Mailing List Archive

Difficulty of fixing reconciliation
On 13/08/2019 09:54, Alessandro Vesely via Gnupg-users wrote:
> More than a reasonable number of signatures makes no sense in
> practice, so I agree lists should somehow be "fixed" so as not to
> accept an unreasonable number of signatures (reasonable == 2??)

Others tell us: the synchronization protocol as it is cannot be fixed.
You reply: I agree it should - somehow - be fixed?

The sort and unhelpful answer of course is: read the first sentence
again, or disprove it mathematically just like the algorithm was
mathematically proven to work in the first place.

But I'll try to sketch it. I don't know the synchronization protocol.
What I do know: the design goals included resistance to oppressive
regimes interested in deleting anything from the network, so it was to
be designed so it was technically impossible to delete anything.

Furthermore, this is from memory, but when I read basic information
about the SKS reconciliation algorithm, I see the terms "monotonicity
requirement for progress" or something alike.

I don't know if this is how it works, but this is how it could work:

Somebody has worked years on an algorithm for their PhD thesis which
fulfills an important task, and through those years a lot of
mathematical proofs have been spent on proving that it does what was
asked of it. One of these demands was that it could provably never
delete data that had been available earlier.

In order to make this algorithm, the PhD student discovered that they
needed to have some properties hold at *every* single step: otherwise
they could not prove that the algorithm was correct.

So let's see a single step in the reconciliation process as the
reconciliation of a single piece of data that has been added to the
network. The PhD student found they needed a requirement they called the
monotonicity requirement. I don't know what it means precisely in this
case, but I can take a guess: if two hosts are reconciling, the
monotonicity requirement could mean that the data at either one of these
hosts

- gets data added and everything that was there stays
- the data it has stays exactly the same

Those are the only two cases that satisfy the monotonicity requirement.

Furthermore, the end goal is for all hosts to have the same dataset, so
let's define progress as that the hosts become more and more alike: when
the number of differences between the hosts has reduced, we have made
progress. Once completed, it has progressed to the point where the
number of differences is zero. As an aside, it has to be proven that we
eventually progress to that point where they are the same, otherwise
there could be a dataset that just keeps spinning, running the algorithm
endlessly. In fact, it's well possible that this is where the
monotonicity requirement plays a role.

Let's do this with your max 2.

Somebody uses SKS keyserver network host A to add two signatures, call
them A1 and A2 to the key in question, which did not have any signatures
yet. Host A accepts them, they fall within the limits.

Either this same person or someone else adds two signatures on SKS
server B on the same key, call them B1 and B2. Hosts A and B haven't
reconciled yet, so B sees no signatures on the key and accepts.

Now they reconcile.

They compare their datasets. They are not the same: we still need to
have progress to get to completion. Let's reconcile signature A1. Server
A offers server B signature A1. Wait a minute, the key already has
signatures B1 and B2. Server B cannot accept signature A1, it would
break the contract that there are ever only 2 signatures on the key.

Now we have a deadlock. There is no following step that would fulfill
the monotonicity requirement as well as make any progress. The only way
to fulfill the monotonicity requirement is when server A keeps the
signatures A1 and A2, and server B keeps B1 and B2. But the progression
has halted and the process never finishes.

Ah, you say, why don't you /swap/ B1 for A1? Well, there is no such
thing as swapping. Swapping is simply the deleting of B1 followed by the
addition of A1. And monotonicity says we can't delete anything.

Besides, any limit on the number of signatures is a Denial-of-Service.
In your case, if Alice, Bob and Carol all sign eachother's keys, there's
no more room for other signatures. And if Mallory creates two bogus keys
and signs all the keys of Alice, Bob and Carol, the three can't add any
real signatures anymore.

The algorithm is designed to withstand very well funded actors,
oppressive regimes were what the designers were thinking of. Obviously,
the algorithm does this regardless of who is trying to do something
otherwise, no matter whether it is a repressive regime or the legitimate
operators and designers of the system.

> The bug, however, is in the program that chokes on poisoned keys!

It seems to me there is (almost?) always a denial of service. Offline
systems have more trouble with this than online systems, and even
websites (online systems) have really expensive world-spanning networks
to mitigate (rather than truly deal with) DoS-attacks.

Asymmetric crypto has a very unfavourable runtime <-> data size ratio.
With just a few bytes, you need a hell of a lot of mathematical
processing to interpret those bytes correctly. It's a really unfortunate
amplification factor: when an attacker hands you a very small payload,
you need a lot of runtime to decide if it was actually something you
wanted. There are better and worse ways to design the data for this
aspect, but it's always going to be on the computation-intensive side of
things.

So GnuPG gets a key with a lot of third-party signatures. It can keep
wading through all the crap looking for the real signatures the user
does want between all the crap added by attackers, and this takes a lot
of runtime.

Or it can decide: this is taking to long, I bail out.

In neither case will the user get that signature that they actually
want, and which according to Murphy is actually near the end of where
GnuPG will be looking.

So the user is denied the signatures it was looking for in either case.

> Was that fixed, yet?

How? You keep looking through the piles of crap, or you stop looking. In
either case, you don't find what you are looking for in a desirable
length of time.

I think the solution needs to be sought in a direction where GnuPG
doesn't have to look for valid data amidst a lot of invalid crap.
Because evaluating the invalid crap can always be made expensive, so
there should be other means to say "I'm not going to parse this, find
another way to get me the proper data where it's not buried in crap".

HTH,

Peter.

Re: Difficulty of fixing reconciliation [ In reply to ]
Peter Lebbing wrote:

[snip]

> Furthermore, the end goal is for all hosts to have the same dataset, so
> let's define progress as that the hosts become more and more alike: when
> the number of differences between the hosts has reduced, we have made
> progress. Once completed, it has progressed to the point where the
> number of differences is zero. As an aside, it has to be proven that we
> eventually progress to that point where they are the same, otherwise
> there could be a dataset that just keeps spinning, running the algorithm
> endlessly. In fact, it's well possible that this is where the
> monotonicity requirement plays a role.

[snip]

Good write-up. Now I have a question, in hope that SKS operators are
reading this too. I have learned from Robert's gist that the max. is
150.000 sigs per key the servers can handle, if I am not mistaken.

How do they handle the following:

Bob uploads his key from a key signing party with 100 sigs to server
A. Mallory and Eve attended the key signing party too and signed Bob's
key. Mallory uploads Bob's key with an additional 100k sigs on server B
and Eve does the same with server C.

Lets assume that server B and C syncs before A. What does server
B accepts then from C and vice versa, because of the 150k sig limit?

Will at the end server A, B and C have different key sets from Bob,
because of the 150k limit?

Regards
Stefan

--
box: 4a64758de9e8ceded2c481ee526440687fe2f3a828e3a813f87753ad30847b56
GPG: C93E252DFB3B4DB7EAEB846AD8D464B35E12AB77 (avail. on Hagrid, WKD)

Re: Difficulty of fixing reconciliation [ In reply to ]
> Good write-up. Now I have a question, in hope that SKS operators are
> reading this too. I have learned from Robert's gist that the max. is
> 150.000 sigs per key the servers can handle, if I am not mistaken.

I didn't say this.

I said they handle up to about that, *because we've seen keys with that
many*. So clearly, obviously, they handle that many.

A great many people have assumed I intended to say "and it won't handle
more than 150,000". Which I didn't say and don't intend. It very well
could handle more.

Re: Difficulty of fixing reconciliation [ In reply to ]
Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> > Good write-up. Now I have a question, in hope that SKS operators are
> > reading this too. I have learned from Robert's gist that the max. is
> > 150.000 sigs per key the servers can handle, if I am not mistaken.
>
> I didn't say this.
>
> I said they handle up to about that, *because we've seen keys with that
> many*. So clearly, obviously, they handle that many.
>
> A great many people have assumed I intended to say "and it won't handle
> more than 150,000". Which I didn't say and don't intend. It very well
> could handle more.

Ah, o.k. sorry, my misunderstanding!

Regards
Stefan

Re: Difficulty of fixing reconciliation [ In reply to ]
On Tue 13/Aug/2019 13:07:07 +0200 Peter Lebbing wrote:
> On 13/08/2019 09:54, Alessandro Vesely via Gnupg-users wrote:
>> More than a reasonable number of signatures makes no sense in
>> practice, so I agree lists should somehow be "fixed" so as not to
>> accept an unreasonable number of signatures (reasonable == 2??)
>
> [...]
>
> Furthermore, this is from memory, but when I read basic information
> about the SKS reconciliation algorithm, I see the terms "monotonicity
> requirement for progress" or something alike.

Absolute monotonicity is wrong. It must be possible to delete errors.

> [...skip algorithm for their PhD thesis...]
>
> Let's do this with your max 2.
>
> Somebody uses SKS keyserver network host A to add two signatures, call
> them A1 and A2 to the key in question, which did not have any signatures
> yet. Host A accepts them, they fall within the limits.
>
> Either this same person or someone else adds two signatures on SKS
> server B on the same key, call them B1 and B2. Hosts A and B haven't
> reconciled yet, so B sees no signatures on the key and accepts.
>
> Now they reconcile.
>
> They compare their datasets. They are not the same: we still need to
> have progress to get to completion. Let's reconcile signature A1. Server
> A offers server B signature A1. Wait a minute, the key already has
> signatures B1 and B2. Server B cannot accept signature A1, it would
> break the contract that there are ever only 2 signatures on the key.
>
> Now we have a deadlock. There is no following step that would fulfill
> the monotonicity requirement as well as make any progress. The only way
> to fulfill the monotonicity requirement is when server A keeps the
> signatures A1 and A2, and server B keeps B1 and B2. But the progression
> has halted and the process never finishes.

The illegal sig shall be deleted from both servers. (2 is a bit
Procrustean, a reasonable number would be enforceable.)

> Besides, any limit on the number of signatures is a Denial-of-Service.
> In your case, if Alice, Bob and Carol all sign eachother's keys, there's
> no more room for other signatures. And if Mallory creates two bogus keys
> and signs all the keys of Alice, Bob and Carol, the three can't add any
> real signatures anymore.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that 3rd party signatures should not
be allowed. All signing party recipes provide for /exchanging/ sigs,
but then rely on the fact that Alice can sign Bob's sig before Bob has
signed Alice's and without Bob's authorization. That is, the
semantics is good, but it's not algorithmically enforced.

> The algorithm is designed to withstand very well funded actors,
> oppressive regimes were what the designers were thinking of. Obviously,
> the algorithm does this regardless of who is trying to do something
> otherwise, no matter whether it is a repressive regime or the legitimate
> operators and designers of the system.

Hm... if your sig is signed by a suspect, you become suspect too? In
fact, SKS servers with lots of countersigned sigs is manna from heaven
for police. I recall someone in the sixties recommending "Comrades,
no phone-books! Burn them, learn numbers by memory and burn them."

So, would that be a reason to allow 3rd party signatures? I sign your
sig, but then I also sign a few dozens other random sigs so as to
conceal the link between you and me. Sounds like a poor trick to me.

>> The bug, however, is in the program that chokes on poisoned keys!
>
> [...skip very unfavourable runtime <-> data size ratio...]
>
> So GnuPG gets a key with a lot of third-party signatures. It can keep
> wading through all the crap looking for the real signatures the user
> does want between all the crap added by attackers, and this takes a lot
> of runtime.
>
> Or it can decide: this is taking to long, I bail out.

Exactly! That signature is poisoned, delete it. There might be
utilities that attempt to recover it —much like AV utilities to
recover infected files.

>> Was that fixed, yet?
>
> How? You keep looking through the piles of crap, or you stop looking. In
> either case, you don't find what you are looking for in a desirable
> length of time.

The defense would try and avoid poisoning. When a signature is
poisoned, the defense has failed.

> I think the solution needs to be sought in a direction where GnuPG
> doesn't have to look for valid data amidst a lot of invalid crap.
> Because evaluating the invalid crap can always be made expensive, so
> there should be other means to say "I'm not going to parse this, find
> another way to get me the proper data where it's not buried in crap".

Agreed.

Best
Ale
Re: Difficulty of fixing reconciliation [ In reply to ]
On 14/08/2019 10:39, Alessandro Vesely via Gnupg-users wrote:
> Absolute monotonicity is wrong. It must be possible to delete errors.

Indeed, but that condition is fundamentally incompatible with
decentralised reconciliation - because deletion without permissions
management is an open door, and permissions have to be enforced by an
authority.

>> Now we have a deadlock. There is no following step that would
>> fulfill the monotonicity requirement as well as make any progress.
>> The only way to fulfill the monotonicity requirement is when server
>> A keeps the signatures A1 and A2, and server B keeps B1 and B2. But
>> the progression has halted and the process never finishes.
> The illegal sig shall be deleted from both servers.

There are three signatures. Which one is illegal? You can't base your
decision on the contents of any of the signatures, because they're
third-party and therefore untrustworthy. Timestamps can be backdated,
for example.

> I'm no expert, but it seems to me that 3rd party signatures should not
> be allowed. All signing party recipes provide for /exchanging/ sigs,
> but then rely on the fact that Alice can sign Bob's sig before Bob has
> signed Alice's and without Bob's authorization. That is, the
> semantics is good, but it's not algorithmically enforced.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with third-party signatures. The
problem is caused by keyservers allowing a global search on the target
id to include all the third party signatures on it, whether the target
consents or not. Unless you use a maximum trust path length of 1, you
must have some way of searching for intermediates.

> Hm... if your sig is signed by a suspect, you become suspect too? In
> fact, SKS servers with lots of countersigned sigs is manna from heaven
> for police.

A third-party signature is just a statement by someone saying "I know
this person". Sure, that may make you a suspect by association, but so
does mentioning your name in public, or sending you an unsolicited postcard.

--
Andrew Gallagher
Re: Difficulty of fixing reconciliation [ In reply to ]
On 13/08/2019 15:54, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
>> Good write-up. Now I have a question, in hope that SKS operators are
>> reading this too. I have learned from Robert's gist that the max. is
>> 150.000 sigs per key the servers can handle, if I am not mistaken.
>
> I didn't say this.
>
> I said they handle up to about that, *because we've seen keys with that
> many*. So clearly, obviously, they handle that many.
>
> A great many people have assumed I intended to say "and it won't handle
> more than 150,000". Which I didn't say and don't intend. It very well
> could handle more.

Robert,

Can you give me a valid reason why anyone would want their key signed by
150,000 people or more?? How can you meet 150,000 people? Your going to
spend your entire waking hours getting your key signed by as many people
as possible before you die?

The mind boggles!

David

--
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Government - Their Government
Should Be Afraid Of The People - When Injustice Becomes Law, REBELLION
Re: Difficulty of fixing reconciliation [ In reply to ]
> The algorithm is designed to withstand very well funded actors,
> oppressive regimes were what the designers were thinking of.

We are talking about a sand castle here that was kicked down by a kid. It's
a bit bizarre to claim that it was built to withstand rockets.

Given that the recon algorithm was designed as a PhD thesis, it seems like
a safe bet that it was designed to solve the academic problem of set
reconciliation between distributed systems with optimal message complexity.
Funny story how it ended up becoming infrastructure for a security ecosystem.

- V

Re: Difficulty of fixing reconciliation [ In reply to ]
Hello David,

> Can you give me a valid reason why anyone would want their key signed by
> 150,000 people or more??

I don't see anybody claiming that this is a valid use case.

There are several issues preventing actually limiting this in the
current keyserver network, but this has already been explained.

Peter.

Re: Difficulty of fixing reconciliation [ In reply to ]
On 14/08/2019 11:39, Alessandro Vesely via Gnupg-users wrote:
> Absolute monotonicity is wrong. It must be possible to delete errors.

In that case we need a different algorithm.

Which I had already been advocating, so you are preaching to the choir.
You can keep reiterating that you do not like the current algorithm, but
I already got that and I agree.

> Exactly! That signature is poisoned, delete it.

Which is a denial of service, which I point out in the next paragraph of
the mail you replied to. I'll copy-paste it here with a double
indentation:

>> In neither case will the user get that signature that they actually
>> want, and which according to Murphy is actually near the end of where
>> GnuPG will be looking.

> The defense would try and avoid poisoning. When a signature is
> poisoned, the defense has failed.

And that's again my very next paragraph:

>> I think the solution needs to be sought in a direction where GnuPG
>> doesn't have to look for valid data amidst a lot of invalid crap.
>> Because evaluating the invalid crap can always be made expensive, so
>> there should be other means to say "I'm not going to parse this, find
>> another way to get me the proper data where it's not buried in crap".

Cheers,

Peter.

Re: Difficulty of fixing reconciliation [ In reply to ]
On 14/08/2019 12:09, Andrew Gallagher wrote:
> Indeed, but that condition is fundamentally incompatible with
> decentralised reconciliation - because deletion without permissions
> management is an open door, and permissions have to be enforced by an
> authority.

Hmmmm.... the authority could just be the primary key that the
third-party signatures are over. I'm not talking about the current SKS
keyserver network, but some still-to-be-created federated synchronizing
service.

That authority could also authorize no longer sharing a particular third
party signature, I think. It might still circulate in the federated
network, but any time it rears its head again it could get ignored by
the revoked authorization (or more: authorization to revoke). "Ignoring"
might just mean not offering it to clients even though it's still part
of the federation for technical purposes.

There's a lot of chance for misunderstandings here. I started writing
something less ambiguous and stopped due to the amount of work :-).

Cheers,

Peter.

Re: Difficulty of fixing reconciliation [ In reply to ]
On 14/08/2019 12:29, Vincent Breitmoser wrote:
>> The algorithm is designed to withstand very well funded actors,
>> oppressive regimes were what the designers were thinking of.
>
> We are talking about a sand castle here that was kicked down by a kid. It's
> a bit bizarre to claim that it was built to withstand rockets.

I meant that statement purely and only with regard to deleting data that
had already been in the network, nothing more.

It seems to me that the impossibility of deletion was at the core of the
design of the reconciliation algorithm. To say that we should change the
algorithm to no longer do that seems like claiming we should build
rockets out of sand castles ;-).

> Given that the recon algorithm was designed as a PhD thesis, it seems like
> a safe bet that it was designed to solve the academic problem of set
> reconciliation between distributed systems with optimal message complexity.
> Funny story how it ended up becoming infrastructure for a security ecosystem.

These same statements apply to a *lot* of critical infrastructure in the
Information Technology domain. It's a wonder it usually works well (or
at least gives that appearance when you don't look too hard).

Peter.

Re: Difficulty of fixing reconciliation [ In reply to ]
> Can you give me a valid reason why anyone would want their key signed by
> 150,000 people or more?? How can you meet 150,000 people?

Sure, if you can give me a valid reason why I *should* give you a valid
reason.

Seriously.

I'm not a GnuPG developer. I don't run an SKS keyserver. I know a good
bit about the internals of both, but I wasn't involved in the decisions
and I'm getting really annoyed at people who expect me to be an
apologist just because they mistakenly think I'm more involved than I am.

Now that I've got that out of the way, welcome to the Zero-One-N rule.
It's a rule of thumb in software engineering that says to either allow
none of something, only one of something, or an arbitrary number of
somethings. Either support no third-party signatures, one third-party
signature, or arbitrary numbers of them. When the OpenPGP spec was
developed *more than twenty years ago* it was decided to support
arbitrary numbers of third-party signatures. GnuPG faithfully
implements this spec, even though this policy has turned out to not be a
good idea.

If you want to be *productive*, get over on the IETF Working Group
mailing list and start asking how the next draft of the spec is going to
resolve this problem. That's where the problem began. That's where you
need to solve it.

Re: Difficulty of fixing reconciliation [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 15:45, rjh@sixdemonbag.org said:

> developed *more than twenty years ago* it was decided to support
> arbitrary numbers of third-party signatures. GnuPG faithfully

At least OpenPGP has this:

5.2.3.17. Key Server Preferences

(N octets of flags)

This is a list of one-bit flags that indicate preferences that the
key holder has about how the key is handled on a key server. All
undefined flags MUST be zero.

First octet: 0x80 = No-modify
the key holder requests that this key only be modified or updated
by the key holder or an administrator of the key server.

GnuPG has always set this flag in anticipation that the keyservers will
eventually come up with an authenticated upload method. As we all know
the keyserver developers didn't considered that as a priority thing and
thus we are at the state we are know.

At the first and only keyserver conference in 2000 this topic had been
on the agenda. Due to the burst of the dotcom bubble we never got
together again and most thought that SKS was the way to go. Recall that
it solved the problem with OpenPGP (HKP supported only 1 primary plus
one subkey) and the performance problem.

Since December 2013 it was pretty clear that the WoT and the keyservers
will have scaling problems.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

Re: Difficulty of fixing reconciliation [ In reply to ]

Re: Difficulty of fixing reconciliation [ In reply to ]
> On Aug 14, 2019, at 6:32 PM, MFPA via Gnupg-users <gnupg-users@gnupg.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 August 2019 at 10:39:56 AM, in
> <mid:33b6296c-8619-dab1-d83d-d67b9d5cba2f@tana.it>, Alessandro Vesely
> via Gnupg-users wrote:-
>
>> I'm no expert, but it seems to me that 3rd party
>> signatures should not
>> be allowed.
>
> Perhaps a "keyserver no-third-party-signatures" option would resolve
> this. Unlike "keyserver no-modify", honouring it would not require a
> keyserver to undertake any cryptographic checking.

No, then the “attack” just changes to making the issuing keyid = the keyid being attacked, so everything looks like a selfsig...

But at least then we will want to add cryptography to see which selfsigs are truly legitimate, right?

Sent from my iPad

Re: Difficulty of fixing reconciliation [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 00:02, gnupg-users@gnupg.org said:

> But at least then we will want to add cryptography to see which
> selfsigs are truly legitimate, right?

That would be the first and most important step to get the keyservers
back for the WoT

Shalom-Salam,

Werner

Re: Difficulty of fixing reconciliation [ In reply to ]
> On Aug 15, 2019, at 3:33 PM, Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 00:02, gnupg-users@gnupg.org said:
>
>> But at least then we will want to add cryptography to see which
>> selfsigs are truly legitimate, right?
>
> That would be the first and most important step to get the keyservers
> back for the WoT

Actually, I think hockeypuck might be validating selfsigs already:

https://github.com/hockeypuck/openpgp/blob/v1/pubkey.go

when it calls CheckSig().

(It isn’t that hard to install and loads most of the SKS keydump keys, but you do need PostgreSQL and then to sync with SKS to get the remaining (malformed) keys that apparently didn’t get imported from the dump.)

Sent from my iPad