37.191.231.105 (part of keyserver pool) redirects to ... unknown location?
Hi

Since I know that the keyserver maintainers follow this list, I wonder what
happened to 37.191.231.105, which is part of the keyserver pool?

It currently HTTP-301-redirects to https://analytics.sumptuouscapital.com/ -
which also means that requests to URLs like http://keys.gnupg.net will sometimes
redirect a user to that location.

Mihai
Re: 37.191.231.105 (part of keyserver pool) redirects to ... unknown location? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 10:11, ionic@ionic.de said:

> which also means that requests to URLs like http://keys.gnupg.net will sometimes
> redirect a user to that location.

That is not correct. For quite some time that address is a hardwired to
avoid problems DNS problems (https://dev.gnupg.org/T3755):

/* We used to have DNS CNAME redirection from the URLs below to
* sks-keyserver pools. The idea was to allow for a quick way to
* switch to a different set of pools. The problem with that
* approach is that TLS needs to verify the hostname and - because
* DNS is not secured - it can only check the user supplied hostname
* and not a hostname from a CNAME RR. Thus the final server all
* need to have certificates with the actual pool name as well as
* for keys.gnupg.net - that would render the advantage of
* keys.gnupg.net useless and so we better give up on this. Because
* the keys.gnupg.net URL are still in widespread use we do a static
* mapping here.
*/
if (!strcmp (uri, "hkps://keys.gnupg.net")
|| !strcmp (uri, "keys.gnupg.net"))
uri = "hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net";
else if (!strcmp (uri, "https://keys.gnupg.net"))
uri = "https://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net";
else if (!strcmp (uri, "hkp://keys.gnupg.net"))
uri = "hkp://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net";
else if (!strcmp (uri, "http://keys.gnupg.net"))
uri = "http://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net";
else if (!strcmp (uri, "hkps://http-keys.gnupg.net")
|| !strcmp (uri, "http-keys.gnupg.net"))
uri = "hkps://ha.pool.sks-keyservers.net";
else if (!strcmp (uri, "https://http-keys.gnupg.net"))
uri = "https://ha.pool.sks-keyservers.net";
else if (!strcmp (uri, "hkp://http-keys.gnupg.net"))
uri = "hkp://ha.pool.sks-keyservers.net";
else if (!strcmp (uri, "http://http-keys.gnupg.net"))
uri = "http://ha.pool.sks-keyservers.net";

Shalom-Salam,

Werner

Re: 37.191.231.105 (part of keyserver pool) redirects to ... unknown location? [ In reply to ]
* On 9/16/19 3:27 PM, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 10:11, ionic@ionic.de said:
>
>> which also means that requests to URLs like http://keys.gnupg.net will sometimes
>> redirect a user to that location.
>
> That is not correct. For quite some time that address is a hardwired to
> avoid problems DNS problems (https://dev.gnupg.org/T3755):

I probably should have been more specific.

Yes, that holds for the GnuPG tool, but I was talking about users accessing the
keyserver web interface directly using a normal browser (e.g., for checking on
own or foreign public keys). The CNAME is still used in this case. :)

I was quite surprised to browse to http://keys.gnupg.net and be redirected to
https://analytics.sumptuouscapital.com/ - though luckily only the one mentioned
node does that.

Mihai