Mailing List Archive

Pluto and GMP
[.Oops: I forwarded my first message to the list, assuming that it
never got there. I now see that Werner beat me to the punch.]

| From: Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org>
| Subject: Re: Hello?

| > I'm trying to make dsa.c/elgamal.c work with GMP because that is what
| > we use for big integers. We use it because we use libdes (Eric
| > Young's old code) and libdes uses GMP. What a tangle.
|
| libdes needs big integers - it is not the one from OpenSSL I guess.

Oops, sorry, I got that wrong. We use GMP because that is what we
started with. libdes does not use it.

GMP does have the advantage that it is already a library.

We can switch to soomething else, but I'd rather not keep switching!

Some people are currently using patches to Pluto to use OpenSSL. So
there is a pull towards its bignum package, or at least not
conflicting with it. Do you know whether gcrypt will be happy to
co-exist in the same program as (parts of) OpenSSL?

If your big number package is better than GMP, is there a chance you
can make it a stand-alone library, separate from gcrypt? Could it
then supplant GMP in general? Or is your library not better for all
uses?

Thanks,

Hugh Redelmeier
hugh@mimosa.com voice: +1 416 482-8253
Re: Pluto and GMP [ In reply to ]
"D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh@mimosa.com> writes:

> We can switch to soomething else, but I'd rather not keep switching!

Sure. In libgcrypt the GMP (they are called mpi) is used internally for
the public key algorithms. Because there is no function for DH key exchange
yet and I don't know whehter it would make sense at all, given the
simplicity of the DB operation, The mpi function are public.

> conflicting with it. Do you know whether gcrypt will be happy to
> co-exist in the same program as (parts of) OpenSSL?

I'll make sure that all identifiers are prefixed with gcry_ or GCRY
and will provide hooks for memory allocation and such. So it should
be no problem.

> If your big number package is better than GMP, is there a chance you

No it is not better. It is just an alternative to the other big
integer packages. For most math applications GMP is better.

Werner

--
Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013