Mailing List Archive

anthropological research on OpenPGP
Dear Daniel Kahn Gillmor,

My name is Sylvain Besençon, I am an anthropologist from the university
of Fribourg, Switzerland, and I am doing a research for my PhD on the
maintenance work of OpenPGP implementations, not from a technical point
of view but rather from a socio-historical perspective. My objectives
are, on the one hand, to collect information about the history of
OpenPGP (from the very early days up to now), and on the second hand, to
document the maintenance work that is done to keep the protocol and its
implementations secure. However, my interest for OpenPGP goes beyond my
sole academic papers: I love crypto, I love open source and I love
easy-to-use privacy enhancing technologies. This is why I would love to
be able to modestly contribute to this by bringing what I can do, namely
socio-anthropological analyses to document the community effort to
securely deploy such technologies.

I have seen that you are quite active on the mailing list of GnuPG-users
which is where I had your email address, and I was wondering if you
would agree to help me in my research by answering a few questions
during an interview (per video con, phone call or merely email).

I also saw that you participate at the IETF and I was wondering if you
will go to Montreal for the 150th IETF meeting in a few weeks? I might
also be able to come and that would be fantastic to meet you in person
there.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Kind regards,

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Besençon ?? Assistant diplômé
Unité anthropologie sociale

Blog: https://blog.unifr.ch/cva
Platform for Experimental and Collaborative Ethnography:
https://cva.unifr.ch
Re: anthropological research on OpenPGP [ In reply to ]
Oh no!! I'm terrible, I have just discovered that I have sent this mail
to the whole mailing list. Sorry to all of you for the inconvenience...
However, this might also be an opportunity for me to send my call to the
whole community.

Le 26.06.19 à 11:47, BESENCON Sylvain via Gnupg-users a écrit :

> My name is Sylvain Besençon, I am an anthropologist from the university
> of Fribourg, Switzerland, and I am doing a research for my PhD on the
> maintenance work of OpenPGP implementations, not from a technical point
> of view but rather from a socio-historical perspective. My objectives
> are, on the one hand, to collect information about the history of
> OpenPGP (from the very early days up to now), and on the second hand, to
> document the maintenance work that is done to keep the protocol and its
> implementations secure. However, my interest for OpenPGP goes beyond my
> sole academic papers: I love crypto, I love open source and I love
> easy-to-use privacy enhancing technologies. This is why I would love to
> be able to modestly contribute to this by bringing what I can do, namely
> socio-anthropological analyses to document the community effort to
> securely deploy such technologies.

Anyone interested to help me doing this research are of course more than
welcome! I would be definitely very happy if you would have time to
share your experience and ideas with me, specially on the history of
OpenPGP, the maintenance work that you do to maintain it secure, and
some important controversies. Please, write me in private so that we do
not disturb more the mailing list!...

Again, sorry for having sent this email to everybody...