Mailing List Archive

[GpgOL] Providing Dutch (nl) translation
Hello,

As a big fan of Outlook, Dutch translations and of course GPG, I am a daily
user of GpgOL. I noticed that there is no Dutch translation available for
this software, so I decided to contribute to the project.

For my own convenience, I have created a fork on GitHub and committed my
changes there. You are probably only interested in [1]. I have tried to use
the same translations as used in Kleopatra, to keep the user experience
consistent. Unfortunately, I was not able to compile a working version of de
add-on, so I could not check if all strings fit within the UI.

If you decide to add Dutch, I will try to keep the translations up-to-date
with your ongoing development. What will be the preferred way of providing
new translations? Attaching patch files to an email on this mailing list, as
I see mostly done in the archives of this list?

Kind regards,

Erwin Bronkhorst

[1] https://github.com/EagleErwin/gpgol/blob/dutch/po/nl.po

Re: [GpgOL] Providing Dutch (nl) translation [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Monday, May 14, 2018 11:33:22 PM CEST Erwin Bronkhorst wrote:
> As a big fan of Outlook, Dutch translations and of course GPG, I am a daily
> user of GpgOL. I noticed that there is no Dutch translation available for
> this software, so I decided to contribute to the project.

Cool, thank you!

> For my own convenience, I have created a fork on GitHub and committed my
> changes there. You are probably only interested in [1]. I have tried to use
> the same translations as used in Kleopatra, to keep the user experience
> consistent. Unfortunately, I was not able to compile a working version of de
> add-on, so I could not check if all strings fit within the UI.

If you have a Debian GNU/Linux at hand and are interested in help with
compiling you can ask me questions by mail or in #gpg4win on freenode IRC.

The INSTALL instructions should work and I would be interested where you
failed to improve the instructions.

To be honest I don't keep proper track on dependencies and e.g. rely on new
GPGME features as soon as they are added :-/ Sorry. The NEED_GPGME_VERSION
part in your patch is also correct. ;-)

But test the new translation yo do not need to recompile GpgOL.

Just run msgfmt on the po file and copy the resulting gpgol.mo to
<gpg4win_dir>\?hare\locale\nl\LC_MESSAGES

GpgOL should pick it up automatically.

> If you decide to add Dutch

Added:
https://git.gnupg.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?
p=gpgol.git;a=commitdiff;h=b22996a01b8c90a81c71df0caed0f6f3e20a1f79

> I will try to keep the translations up-to-date
> with your ongoing development. What will be the preferred way of providing
> new translations? Attaching patch files to an email on this mailing list, as
> I see mostly done in the archives of this list?

Basically what you prefer. Patches done with git format-patch are good, but If
you give me a ping saying that you've updated your github clone I can also
fetch the patch.

Again thanks!
Can I also interest you in translating GpgEX and the Gpg4win Installer? :-P

Andre

--
Andre Heinecke | ++49-541-335083-262 | http://www.intevation.de/
RE: [GpgOL] Providing Dutch (nl) translation [ In reply to ]
Hello Andre,

> > For my own convenience, I have created a fork on GitHub and committed my
> > changes there. You are probably only interested in [1]. I have tried to use
> > the same translations as used in Kleopatra, to keep the user experience
> > consistent. Unfortunately, I was not able to compile a working version of de
> > add-on, so I could not check if all strings fit within the UI.
> If you have a Debian GNU/Linux at hand and are interested in help with
> compiling you can ask me questions by mail or in #gpg4win on freenode IRC.
> The INSTALL instructions should work and I would be interested where you
> failed to improve the instructions.
> To be honest I don't keep proper track on dependencies and e.g. rely on new
> GPGME features as soon as they are added :-/ Sorry. The NEED_GPGME_VERSION
> part in your patch is also correct. ;-)

First of all, I need to be honest here: I use Debian for WSL (which works surprisingly well, but might have unforeseen consequences) and I don't like 'magic' scripts that do all kind of things in my build environment that I don't know about.
So I kindly ignored the instructions in the INSTALL file and did what I thought was the correct thing to do ;-). Based on one of the compilation errors I got, I found out that at least I had to update GPGME on my system and I decided to update the configure.ac right away to help other stubborn people out there as well :-P.

Solving my compilation problems is probably not the right thing to discuss on this mailing list, so I will use one of the options you gave when needed.

> But test the new translation yo do not need to recompile GpgOL.
> Just run msgfmt on the po file and copy the resulting gpgol.mo to
> <gpg4win_dir>\?hare\locale\nl\LC_MESSAGES
> GpgOL should pick it up automatically.

This is nice and works perfectly. I will probably tweak some translations based on what I see on the screen now, and let you know if I made any changes.

> > If you decide to add Dutch
> Added:
> https://git.gnupg.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?
> p=gpgol.git;a=commitdiff;h=b22996a01b8c90a81c71df0caed0f6f3e20a1f79

Cool!

> Can I also interest you in translating GpgEX and the Gpg4win Installer? :-P

Sure, I will put some effort in it the coming weeks and let you know when it is finished.

Regards,
Erwin