this gives the random number
generator a better chance to gain enough entropy.
afffffkkdkdkdkdkdkkdkdkdkdkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

DXC Technology Company - Headquarters: 1775 Tysons Boulevard, Tysons, Virginia 22102, USA.
DXC Technology Company -- This message is transmitted to you by or on behalf of DXC Technology Company or one of its affiliates. It is intended exclusively for the addressee. The substance of this message, along with any attachments, may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information or information that is otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate any part of this message. If you have received this message in error, please destroy and delete all copies and notify the sender by return e-mail. Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind DXC Technology Company or any of its affiliates to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose. --.
Re: gpg generate key is not finishing [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 30 May 2020 14:51, Williams, Chad L said:
> Attempting to generate a key on Solaris 10 server using the below command
>
> gpg --full-generate-key --pinentry-mode=loopback

Do not use loopback unless you know what you are doing. Adding
--verbose should give you some insight what goes wrong.

On an old Solaris box you may want to run something like
find /usr -type f | xargs cat >/dev/null
which is more effective than typing on the keyboard.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

RE: gpg generate key is not finishing [ In reply to ]
I tried the suggested commands below and had the same results.

The key generations never finishes

[cid:image002.jpg@01D638BC.16B954A0]

Re: gpg generate key is not finishing [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 13:59, Williams, Chad L said:
> [cid:image002.jpg@01D638BC.16B954A0]

[.Which is a screenshot of the curses pinentry waiting for input.]

If you want the volunteers here to help you, it is important that you
write a proper bug report. This includes telling us the version of
GnuPG and of the OS, describing _exactly_ what you did, and providing
logs. You should be aware thata curses based panel disturbs
the stderr diagnostics printed to the tty; thus you should redirect it
to a log file.

BTW, there are commercial support service providers available [1] who will
be able to talk you to a solution.

Shalom-Salam,

Werner

[1] https://gnupg.org/service.html for a list. gnupg.com is my own
service which also develops and maintains GnuPG and friends.

RE: gpg generate key is not finishing [ In reply to ]
Is there a site to write the bug report or response to this email?

This is on Solaris UNIX 10 Sparc based system using below version of gnugp

133 PROD/ah57sdcux01013 /export/home/dca1367$ gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 2.2.20
libgcrypt 1.8.5
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

Home: /export/home/dca1367/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, ELG, DSA, ECDH, ECDSA, EDDSA
Cipher: IDEA, 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH,
CAMELLIA128, CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256

Re: gpg generate key is not finishing [ In reply to ]
Am Freitag 05 Juni 2020 15:16:13 schrieb Williams, Chad L via Gnupg-users:
> Is there a site to write the bug report or response to this email?

If the report is complete enough https://dev.gnupg.org/ may take it,
but often this ml or the devel ml is better.

The important part is the diagnosis logs, you enable them
with the -v and --debug command line flags.
And you may need shell redirection to see it. E.g.

GNUPGHOME=~/dot-gnupg-test2/ gpg -vvv --debug-all --quick-generate-key
test@example.com 2>debug-log.txt

Regards,
Bernhard
--
www.intevation.de/~bernhard ? +49 541 33 508 3-3
Intevation GmbH, Osnabr?ck, DE; Amtsgericht Osnabr?ck, HRB 18998