Mailing List Archive

new to GPG: "gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set"
Hi ML,

i'm new to GPG, so please excuse asking silly questions.
I managed to create my keys with "gpg2 --gen-key"
I wrote an e-Mail to adele@gnupp.de with the subject "Mein öffentlicher Schlüssel", which is german for "my public key".
Shortly thereafter i got an encrypted response which, i assume, i have to decrypt with my private key.
I pasted the encrypted stuff into a file and then tried to decrypt:

gpg2 -d nachricht.txt

I've been asked for the passphrase for my private key which i entered, but then i got the following error:

gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID F742DB29, created 2019-07-23
"Bernd Lentes (Helmholtz GPG Schluessel) <bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de>"
gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set

The file has a size of 68 KB, could that be the culprit ?

Bernd

--

Bernd Lentes
Systemadministration

Perfekt ist wer keine Fehler macht
Also sind Tote perfekt

Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen
Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir'in Prof. Dr. Veronika von Messling
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Matthias Tschoep, Heinrich Bassler, Kerstin Guenther
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 6466
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671

Re: new to GPG: "gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set" [ In reply to ]
Lentes, Bernd:
> Hi ML,
>
> i'm new to GPG, so please excuse asking silly questions.
> I managed to create my keys with "gpg2 --gen-key"
> I wrote an e-Mail to adele@gnupp.de with the subject "Mein öffentlicher Schlüssel", which is german for "my public key".
> Shortly thereafter i got an encrypted response which, i assume, i have to decrypt with my private key.
> I pasted the encrypted stuff into a file and then tried to decrypt:
>
> gpg2 -d nachricht.txt
>
> I've been asked for the passphrase for my private key which i entered, but then i got the following error:
>
> gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID F742DB29, created 2019-07-23
> "Bernd Lentes (Helmholtz GPG Schluessel) <bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de>"
> gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set
>
> The file has a size of 68 KB, could that be the culprit ?
>
> Bernd

The simpe rules are as follows:

(1) You encrypt to another persons public key
(2) You decrypt with your private key

That's it!

You can sign your emails - this means no one can tamper with them whilst
in transit - if it was tampered with then there's an eror in the check
sum of the message.

Be happy!

David

--
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Government - Their Government
Should Be Afraid Of The People - When Injustice Becomes Law, REBELLION
Re: new to GPG: "gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set" [ In reply to ]
----- On Jul 24, 2019, at 2:56 AM, David david@gbenet.com wrote:

> Lentes, Bernd:
>> Hi ML,
>>
>> i'm new to GPG, so please excuse asking silly questions.
>> I managed to create my keys with "gpg2 --gen-key"
>> I wrote an e-Mail to adele@gnupp.de with the subject "Mein öffentlicher
>> Schlüssel", which is german for "my public key".
>> Shortly thereafter i got an encrypted response which, i assume, i have to
>> decrypt with my private key.
>> I pasted the encrypted stuff into a file and then tried to decrypt:
>>
>> gpg2 -d nachricht.txt
>>
>> I've been asked for the passphrase for my private key which i entered, but then
>> i got the following error:
>>
>> gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID F742DB29, created 2019-07-23
>> "Bernd Lentes (Helmholtz GPG Schluessel) <bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de>"
>> gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set
>>
>> The file has a size of 68 KB, could that be the culprit ?
>>
>> Bernd
>>

> The simpe rules are as follows:
>
> (1) You encrypt to another persons public key
> (2) You decrypt with your private key

Hi David,
thanks for your response.
I know these simple rules.

> That's it!
>
> You can sign your emails - this means no one can tamper with them whilst
> in transit - if it was tampered with then there's an eror in the check
> sum of the message.

I sent a cleartext e-Mail with my public key to adele@gnupp.de (which is an automated system for practicing encryption and decryption)
and i got an answer which is encrypted. I think it's encrypted with my public key so i should be able
to decrypt it with my private key. That's what i tried. But i got the message while decrypting:

gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID F742DB29, created 2019-07-23
"Bernd Lentes (Helmholtz GPG Schluessel) <bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de>"
gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set

What does this meesage mean ?

Bernd

Re: new to GPG: "gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set" [ In reply to ]
On 7/24/2019 11:52 AM, Lentes, Bernd wrote:

> ----- On Jul 24, 2019, at 2:56 AM, David david@gbenet.com wrote:
>
>> Lentes, Bernd:
>>> Hi ML,
>>>
>>> i'm new to GPG, so please excuse asking silly questions.
>>> I managed to create my keys with "gpg2 --gen-key"
>>> I wrote an e-Mail to adele@gnupp.de with the subject "Mein öffentlicher
>>> Schlüssel", which is german for "my public key".
>>> Shortly thereafter i got an encrypted response which, i assume, i have to
>>> decrypt with my private key.
>>> I pasted the encrypted stuff into a file and then tried to decrypt:
>>>
>>> gpg2 -d nachricht.txt
>>>
>>> I've been asked for the passphrase for my private key which i entered, but then
>>> i got the following error:
>>>
>>> gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID F742DB29, created 2019-07-23
>>> "Bernd Lentes (Helmholtz GPG Schluessel) <bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de>"
>>> gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set
>>>
>>> The file has a size of 68 KB, could that be the culprit ?
>>>
>>> Bernd
>>>

>> The simpe rules are as follows:
>>
>> (1) You encrypt to another persons public key
>> (2) You decrypt with your private key
>>

> Hi David,
> thanks for your response.
> I know these simple rules.
>
>> That's it!
>>
>> You can sign your emails - this means no one can tamper with them whilst
>> in transit - if it was tampered with then there's an eror in the check
>> sum of the message.
>>

> I sent a cleartext e-Mail with my public key to adele@gnupp.de (which is an automated system for practicing encryption and decryption)
> and i got an answer which is encrypted. I think it's encrypted with my public key so i should be able
> to decrypt it with my private key. That's what i tried. But i got the message while decrypting:
>
> gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID F742DB29, created 2019-07-23
> "Bernd Lentes (Helmholtz GPG Schluessel) <bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de>"
> gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set
>
> What does this meesage mean ?

I might be rong here, but I would use build-in GPG capability in my
e-mail client to decrypt the encrypted e-mail.

Do you have the same error if you encrypt and decrypt a file?

--
John Doe

Re: new to GPG: "gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set" [ In reply to ]
----- On Jul 24, 2019, at 12:15 PM, john doe johndoe65534@mail.com wrote:
>> I sent a cleartext e-Mail with my public key to adele@gnupp.de (which is an
>> automated system for practicing encryption and decryption)
>> and i got an answer which is encrypted. I think it's encrypted with my public
>> key so i should be able
>> to decrypt it with my private key. That's what i tried. But i got the message
>> while decrypting:
>>
>> gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID F742DB29, created 2019-07-23
>> "Bernd Lentes (Helmholtz GPG Schluessel) <bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de>"
>> gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set
>>
>> What does this meesage mean ?
>>

> I might be rong here, but I would use build-in GPG capability in my
> e-mail client to decrypt the encrypted e-mail.
>

> Do you have the same error if you encrypt and decrypt a file?

I just tried it and it worked like a charm with a file.

Bernd

Re: new to GPG: "gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set" [ In reply to ]
On 7/24/2019 5:20 PM, Lentes, Bernd wrote:

> ----- On Jul 24, 2019, at 12:15 PM, john doe johndoe65534@mail.com wrote:
>>> I sent a cleartext e-Mail with my public key to adele@gnupp.de (which is an
>>> automated system for practicing encryption and decryption)
>>> and i got an answer which is encrypted. I think it's encrypted with my public
>>> key so i should be able
>>> to decrypt it with my private key. That's what i tried. But i got the message
>>> while decrypting:
>>>
>>> gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID F742DB29, created 2019-07-23
>>> "Bernd Lentes (Helmholtz GPG Schluessel) <bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de>"
>>> gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set
>>>
>>> What does this meesage mean ?
>>>

>> I might be rong here, but I would use build-in GPG capability in my
>> e-mail client to decrypt the encrypted e-mail.
>>

>> Do you have the same error if you encrypt and decrypt a file?
>
> I just tried it and it worked like a charm with a file.

Quoting your original e-mail:

"i'm new to GPG, so please excuse asking silly questions.
I managed to create my keys with "gpg2 --gen-key"
I wrote an e-Mail to adele@gnupp.de with the subject "Mein öffentlicher
Schlüssel", which is german for "my public key".
Shortly thereafter i got an encrypted response which, i assume, i have to
decrypt with my private key.
I pasted the encrypted stuff into a file and then tried to decrypt:

gpg2 -d nachricht.txt

I've been asked for the passphrase for my private key which i entered,
but then
i got the following error:

gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID F742DB29, created 2019-07-23
"Bernd Lentes (Helmholtz GPG Schluessel)
<bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de>"
gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set

The file has a size of 68 KB, could that be the culprit ?"

Now addressing what I think is the culprit:
You encrypt your e-mail with the public key of the recipient.
When you are the recipient of an encrypted e-mail, the sender needs your
publick key to be able to encrypt the e-mail that will be send to you.
You, the recipient, will use your private key to decrypt this e-mail.

That having been said, as far as I know, you need to configure your
e-mail client (TB/Enigmail, Mutt ...) to do that for you .

In otherwords, the encrypted stuff should not be pasted into the file
"nachricht.txt".

--
John Doe

Re: new to GPG: "gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set" [ In reply to ]
----- On Jul 24, 2019, at 5:58 PM, john doe johndoe65534@mail.com wrote:

> Quoting your original e-mail:
>
> "i'm new to GPG, so please excuse asking silly questions.
> I managed to create my keys with "gpg2 --gen-key"
> I wrote an e-Mail to adele@gnupp.de with the subject "Mein öffentlicher
> Schlüssel", which is german for "my public key".
> Shortly thereafter i got an encrypted response which, i assume, i have to
> decrypt with my private key.
> I pasted the encrypted stuff into a file and then tried to decrypt:
>
> gpg2 -d nachricht.txt
>
> I've been asked for the passphrase for my private key which i entered,
> but then
> i got the following error:
>
> gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID F742DB29, created 2019-07-23
> "Bernd Lentes (Helmholtz GPG Schluessel)
> <bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de>"
> gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set
>
> The file has a size of 68 KB, could that be the culprit ?"
>
> Now addressing what I think is the culprit:
> You encrypt your e-mail with the public key of the recipient.
> When you are the recipient of an encrypted e-mail, the sender needs your
> publick key to be able to encrypt the e-mail that will be send to you.
> You, the recipient, will use your private key to decrypt this e-mail.

That's exactly what i did.
I sent my Public key to adele@gnupp.de, which is a german project for GPG,
and the server and adele are for practicing.
Adele took my public key and sent me an e-Mail with some text and her public key,
so i should be able to decrypt that with my private key.

I don't have a plugin for my e-Mail-program because i just use the webinterface of the e-Mail-Server.

Bernd

Re: new to GPG: "gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set" [ In reply to ]
On 24/07/2019 10:52, Lentes, Bernd wrote:
> I sent a cleartext e-Mail with my public key to adele@gnupp.de (which is an automated system for practicing encryption and decryption)
> and i got an answer which is encrypted. I think it's encrypted with my public key so i should be able
> to decrypt it with my private key. That's what i tried. But i got the message while decrypting:
>
> gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID F742DB29, created 2019-07-23
> "Bernd Lentes (Helmholtz GPG Schluessel) <bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de>"
> gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set
>
> What does this meesage mean ?

Presuming that F742DB29 really is your key, then the message has been
correctly encrypted to you. I've sent a few test messages to adele, but
she doesn't seem to like the public key that I've sent her... :-/

It is possible that the message has been mangled in transit, or in the
process of copying and pasting it into a file. Did you cut and paste
from the raw email source, or from the formatted mail? Could it be that
there are invalid characters in the pasted ciphertext?

I'll send you a test message off-list. Let me know here if you get it,
and if you can decrypt it. Feel free to include it in any replies so
that we can see what format it gets to you in.

--
Andrew Gallagher
Re: new to GPG: "gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set" [ In reply to ]
Lentes, Bernd wrote:

> That's exactly what i did.
> I sent my Public key to adele@gnupp.de, which is a german project for GPG,
> and the server and adele are for practicing.
> Adele took my public key and sent me an e-Mail with some text and her public
> key, so i should be able to decrypt that with my private key.
>
> I don't have a plugin for my e-Mail-program because i just use the
> webinterface of the e-Mail-Server.

Maybe others can help you out when writing in English to: adele-en@gnupp.de.

Regards
Stefan

Re: new to GPG: "gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set" [ In reply to ]
On 7/24/2019 6:38 PM, Lentes, Bernd wrote:

> ----- On Jul 24, 2019, at 5:58 PM, john doe johndoe65534@mail.com wrote:
>

>> Quoting your original e-mail:
>>
>> "i'm new to GPG, so please excuse asking silly questions.
>> I managed to create my keys with "gpg2 --gen-key"
>> I wrote an e-Mail to adele@gnupp.de with the subject "Mein öffentlicher
>> Schlüssel", which is german for "my public key".
>> Shortly thereafter i got an encrypted response which, i assume, i have to
>> decrypt with my private key.
>> I pasted the encrypted stuff into a file and then tried to decrypt:
>>
>> gpg2 -d nachricht.txt
>>
>> I've been asked for the passphrase for my private key which i entered,
>> but then
>> i got the following error:
>>
>> gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID F742DB29, created 2019-07-23
>> "Bernd Lentes (Helmholtz GPG Schluessel)
>> <bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de>"
>> gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set
>>
>> The file has a size of 68 KB, could that be the culprit ?"
>>
>> Now addressing what I think is the culprit:
>> You encrypt your e-mail with the public key of the recipient.
>> When you are the recipient of an encrypted e-mail, the sender needs your
>> publick key to be able to encrypt the e-mail that will be send to you.
>> You, the recipient, will use your private key to decrypt this e-mail.
>>

> That's exactly what i did.
> I sent my Public key to adele@gnupp.de, which is a german project for GPG,
> and the server and adele are for practicing.
> Adele took my public key and sent me an e-Mail with some text and her public key,
> so i should be able to decrypt that with my private key.
>
> I don't have a plugin for my e-Mail-program because i just use the webinterface of the e-Mail-Server.

In addition to "Andrew Gallagher <andrewg@andrewg.com>"'s answer:

Can't you use IMAP/POP3 to access your e-mail and SMTP to send your
e-mail (1, my German is not that great)?

1)
https://docplayer.org/2073295-Neue-e-mail-einstellungen-fuer-pop3-und-imap-benutzer.html

--
John Doe