drop support for Qt4 and slowly start to add support for Qt6.

Regards,
Ingo
Re: Pinentry for Qt4 still needed? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 4:56 AM Ingo Klöcker <kloecker@kde.org> wrote:

> I'm currently working on (usability) improvements for pinentry-qt and I'm
> wondering whether pinentry-qt still needs to build with Qt4 or whether we can
> drop support for Qt4 and slowly start to add support for Qt6.

Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS) has Qt5. I was looking at it a few hours ago for
some unrelated testing. According to apt-cache, it lacks both Qt4 and
Qt6.

It may be a good idea to use the default version of Qt that comes with
the platform.

Jeff

Re: Pinentry for Qt4 still needed? [ In reply to ]
On Mittwoch, 14. Juli 2021 11:51:18 CEST Jeffrey Walton via Gnupg-devel wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 4:56 AM Ingo Kl?cker <kloecker@kde.org> wrote:
> > I'm currently working on (usability) improvements for pinentry-qt and I'm
> > wondering whether pinentry-qt still needs to build with Qt4 or whether we
> > can drop support for Qt4 and slowly start to add support for Qt6.
>
> Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS) has Qt5. I was looking at it a few hours ago for
> some unrelated testing. According to apt-cache, it lacks both Qt4 and
> Qt6.
>
> It may be a good idea to use the default version of Qt that comes with
> the platform.

Sure, Qt5 would still be supported for quite some time.

Regards,
Ingo
Re: Pinentry for Qt4 still needed? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 10:55:34AM +0200, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
>I'm currently working on (usability) improvements for pinentry-qt and
>I'm wondering whether pinentry-qt still needs to build with Qt4 or
>whether we can drop support for Qt4

For what it’s worth [1], my take on this is that by now support for Qt4
should be on a "best-effort" basis. That is, as long as continuing to
support Qt4 is not too much of a hassle, we might as well do it, but if
it becomes a burden (and, in particular, if it starts to get in the way
of usability improvements), I wouldn't have too many qualms about
dropping it.

(The only GNU/Linux distribution I know of that still does not provide
Qt5 is the last release of Slackware (14.2, released in 2016), and even
though I am a proud Slacker, I wouldn’t be too concerned about it. Many
Slackers use -current (where Qt5 is available), and for those that still
use 14.2, they have other problems – such as the fact that they are
basically stuck with GnuPG 2.0…)

> and slowly start to add support for Qt6.

I believe this should be quite uncontroversial.

Regards,

- Damien

[1] Even though I did the last release of pinentry, my contributions to
GnuPG recently have alas been few and far between, so don’t take my
words as those of a maintainer. It’s only the opinion of a (very)
irregular contributor.
Re: Pinentry for Qt4 still needed? [ In reply to ]
> On 14 Jul 2021, at 22:41, Damien Goutte-Gattat via Gnupg-devel <gnupg-devel@gnupg.org> wrote:
>
> ?Hi,
>
>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 10:55:34AM +0200, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
>> I'm currently working on (usability) improvements for pinentry-qt and I'm wondering whether pinentry-qt still needs to build with Qt4 or whether we can drop support for Qt4
>
> For what it’s worth [1], my take on this is that by now support for Qt4 should be on a "best-effort" basis. That is, as long as continuing to support Qt4 is not too much of a hassle, we might as well do it, but if it becomes a burden (and, in particular, if it starts to get in the way of usability improvements), I wouldn't have too many qualms about dropping it.
>
> (The only GNU/Linux distribution I know of that still does not provide Qt5 is the last release of Slackware (14.2, released in 2016), and even though I am a proud Slacker, I wouldn’t be too concerned about it. Many Slackers use -current (where Qt5 is available), and for those that still use 14.2, they have other problems – such as the fact that they are basically stuck with GnuPG 2.0…)

Macosx also relies on it until 2 revs ago - though that is not far of of going qt5 now as apple eols sometime later this year.

Dw.

Re: Pinentry for Qt4 still needed? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 4:39 PM Damien Goutte-Gattat via Gnupg-devel
<gnupg-devel@gnupg.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 10:55:34AM +0200, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> >I'm currently working on (usability) improvements for pinentry-qt and
> >I'm wondering whether pinentry-qt still needs to build with Qt4 or
> >whether we can drop support for Qt4
>
> For what it’s worth [1], my take on this is that by now support for Qt4
> should be on a "best-effort" basis. That is, as long as continuing to
> support Qt4 is not too much of a hassle, we might as well do it, but if
> it becomes a burden (and, in particular, if it starts to get in the way
> of usability improvements), I wouldn't have too many qualms about
> dropping it.
>
> (The only GNU/Linux distribution I know of that still does not provide
> Qt5 is the last release of Slackware (14.2, released in 2016), and even
> though I am a proud Slacker, I wouldn’t be too concerned about it. Many
> Slackers use -current (where Qt5 is available), and for those that still
> use 14.2, they have other problems – such as the fact that they are
> basically stuck with GnuPG 2.0…)

Another data point... CentOS 7 (and probably Red Hat) provides Qt3 and
Qt5. CentOS6 provides Qt3.

CentOS6 is still used in the field. I saw a bug report on it a couple
of months ago.

I'm not a fan of Red Hat's model. But the reality of it is, you are
going to see older versions of some packages.

Jeff

Re: Pinentry for Qt4 still needed? [ In reply to ]
Distros with old Qt (and other dependencies) also ship old Pinentry.
This is the past.

Development is for the future. New packages of Pinentry will be built
with new Qt (and other dependencies).

--
ilf

If you upload your address book to "the cloud", I don't want to be in it.