Mailing List Archive

Does RFC4880 require a (self)-signature on the mandatory User ID packet?
Am Dienstag 13 Dezember 2022 10:07:07 schrieb Neal H. Walfield:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2022 09:35:22 +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > incompatible to the existing OpenPGP standard, by not adding the
> > necessary signature, see https://dev.gnupg.org/T4393 and blame it as
> > defect on your page
> > https://keys.openpgp.org/about/faq)

I was not precise enough, I've meant "not distributing the user ids"
(and assuming that a useful user ID packet has a self-signature.)
Thanks for pointing this out and sorry for the confusion.

> I think you are misreading the standard here. My reading of 4880 is
> the grammar for certificates explicitly says that self signatures on
> User ID packets are optional:
>
> - One or more User ID packets

> Can you point me to the text in 4880 that supports your view that User
> IDs must have self signatures?

The RFC mandates at least one User ID Packet.
Do you think the single User ID packet is useful without any (self-)signature?

Thanks,
Bernhard

--
https://intevation.de/~bernhard ? +49 541 33 508 3-3
Intevation GmbH, Osnabr?ck, DE; Amtsgericht Osnabr?ck, HRB 18998