Mailing List Archive

How to apply a revocation certificate?
Hi everyone!

As I have an old PGP5 key lying around which I do not use and don't want to
be used, I generated a revocation certificate. This worked well (about
which I'm happy, for I do not want to install also PGP5 on my machine). Of
course, I first wanted to test it myself (after backing up my keyring)...

`gpg --import < certificate' did produce some promising output:

gpg: key 3D887E44: revocation certificate imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: new key revocations: 1

Yet I'm still able to encrypt to this key and `gpg --with-colon --list-keys'
doesn't show `r' in the second field (according to doc/DETAILS).

This also happens with a ``genuine GPG'' key and if try it with another
user importing the certificate.

I'm using GPG 1.0.0.

Am I doing something wrong?

BTW: It is nowhere clearly stated that you have to use --import to apply
the certificate. Using just `gpg < certificate' results in ``Detached
signature / Please enter file name'' which is a bit confusing. Some
hint in the man page / gph would help IMHO.

Besides this, gpg served me well all the time and I'm very thankful for
that!

Thanks in advance,

FJ

Florian Jenn reg. Linux User 66363 | ``It needs but one foe to breed
jennf@tu-cottbus.de | a war, not two, Master Warden.
http://www-user.tu-cottbus.de/~jennf | And those who have not swords can
get file keys.html for public keys | still die upon them.'' -- Éowyn
Re: How to apply a revocation certificate? [ In reply to ]
Florian Jenn <jennf@tu-cottbus.de> writes:

> `gpg --import < certificate' did produce some promising output:
>
> gpg: key 3D887E44: revocation certificate imported
> gpg: Total number processed: 1
> gpg: new key revocations: 1
>
> Yet I'm still able to encrypt to this key and `gpg --with-colon --list-keys'
> doesn't show `r' in the second field (according to doc/DETAILS).

Yes, you found a bug. I'm going to fix this soon.

Thanks

--
Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013
Re: How to apply a revocation certificate? [ In reply to ]
Werner Koch schrieb am Sonntag 03.10.99, 19:15:43 (+0200):

> Florian Jenn <jennf@tu-cottbus.de> writes:

> > Yet I'm still able to encrypt to this key and `gpg --with-colon --list-keys'
> > doesn't show `r' in the second field (according to doc/DETAILS).
>
> Yes, you found a bug. I'm going to fix this soon.

One more question: is it a bug in the creation of the revocation certificate
or is it in applying it? I.e. is my revocation certificate valid?

Thanks for your help!

FJ

PS: Sorry Werner for replying directly to you instead of to the list!

Re: How to apply a revocation certificate? [ In reply to ]
Florian Jenn <jennf@tu-cottbus.de> writes:

> One more question: is it a bug in the creation of the revocation certificate
> or is it in applying it? I.e. is my revocation certificate valid?

The revocation certificate is valid, merged into the keyring but due
to some code rewrites it got lost somewhere inside gpg. It's fixed in
1.0.0d

> PS: Sorry Werner for replying directly to you instead of to the list!

So you have to read the answer 2 times :-)

--
Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013
Re: How to apply a revocation certificate? [ In reply to ]
I've using a form handler called Simple Secure which is based on Matt
Wright's form handler. After a wee bit of fiddling I got it happily encrypt
emails that are sent on to me. Only drama is, the keys I created using
Gnupg on the server, don't seem to translate well across to PGP freeware
6.5 on my Windows box. It recognises the public key, but says the private
key is corrupted.

Any ideas why? It's using the DSA & El Galmal encryption on the server end,
which is running Redhat with Gnupg 1.0.0 And I can't change what version my
ISP is using easily, :)

Thanks

Regards,
Matt
Matt Price - Managing Director - PerthWeb Pty Ltd
Internet Solutions for your business!

Level 10/105 St George's Tc - Perth - Western Australia
Ph: (08) 9226 1366 Fax: (08) 9226 1375 Mobile : 0419 949 007
Visit Perth online! : www.perthweb.net.au
Re: How to apply a revocation certificate? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 08:48:29AM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> The revocation certificate is valid, merged into the keyring but due
> to some code rewrites it got lost somewhere inside gpg. It's fixed in
> 1.0.0d

Has 1.0.0d been released yet? 1.0.0 is the most recent version I can
find at ftp.gnupg.org.

Thanx!
Re: How to apply a revocation certificate? [ In reply to ]
"Gregory T. Norris" <haphazard@socket.net> writes:

> Has 1.0.0d been released yet? 1.0.0 is the most recent version I can

It is in the devel directory and it is just a TEST release before we
can do 1.0.1

--
Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013