Mailing List Archive

bug in gpa : encrypting to multiple keys
Re: bug in gpa : encrypting to multiple keys [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 22:49, marc@meurrens.org said:

> gpa v.0.7.0

> I am effectively able to select multiple keys.
> But then, when I validate my choice,
> gpa hangs up.

I just tested this with the latest released version of GPA (0.7.6)
without any problems. 0.7.0 is 4 years old! The fix in question is
probably:

Noteworthy changes in version 0.7.5 (2007-02-26)
[...]
* Fixed a bug while encrypting to several keys.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

--
Die Gedanken sind frei. Auschnahme regelt ein Bundeschgesetz.

Re: bug in gpa : encrypting to multiple keys [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 04 November 2007 22:49, Marc Meurrens wrote:
> GNU/Linux Ubuntu 7.10
> gpa v.0.7.0

Probably you should file a report with the Ubuntu people
and include the with to have a more up-to-date version packaged. :)

There already is a wish for Debian.

--
Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net (Free Software Company)
Re: bug in gpa : encrypting to multiple keys [ In reply to ]

Hello,

Thanks for your remarks.
The problem of encrypting to several keys is effectively solved with
gpa 0.7.6.

The following note may be of interest for
a) the webmaster of the french pages on http://www.gnupg.org/
b) the responsible of the download area
ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/alpha/gpa
c) the users of Ubuntu willing to use a recent version of gpa

Unless you provide me with some comments on this note in the next days,
I'll post it on http://ubuntuforums.org/ and, in french, on
http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/
and, as suggested by Bernhard, try to do some 'lobbying' to suggest
the inclusion of a recent gpa version in Ubuntu.

Regards,

marc

====

About gpa on Ubuntu, GNU Privacy Assistant (a GUI to GNUPG)

The last version of GNU/Linux Ubuntu 7.10 (october 2007)
still comes with gpa 0.7.0. (which is 4 years old!)

We know there is bug in this version : pga hangs up when trying
to encrypt to several keys. This bug was fixed in version 0.7.5 of
2007-02-26

On http://www.gnupg.org/ in the french version, the page
http://www.gnupg.org/(fr)/related_software/gpa/index.html
is partially obsolete as it suggests the download from
ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/alpha/gpa
of a so-called last gpa source beeing 0.7.5 of 2007-02-26

However, the english version
http://www.gnupg.org/(en)/related_software/gpa/index.html
properly recommands the development site
http://wald.intevation.org/projects/gpa/
where the source of version 0.7.6 is effectively available.

An install file explains how to configure, compile and install
gpa but, of course, does not provide specific explanations
(which dependencies ?) for Ubuntu. Here they are.

To compile the pga source on Ubuntu (Desktop edition)
some installations must first be done thru the synaptic tool
(in the System/Administration menu) or by a
$ apt-get install
(mind that some of these prerequisites are also needed to compile any
other source)

The following packages are needed. Some of them will automatically
load their dependencies :

make (probably already installed)
gcc (probably already installed)
g++ (not sure you need it)
libc6-dev (otherwise you get the famous "C compiler cannot create
executables" message)
zlib1g-dev (zlib library used by gpa)
libgtk2.0-dev (GTK+ used by gpa)
libgpgme11-dev (GPGME used by gpa)
and, of course, gnupg (already installed with gpa 0.7.0 and/or
thunderbird-enigmail)

If you fail to install these packages, the "./configure" will
provide error messages.
It's however more confortable (even if less instructive) to install the
dependencies listed here before trying the "./configure".

pga (0.7.6) installs it self in /usr/local/bin/gpa while the initial
application (0.7.0) installed by Ubuntu was in /usr/bin/gpa . So,
don't forget to update the path of the application in the definition
of the main menu (System/Preferences)

Finally, the compilation, install and test of gpa 0.7.6 is relatively
simple.
Supposing gpa-0.7.6 is the directory where you unpacked gpa,
the following steps will probably do :

sudo apt-get install make gcc g++ libc6-dev zlib1g-dev libgtk2.0-dev
libgpgme11-dev gnupg
cd gpa-0.7.6
./configure
make
sudo make install
cd /usr/local/bin
gpa

Btw, the good news is that the bug related to the encryption to
several keys is effectively fixed in version 0.7.6

=====

Re: bug in gpa : encrypting to multiple keys [ In reply to ]
At Mon, 05 Nov 2007 21:24:18 +0100,
Marc Meurrens <marc@meurrens.org> wrote:
> About gpa on Ubuntu, GNU Privacy Assistant (a GUI to GNUPG)
>
> The last version of GNU/Linux Ubuntu 7.10 (october 2007)
> still comes with gpa 0.7.0. (which is 4 years old!)
>
> We know there is bug in this version : pga hangs up when trying

Typo: s/pga/gpa/

> To compile the pga source on Ubuntu (Desktop edition)

dito

> The following packages are needed. Some of them will automatically
> load their dependencies :

apt-get build-dep gpa

does it all

> pga (0.7.6) installs it self in /usr/local/bin/gpa while the initial

s/pga/gpa/

> application (0.7.0) installed by Ubuntu was in /usr/bin/gpa . So,
> don't forget to update the path of the application in the definition
> of the main menu (System/Preferences)

You can add the --prefix=/usr option to configure instead.

Here is a different suggestion:

$ apt-get source gpa
$ tar xjf gpa-0.7.6.tar.bz2
$ cp -r gpa-0.7.0/debian gpa-0.7.6
$ cd gpa-0.7.6
$ emacs debian/changelog # Optional, see below for an example entry
$ dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc -rfakeroot # Or -rsudo
$ dpkg -i ../gpa_0.7.6-0.0.deb

Example entry for debian/changelog (the version 0.0 makes sure that
official packages will replace this one).

gpa (0.7.6-0.0) feisty; urgency=low

* Local update to 0.7.6.

-- Your Name <your_user@localhost> Tue, 06 Nov 2007 15:16:00 +0200

Thanks,
Marcus

Re: bug in gpa : encrypting to multiple keys [ In reply to ]
On Monday 05 November 2007 21:24, Marc Meurrens wrote:
> The problem of encrypting to several keys is effectively solved with
> gpa 0.7.6.

Thanks for testing.

> Unless you provide me with some comments on this note in the next days,
> I'll post it on http://ubuntuforums.org/ and, in french, on
> http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/
> and, as suggested by Bernhard, try to do some 'lobbying' to suggest
> the inclusion of a recent gpa version in Ubuntu.

Wonderful!

--
Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net (Free Software Company)
Re: bug in gpa : encrypting to multiple keys [ In reply to ]

Hello all ,

This is a complement to our previous mails regarding gpa on Ubuntu.
(and the necessity to replace the buggy gpa version 0.7.0 by a version
Our previous mails were related to Ubuntu 7.10 (last version today)
This very note is related to Ubuntu 7.04 (previous version)
(some users are forced to stay with 7.04 as their hardware may not be
supported by 7.10)

Regarding Ubuntu 7.04 (the previous version of Ubuntu), the
installation of gpa 0.7.6
is a little bit more complicate than on Ubuntu 7.10
The reason is that gpa 0.7.6 (as well as gpa 0.7.5) relies on version
1.1.5 of gpgme,
while only the version 1.1.2 of gpgme is provided with Ubuntu 7.04.
(Ubuntu 7.10 already comes with version 1.1.5)
So you first need to install a recent version of gpgme.
Furthermore, to install gpgme 1.1.5 , you need to previously install
gpgsm.
Finally, here are the steps needed to install gpa 0.7.6 on Ubuntu 7.04

Download gpa-0.7.6.tar.bz2 from http://wald.intevation.org/projects/gpa/
Unpack in a directory gpa-0.7.6 (supposed to be on your Desktop in our
example)
Download gpgme-1.1.5.tar.gz from ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/gpgme/
Unpack in a directory gpgme-1.1.5

$ sudo apt-get build-dep gpa
$ sudo apt-get install gpgsm
$ cd Desktop/gpgme-1.1.5
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr
$ make
$ sudo make install
$ cd ../gpa-0.7.6
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr
$ make
$ sudo make install

The gpa entry will appear in your main menu (under "accessories"); the
program is at /usr/bin/gpa

Remark

The 2 first apt-get entries can eventually be replaced by the explicit :
$ sudo apt-get install make gcc g++ libc6-dev zlib1g-dev libgtk2.0-dev
libgpgme11-dev gnupg gpgsm
but, in this case, be carefull for typo's...

Hope this helps.

marc

Re: bug in gpa : encrypting to multiple keys [ In reply to ]