Mailing List Archive

Installer probs.
Hi, my name is Thomas, and I am new to this list.

So allow me to start at the beginning of the software. I can't get it installed.

I did:
./configure
make

and in tools I got the error that the -lz arg for a gcc gave and error.
Seeming I had nothing to loose, I removed the -lz from the Makefile ( in tools )
and everything worked fine.

This strategy didn't work in the g10 dir however.

Anyone care to help me out here?

I am working on Linux with Suse 6.0 and some 6.1

I am wondering what the --with-included-zlib does?

What is needed to install the software, specificly where can I find this 'z' lib.

--
Thomas Zander zander@microweb.nl
History repeats itself, it has to, nobody ever listens
Re: Installer probs. [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 27 Jun 1999 zander@microweb.nl wrote:

> So allow me to start at the beginning of the software. I can't get it installed.
>
> I did:
> ./configure
> make
>
> and in tools I got the error that the -lz arg for a gcc gave and error.
> Seeming I had nothing to loose, I removed the -lz from the Makefile ( in tools )
> and everything worked fine.

Don't try to edit Makefiles generated by configure. You will fail if you
haven't experience in using autoconf/automake.

Use these options to build GnuPG if you have problems:

./configure --with-included-zlib --with-included-gettext
make
make check
make install

The options "--with-included-zlib" requests the usage of the zlib included
in the GnuPG distribution. Zlib is a library used for compressing and
decompressing data. "--with-included-gettext" requests the usage of the
included library for internationalization.

> What is needed to install the software, specificly where can I find this 'z' lib.

I suggest to use the included versions of gettext and zlib. Their are some
versions of these libraries widly used which have some minor problems
especially contained in older distributions.

cu
Michael