Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Announcing paperbackup.py to backup keys as QR codes on paper [ In reply to ]
bexnews--- via Gnupg-users wrote:

Hi,

while I can't help you with your issue, I like to suggest to take a look
at Fraunhofer SIT's modern JAB-Code, which compiles nicely under Linux,
Windows and macOS. It has also the advantage that it can carry much more
data than QR code. The color barcode withstands also ugly Facebook .jpeg
compression, in case one needs to sign large messages, with GnuPG, on
'social' media sites.

https://github.com/jabcode/jabcode

Regards
Stefan

Re: Announcing paperbackup.py to backup keys as QR codes on paper [ In reply to ]
Additionally, you can install paperkey from the Debian repos, which might do something similar?

HTH!

- Chiraag
--
?????? ??????
Pronouns: he/him/his

14/09/20 14:07 ?????, ?????? ?????? via Gnupg-users <gnupg-users@gnupg.org> ??????:

Re: Announcing paperbackup.py to backup keys as QR codes on paper [ In reply to ]
Stefan Claas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while I can't help you with your issue, I like to suggest to take a look
> at Fraunhofer SIT's modern JAB-Code, which compiles nicely under Linux,
> Windows and macOS. It has also the advantage that it can carry much more
> data than QR code. The color barcode withstands also ugly Facebook .jpeg
> compression, in case one needs to sign large messages, with GnuPG, on
> 'social' media sites.
>
> https://github.com/jabcode/jabcode

The other option GnuPG users have is to memorize the passphrase and
re-generate the private key from the passphrase, thus avoiding paper
loss etc.

Regards
Stefan

Re: Announcing paperbackup.py to backup keys as QR codes on paper [ In reply to ]
A: Take a look at Paperkey, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Paperkey; I think it serves this need well. Not to diminish your work, good job! It's probably a good thing to have diversity in implementations, so we don't get stuck with the only thing being written in OCaml.

B: I'm not well versed in Python, but have you tried `pip install qrencode`?

C: If you're using an rsa4096 key, extracting just the secret key with paperkey will just barely fit in a QR code, and if you have subkeys then just forget it with "export-minimal". This, to me, is a good reason to migrate to an ed25519 key which is a deci-order of magnitude smaller (e.g. https://philihp.com/assets/id_ed25519.png)