it?

From Outlook I know, there is such a thing like "autokorrektur" in KMail it is
not possible... is there annother possibility?

Greetings from Graz,
--
Georg Emberger

Re: autochange of signs [ In reply to ]
Hi Georg,

On Friday 13 April 2007 13:40, Georg Emberger wrote:
> I have a question - if I am writing an eMail in KMail and I want to change
> some signs automatically (germans have their strange "Umlaute" like Ä Ö
> Ü... they should be changed to some international AE OE or UE) - how I can
> manage it?
>
> From Outlook I know, there is such a thing like "autokorrektur" in KMail it
> is not possible... is there annother possibility?

best is to ask this the KMail people.
mailinglists.

Best,
Bernhard
--
Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net (Free Software Company)
Re: autochange of signs [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:40, georg.emberger@gmx.at said:

> I have a question - if I am writing an eMail in KMail and I want to change
> some signs automatically (germans have their strange "Umlaute" like Ä Ö Ü...
> they should be changed to some international AE OE or UE) - how I can manage

You should never do that!

The times of plain 7 bit ASCII are loooooong ago. For about two decades
transparent 8 bit encoding has been implemented nearly everywhere. The
encoding used is Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1) and sufficient for all Western
Europe languages. MIME is also pretty old and defines standard ways of
encoding all kinds of encodings. The most common case is
quoted-printable encoding and all MUAs today handle this really well.

In fact since a few years the UTF-8 encoding is gaining more and more
acceptance and all modern mailers use this as default. UTF-8 is the
clean way of encoding all character sets as it is a way of encoding
Unicode - UTF-8 is upward compatible to plain old ASCI (ISO-646).
Remember that there are only a few hundred million people who can get
around with ASCII; but some billions need to use a more complex
characters set.

If you still want to butcher our Umlauts, you may run sed over the
text. Something like:

sed 's/ä/ae/g; s/ö/oe/g; s/ü/ue/g'

Gnus has a way to run external commands like sed over its message
buffer; I guess Kmail has such a feature too.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

Re: autochange of signs [ In reply to ]
On Friday 13 April 2007 18:08, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:40, georg.emberger@gmx.at said:
> > I have a question - if I am writing an eMail in KMail and I want to
> > change some signs automatically (germans have their strange
> > "Umlaute" like Ä Ö Ü... they should be changed to some
> > international AE OE or UE) - how I can manage

[snip]

> If you still want to butcher our Umlauts, you may run sed over the
> text. Something like:
>
> sed 's/ä/ae/g; s/ö/oe/g; s/ü/ue/g'
>
> Gnus has a way to run external commands like sed over its message
> buffer; I guess Kmail has such a feature too.

Actually, KMail doesn't have such a feature. (You can run a script on
the already sent message, but not on the to-be-sent message.)

Regards,
Ingo
Re: autochange of signs [ In reply to ]
Thank your for answering,

I decidet nothing to change. It is simply so, that you find sometimes in www
text who is not correct encodet...

I thought to make letters, text ect. preserved for eternitys it would be
usefull to take a basic code.

Georg