Mailing List Archive

International Comment line
Hi

There is a problem with many of the translated Comment lines.

For example the swedish comment line..

Comment: För information se http://www.gnupg.org/

This line works fine as long as the charset is set to ISO-8859-1.

But if no charset is included, (that is when the mail is encrypted)
then the ö will be translated to =F6.

Comment: F=F6r information se http://www.gnupg.org/

And this results in a CRC error when trying to decrypt
the message.

This will result in error when sending encrypted mails..
Singed mails works fine because they have a charset.

This is not only a Swedish problem.. Any translation with a Comment line
containing non ASCII chars would be affected.

My personal opinion is that the Comment line shuld not be translated
because it is not part of the user interface.

Note: I used mutt and evolution when I found this problem, and
I have changed my own comment line so that it works.

Regards
/Ingemar Fällman

--
Ingemar Fällman Phone: +46(0)90 786 9335
UMDAC, Umeå University Fax: +46(0)90 786 6762
Re: International Comment line [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2 Mar 2002 21:05:55 +0100, Ingemar Fällman said:

> But if no charset is included, (that is when the mail is encrypted)
> then the ö will be translated to =F6.

2001-08-03 Werner Koch

* armor.c (armor_filter): Removed the default comment string
because it could get us in trouble due to translations using non
ascii characters.

--
Werner Koch Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur
g10 Code GmbH et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est.
Re: International Comment line [ In reply to ]
In Japanese or other language whose usual script has
transcription or transliteration to Latin alphabet compatible to
US-ASCII, those kinds of transcription and transliteration
should work. AFAIK, German has such transliteration.
I am not sure if Swedish has one.

>My personal opinion is that the Comment line shuld not be translated
>because it is not part of the user interface.
--
iida