hkp4py is a simple library to get keys from the gpg/pgp keyservers via
the specified API.

The project gets available in the next days under MIT License on GitHub.

https://github.com/Selfnet/hkp4py

and later on pypi....

Best Regards

Marcel

PS: Ben I added proxy and header support for you.
Re: hkp4py hkp|hkps bindings for python. [ In reply to ]
Now on PyPI and AUR.

Re: hkp4py hkp|hkps bindings for python. [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 10:45:17PM +0200, Marcel Fest wrote:
> Hey folks, hey Ben,
>
> I have split up my project in to hkp4py and multivault.
>
> The python2 support will be added in 1 or 2 days.
>
> hkp4py is a simple library to get keys from the gpg/pgp keyservers via
> the specified API.

Excellent work! :)

> The project gets available in the next days under MIT License on GitHub.
>

> https://github.com/Selfnet/hkp4py
>
> and later on pypi....

Let's see:

bash-4.4$ pip search hkp4py
hkp4py (0.2.0.0) - A Library to get Keys from a keyserver specified
bash-4.4$ pip3 search hkp4py
hkp4py (0.2.0.0) - A Library to get Keys from a keyserver specified
bash-4.4$

This is all kinds of good work. I'll include it in one or more of the
HOWTO examples shortly. Possibly even with one of the examples
dealing with the cut down key server in use at ProtonMail.

Regards,
Ben

--
| Ben McGinnes | GNU Privacy Guard | ben@gnupg.org |
| ---------------------------------------------------------------- |
Re: hkp4py hkp|hkps bindings for python. [ In reply to ]
If you have any improvement suggestions,

PRs are always welcome.

Best Regards

Marcel

Re: hkp4py hkp|hkps bindings for python. [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 07:34:46PM +0200, Marcel Fest wrote:
> If you have any improvement suggestions,
>
> PRs are always welcome.

There's one incoming already. ;)

https://github.com/Selfnet/hkp4py/pull/5

Regards,
Ben
Re: hkp4py hkp|hkps bindings for python. [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 06:13:29AM +1000, Ben McGinnes wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 07:34:46PM +0200, Marcel Fest wrote:
> > If you have any improvement suggestions,
> >
> > PRs are always welcome.
>
> There's one incoming already. ;)
>
> https://github.com/Selfnet/hkp4py/pull/5

Also this one:

https://github.com/Selfnet/hkp4py/pull/6

Which will also find it''s way into the update(s) to the HOWTO.

Regards,
Ben
Re: hkp4py hkp|hkps bindings for python. [ In reply to ]
Hey, i have an issue with your Example.

As mentionend under the PR#6 my python-gpgme bindings wont like your
example.

https://github.com/Selfnet/hkp4py/pull/6

Testing your example results in the following issue.
File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gpg/core.py", line 128, in *getattr*
func = getattr(gpgme, name)
AttributeError: module 'gpg.gpgme' has no attribute 'gpgme_key_import'

This was the main reason why I used |op_import| in the first place

Why is this happening?

I am using the latest bindings on ArchLinux from September this year.

Regards

Marcel

Re: hkp4py hkp|hkps bindings for python. [ In reply to ]
I replied off list, mostly due to which filter I was reading and
hitting "r" instead of "L", but the long story short version of that
reply was that ...

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 12:55:54AM +0200, Marcel Fest wrote:

> Testing your example results in the following issue.
> File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gpg/core.py", line 128, in *getattr*
> func = getattr(gpgme, name)
> AttributeError: module 'gpg.gpgme' has no attribute 'gpgme_key_import'
>
> This was the main reason why I used |op_import| in the first place
>

> Why is this happening?

This is caused by this:

> I am using the latest bindings on ArchLinux from September this year.

Not that it's Arch's fault, it's not. It's that the key_import
function was added after GPGME 1.11.1 was released. The same is true
of the three export methods added around the same time.

Whereas I'm using the latest version in the master branch almost all
the time (for obvious reasons). Anyway, the key_import, key_export,
key_export_minimal and key_export_secret functions will be available
to all when GPGME 1.12.0 is released very soon. With the additional
key_blob response you added, I'll be able to include some more
detailed examples in the HOWTO for that release.

Regards,
Ben
Re: hkp4py hkp|hkps bindings for python. [ In reply to ]
Nice after releasing 1.12 everything is working fine.

The python KeyServer library hkp4py is now supporting hkps keyservers.

https://github.com/Selfnet/hkp4py

Please checkout.

Best Regards

Marcel

Re: hkp4py hkp|hkps bindings for python. [ In reply to ]
Hey all,

I added basic support for the Hagrid Keyserver API or as the protocol
names itself `vks`.

Can someone look into it. I am currently curious if it breaks current stuff.
https://github.com/Selfnet/hkp4py/tree/feature/gpg-vks

I also want to know if hkp4py`s further releases need to support python
2.7.x and python 3.5.x and older.

@Ben McGinnes.

Best Regards

Marcel Fest

Re: hkp4py hkp|hkps bindings for python. [ In reply to ]
Hi Marcel,

thanks for working on VKS support :)

> Can someone look into it. I am currently curious if it breaks current stuff.
> https://github.com/Selfnet/hkp4py/tree/feature/gpg-vks

Looks good to me, only remarks I have is you probably don't need to quote the
key id, and the "host" variable should be called "baseURI" or something, "if not
host.startswith("hkp"):" looks odd. On that last bit, checks like that should
always include the :, you don't want to match an "hkpkpkp" schema.

The "vks" schema is kind of an informal thing that comes from Enigmail.
I wonder if we should adopt it (slightly) more formally in our API docs.

> I also want to know if hkp4py`s further releases need to support python
> 2.7.x and python 3.5.x and older.

python2 is EOL, and projects that still rely on it shouldn't invest development
time into anything other than fixing that.

Cheers!

- V