Mailing List Archive

[GPA] Port to GTK3
Hi

I have managed to build GPA against GTK3 - is there any interest at all,
or is GPA completely dead? It builds and runs fine in my minor testing.

I am doing this because Debian is on the mission to remove GTK 2 sooner
or later - it might take quite some time, but there have already been
bugs reported to remind us Debian maintainers. (see the bug on gpa here
[1])

I have made my fork available on github in the port-gtk3 branch [2],
feel free to import it to the GnuPG git repositories. If you want the
commits/changes in another way, please let me know.

There are some places where I have removed some deprecated calls that
doesn't have a simple replacement, which might change the experience
some - see [3].

Also, I am not sure about the best way to handle the gtk_marshal stuff [4],
some extra eyes would be greatly appreciated.

As is overall testing, to see if behaviour has changed in unexpected ways.

So far I have made it build, it needs way more work to remove all stuff
that gets warnings during the build for use of deprecated functions.

best
/Andreas Rönnquist
gusnan@librem.one

1: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=967447
2: https://github.com/gusnan/gpa
3: https://github.com/gusnan/gpa/commit/4031700ffd81613f8b985e6af8a80192d858364e
4: https://github.com/gusnan/gpa/commit/95e07080a2a08196cafb05b69345ea1d629424b1

Re: [GPA] Port to GTK3 [ In reply to ]
Am Dienstag 25 Oktober 2022 12:03:11 schrieb Andreas Rönnquist via
Gnupg-devel:
> I have managed to build GPA against GTK3 - is there any interest at all,
> or is GPA completely dead?

Thanks for making your work public!

I believe Werner also had part of an GTK3 port in the work (but not entirely
ready). Focus has shifted away a bit from GPA, it is a component
that is in need of a maintainer.

The question is if there is enough interest and people are willing to
help to develop and maintain GPA.
In how far could you help with this and e.g. the GTK3 port?

Best Regards
Bernhard

--
https://intevation.de/~bernhard   +49 541 33 508 3-3
Geschäftsführer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter
Re: [GPA] Port to GTK3 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 17:23:09 +0200
Bernhard Reiter <bernhard@intevation.de> wrote:

>Am Dienstag 25 Oktober 2022 12:03:11 schrieb Andreas Rönnquist via
>Gnupg-devel:
>> I have managed to build GPA against GTK3 - is there any interest at all,
>> or is GPA completely dead?
>
>Thanks for making your work public!
>
>I believe Werner also had part of an GTK3 port in the work (but not entirely
>ready). Focus has shifted away a bit from GPA, it is a component
>that is in need of a maintainer.
>
>The question is if there is enough interest and people are willing to
>help to develop and maintain GPA.
>In how far could you help with this and e.g. the GTK3 port?

I would love to be able to keep it maintained, but I don't want to do
it on my own, more eyes equals better code, of course.

I have managed now to not only build on GTK3, but I have also began to
do actual required migration from GTK2 technologies to GTK3 ones -
which would of course make it easier to an eventual upcoming GTK4
conversion.

It looks like the first thing is to make it GtkApplication-based (which
I have managed to do), and then in it's turn migrate the menus to
GtkBuilder-based items.

I would love some eyes on my code in the git repository, and would
gladly accept merge requests there, both to further the conversion, but
also if someone has better solutions to the changes I have done, I
would also accept those.

best
/Andreas

Re: [GPA] Port to GTK3 (Work in progress) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 30 Oct 2022 21:56:34 +0100
Andreas Ronnquist via Gnupg-devel <gnupg-devel@gnupg.org> wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 17:23:09 +0200
>Bernhard Reiter <bernhard@intevation.de> wrote:
>
>>Am Dienstag 25 Oktober 2022 12:03:11 schrieb Andreas Rönnquist via
>>Gnupg-devel:
>>> I have managed to build GPA against GTK3 - is there any interest at all,
>>> or is GPA completely dead?
>>
>>Thanks for making your work public!
>>
>>I believe Werner also had part of an GTK3 port in the work (but not entirely
>>ready). Focus has shifted away a bit from GPA, it is a component
>>that is in need of a maintainer.
>>
>>The question is if there is enough interest and people are willing to
>>help to develop and maintain GPA.
>>In how far could you help with this and e.g. the GTK3 port?
>>

>I would love to be able to keep it maintained, but I don't want to do
>it on my own, more eyes equals better code, of course.
>
>I have managed now to not only build on GTK3, but I have also began to
>do actual required migration from GTK2 technologies to GTK3 ones -
>which would of course make it easier to an eventual upcoming GTK4
>conversion.
>
>It looks like the first thing is to make it GtkApplication-based (which
>I have managed to do), and then in it's turn migrate the menus to
>GtkBuilder-based items.
>
>I would love some eyes on my code in the git repository, and would
>gladly accept merge requests there, both to further the conversion, but
>also if someone has better solutions to the changes I have done, I
>would also accept those.

Alright, I have hacked away and continued the GTK3 conversion - It was
way more work than I anticipated, but an initial version is buildable
(Nowhere near release quality yet though).

It is not finished, but it is good enough to get an impression of what
a GTK3 version would look like.

I have moved the images from the pixmaps folder to the src folder, and
include them in a gresource file. (This is the modern way to build
resources to C code, so you don't have to load it from disk by hand and
have the resources loaded from file on program start, they are included
in the compiled binary - it's the more modern way of what was done with
xpm images, and can include all resources, not just images).

All menus and toolbars needed to be converted to this new way, and
menus in GTK3 cannot contain images, so that is a change. Toolbars can,
and I have used toolbars, but the toolbar widget is being removed in
GTK4, and should be replaced with a GtkBox with the proper layout and
settings. I have stayed with the standard GtkToolbar for now.

I think I have changed the places needed, but I haven't fully connected
all signals yet, and there are surely places where I have done mistakes
or simply not come to yet, there is still more work to be done, but you can
build and test the program with your current GTK3 theme. (One theme I
have tested I didn't get separators in the toolbar, but that is
theme-specific, using the Elementary theme all looks really nice).

All can be found at https://github.com/gusnan/gpa , and
pull-requests and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

best
/Andreas Rönnquist
gusnan@librem.one
Re: [GPA] Port to GTK3 (Work in progress) [ In reply to ]
Am Sonntag 06 November 2022 02:12:08 schrieb Andreas Ronnquist via
> Alright, I have hacked away and continued the GTK3 conversion - It was
> way more work than I anticipated, but an initial version is buildable
> (Nowhere near release quality yet though).
>
> It is not finished, but it is good enough to get an impression of what
> a GTK3 version would look like.

For more exposure, you could ask on
https://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users
for people being interested in helping with GPA's development.

> All can be found at https://github.com/gusnan/gpa , and
> pull-requests and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the two progress reports.
(I had hoped that Werner may hae the time to publish his work-in-progress
so you could compare)

Best,
Bernhard
Re: [GPA] Port to GTK3 (Work in progress) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 11 Nov 2022 13:41:26 +0100
Bernhard Reiter <bernhard@intevation.de> wrote:

>Am Sonntag 06 November 2022 02:12:08 schrieb Andreas Ronnquist via
>> Alright, I have hacked away and continued the GTK3 conversion - It was
>> way more work than I anticipated, but an initial version is buildable
>> (Nowhere near release quality yet though).
>>
>> It is not finished, but it is good enough to get an impression of what
>> a GTK3 version would look like.
>
>For more exposure, you could ask on
> https://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/listinfo/gnupg-users
>for people being interested in helping with GPA's development.

Thanks, that indeed sound like a good idea. Will do!

/Andreas