Mailing List Archive

1 2 3  View All
Re: keys require a user-id [ In reply to ]
Werner Koch via Gnupg-users wrote:

> On Tue, 19 May 2020 10:29, Robert J. Hansen said:
>
> > * PII-free UIDs are possible today
>
> Well, according to European law this is not that easy because a public
> key is in most cases an attribute which identifies a natural person.

Curious as I am, did Mr Sch?nbohm never asked you why your public
keyblock is not signed by Governikus?

I ask, because don't you think that this could not have an impact on
the spread and usage of GnuPG in the EU for business purposes etc. and
for example if you would accept UID-less public keyblocks, privacy
concerned parents could for example allow their minors to use GnuPG,
while mom, dad or their teacher could sign their public keyblock?

Best regards
Stefan

--
Signal (Desktop) +4915172173279
https://keybase.io/stefan_claas

Re: keys require a user-id [ In reply to ]
Stefan Claas wrote:

> I ask, because don't you think that this could not have an impact on
> the spread and usage of GnuPG in the EU for business purposes etc.

With that I mean the acceptance of GnuPG Signatures, compared to costly
eIDAS solutions.

Re: keys require a user-id [ In reply to ]
It must be... With all the talk of "anonymous" keys I wanted to see if I
could create one with Kleopatra, especially since it says optional for
name.

Re: keys require a user-id [ In reply to ]
Did a bit more experimenting with it.  You can have something only in
the first name field but it has to be a minimum of 5 characters and the
first one must be a letter. ..

Re: keys require a user-id [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 03:27:28PM -0700, Mark wrote:
> Did a bit more experimenting with it.? You can have something only in
> the first name field but it has to be a minimum of 5 characters and the
> first one must be a letter. ..?

*sigh*
https://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

> On 5/20/2020 3:16 PM, Mark wrote:
> > It must be... With all the talk of "anonymous" keys I wanted to see if I
> > could create one with Kleopatra, especially since it says optional for
> > name.

> >> This must be a Kleopatra limitation. I have successfully created IDs consisting of a single word using the gpg command line.
> >>
> >> Such a limitation would be user-hostile, as there are people in some cultures who have only one name, the Indonesian dictator Suharto being one famous example.

Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library
755 W. Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202
317-274-0749
www.ulib.iupui.edu
Re: keys require a user-id [ In reply to ]
Mark wrote:
Hi,

> Did a bit more experimenting with it.? You can have something only in
> the first name field but it has to be a minimum of 5 characters and
> the first one must be a letter. ..

If you are familiar with GnuPG in command line mode you may try out
sequoia pgp, which I compiled a Windows binary for, so that you
can see how easy it is to have UID-less public keyblocks and how
to assign labels for such keys.

dkg once said IIRC 'less is more', not in this context but this
is what I love about sequoia pgp.

https://keybase.pub/stefan_claas/software/sequoia-pgp_Win64.zip

https://docs.sequoia-pgp.org/sq/index.html

Regards
Stefan?

Re: keys require a user-id [ In reply to ]
Thanks I may take a look at it and just see what it does. I'm still VERY
much a novice in regards to all this so just trying to learn more. My
"experiment" with Kleopatra was just to see if I could since it said
"optional" for the name part.

Sorry, not sure who dkg is but have seen those initials mentioned a few
times.

Re: keys require a user-id [ In reply to ]
That is very true.? I have a friend whose first name is M'Lou and she's
had all kinds of issues when systems freak out over her first name.

Re: keys require a user-id [ In reply to ]
Mark wrote:

> Thanks I may take a look at it and just see what it does. I'm still
> VERY much a novice in regards to all this so just trying to learn
> more. My "experiment" with Kleopatra was just to see if I could since
> it said "optional" for the name part.?
>
> Sorry, not sure who dkg is but have seen those initials mentioned a
> few times.

Hi,

dkg stands for Daniel Kahn Gillmor. He is a highly respected member
in the GnuPG/OpenPGP scene and maintains GnuPG for the Linux Debian
OS.

He is also author of the Abuse-Resistant OpenPGP Keystores Internet
Draft and also author of the Stateless OpenPGP command line interface
framework.

If you do a Google look-up for him you can learn more about him.

Regards
Stefan

Re: keys require a user-id [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 20 May 2020 19:11, Stefan Claas said:

> Curious as I am, did Mr Schönbohm never asked you why your public
> keyblock is not signed by Governikus?

I don't know a Mr. Schönbohm. I know Governikus and recently noticed
that their software does not even support the recommended set of
algorithm for ECC in S/MIME.

> https://keybase.io/stefan_claas

Mandating no user id and using a service which by design is the quite
the opposite of it ;-)

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

Re: keys require a user-id [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 20 May 2020 15:16, Mark said:
> It must be... With all the talk of "anonymous" keys I wanted to see if I
> could create one with Kleopatra, especially since it says optional for
> name.

The name should indeed be optiona; If that has not been fixed in the
latest version, please file a bug.

GPG has always allowed to create a key with just a mail address:

$ gpg --gen-key
Note: Use "gpg --full-generate-key" for a full featured key generation dialog.

GnuPG needs to construct a user ID to identify your key.

Real name:
Email address: foo@example.org
You selected this USER-ID:
"foo@example.org"

Change (N)ame, (E)mail, or (O)kay/(Q)uit? o

Or with the not anymore new quick command:

$ gpg --quick-gen-key foo@example.org
About to create a key for:
"foo@example.org"

Continue? (Y/n)

Now, if you want to have the fingerprint as a User-ID, that needs a bit
of extra work: First create a key with some arbitrary user-id, then use
--edit-key to add a new User-ID containg the fingerprint, delete the
original User-ID, save, and publish the key. I do not suggest such user
IDs because they would only confuse users.

Shalom-Salam,

Werner

Re: keys require a user-id [ In reply to ]
Werner Koch wrote:

> On Wed, 20 May 2020 19:11, Stefan Claas said:
>
> > Curious as I am, did Mr Sch?nbohm never asked you why your public
> > keyblock is not signed by Governikus?
>
> I don't know a Mr. Sch?nbohm. I know Governikus and recently noticed
> that their software does not even support the recommended set of
> algorithm for ECC in S/MIME.

Ok, I thought at least he knows you.

> > https://keybase.io/stefan_claas
>
> Mandating no user id and using a service which by design is the quite
> the opposite of it ;-)

Well, that is easy to explain. I use keybase for file storage (250 GB
per user) and for chatting there with friends or in teams with other
people. Nice free service IMHO.

Regards
Stefan

Re: keys require a user-id [ In reply to ]
> dkg stands for Daniel Kahn Gillmor. He is a highly respected member
> in the GnuPG/OpenPGP scene and maintains GnuPG for the Linux Debian
> OS.

He would prefer you refer to Debian as the GNU/Linux Debian OS. :)

dkg is also a genuinely pleasant person. I've met him a couple of times
at conferences. He's very nice. We need more kind people in the
community. :)