Mailing List Archive

Biometrics
On 25/05/2020 09:47, Micha? Górny wrote:
> ...and that's really a good thing they can do that instead of choosing
> a more painful way of getting your fingerprints.

How is that an advantage compared to passphrases? As soon as someone
threatens to go all XKCD 538 on you[1], just give them your passphrase.
No need to lend them your finger, either with or without you still
attached.

If this is your threat model, you need more than encryption or
biometrics.

... unless your whole comment was as serious as my comment about plastic
surgery of course :-) ...

More seriously, biometrics might be a nice deterrant to the casual
opportunistic curious peeker. It's quick, a finger swipe takes less time
and effort than a good passphrase. But it's not proper security in my
book.

Peter.

[1] https://xkcd.com/538/