How are you handling it in ages of mobiles?

Regards
Daniel
Re: Android [ In reply to ]
On 16-10-2019 13:02, Daniel Bossert wrote:

> Is anybody using pgp on Android? I did some years ago, would like to,
> but am afraid of security reason.

I use APG for old pgp 2.x keys and OpenKeyChain integrated in k9 mail
for modern keys. The secret keys are protected by a password, that's my
key protection. When I loose my phone, or when it gets stolen or
confiscated, I'll revoke the key and create a new one.

I don't believe anyone can protect a file on a phone against a skilled
forensics lab. Even the best protected mobiles get cracked eventually
(see the recent bootrom exploit in almost all iPhones for example).

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers

Re: Android [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 01:02:10PM +0200, Daniel Bossert wrote:

>Is anybody using pgp on Android? I did some years ago, would like to, but
am afraid of security reason.

Hi Daniel,

I'm using gnupg with Termux (Linux as app) on Android. And ssh for file
transfers too. Works for me, as I'm comfortable with commandline
interfaces, even on mobiles.

Cheers, JC

--
Doctorow's Law: Anytime someone puts a lock on something you own, against
your wishes, and doesn't give you the key, they're not doing it for your

Re: Android [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2019-10-16 at 13:02 +0200, Daniel Bossert wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is anybody using pgp on Android? I did some years ago, would like to, but am afraid of security reason.
>
> I have safed my keys on my laptop only.
>
> How are you handling it in ages of mobiles?

Get yourself a hardware key, and use that. I've been successfully using
USB NitroKey with OpenKeychain (for mail) and TermBot, though I admit
it's not the most convenient solution. FWIH, NFC keys are more
convenient; that is, if someone considers it safe to keep NFC enabled
with Google Pay installed.

--
Best regards,
Micha? Górny
Re: Android [ In reply to ]
YubiKeys are supported. You can use NFC key to perform crypto gimmicks or plug USB one.

OpenKeychain does support quite large palette of hardware tokens.

Paired with K-9 it actually provides relatively good UX.
Re: Android [ In reply to ]
On 10/16/2019 3:45 PM, Micha? Górny via Gnupg-users wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-10-16 at 13:02 +0200, Daniel Bossert wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Is anybody using pgp on Android? I did some years ago, would like to, but am afraid of security reason.
>>
>> I have safed my keys on my laptop only.
>>
>> How are you handling it in ages of mobiles?
>>

> Get yourself a hardware key, and use that. I've been successfully using
> USB NitroKey with OpenKeychain (for mail) and TermBot, though I admit
> it's not the most convenient solution. FWIH, NFC keys are more
> convenient; that is, if someone considers it safe to keep NFC enabled
> with Google Pay installed.

On AndroidI use k9mail with openkeychain and one subkey which has only
the sign capability.
The use of subkey makes it possible to revoke only that subkey incase of
lost of theft without having to revoked all your key.

--
John Doe

Re: Android [ In reply to ]
Am 16.10.19 um 13:02 schrieb Daniel Bossert:

> Is anybody using pgp on Android? I did some years ago, would like to,
> but am afraid of security reason.
>
> I have safed my keys on my laptop only.
>
> How are you handling it in ages of mobiles?

I use K-Mail and Openkeychain https://www.openkeychain.org/

If you want to store something safely you may use
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sovworks.eds.android&hl=en

I imported my key pair from a Linux PC.

BurkS