Mailing List Archive

Privacy of real name
Hello,

May be I miss the context (I do not follow this thread thoroughly) but
this remark ...

> Because if the real name is not enough to identify a person, it is
> not personal data.

... may not remain uncontested.

A real name like Thomas M?ller might be not enough to identify a
person, because there are thousands of them but a real name like mine
(Rainer Perske) is enough. There are only two persons with this name
all over the world, one in Berlin (Germany) and one in M?nster
(Germany), and only one of them (me) is likely to use OpenPGP.

So if you see some OpenPGP related datum connected with the name
"Rainer Perske" you can be quite certain that this datum belongs to me.

Whatever you do: A real name is a highly sensitive personal datum and
necessarily belongs to the data to be privacy protected. Please avoid
mistakes that could discredit OpenPGP in this context.

Best regards and thank you very much to all involved people for all
your commitment to OpenPGP!
--
Rainer Perske
Abteilung Systembetrieb und Leiter der Zertifizierungsstelle (WWUCA)

Westf?lische Wilhelms-Universit?t
Zentrum f?r Informationsverarbeitung
Rainer Perske
R?ntgenstra?e 7-13
48149 M?nster

Tel.: +49 251 83-31582
Fax.: +49 251 83-31555
E-Mail: rainer.perske@uni-muenster.de
WWW: https://www.uni-muenster.de/ZIV/Mitarbeiter/RainerPerske.shtml
B?ro: Raum 006, R?ntgenstra?e 11
Lageplan: http://wwwuv2.uni-muenster.de/uniplan/?action=spot&gebnr=7474

Zertifizierungsstelle der Universit?t M?nster (WWUCA):
Tel.: +49 251 83-31590
Fax.: +49 251 83-31555
E-Mail: ca@uni-muenster.de
WWW: https://www.uni-muenster.de/WWUCA/

Zentrum f?r Informationsverarbeitung (ZIV):
Tel.: +49 251 83-31600 (Mo-Fr 7:30-17:30 Uhr)
Fax.: +49 251 83-31555
E-Mail: ziv@uni-muenster.de
WWW: https://www.uni-muenster.de/ZIV/
Re: Privacy of real name [ In reply to ]
Am Mittwoch 10 Juli 2019 11:20:57 schrieb Rainer Perske:
> > Because if the real name is not enough to identify a person, it is
> > not personal data.
>
> ... may not remain uncontested.
>
> A real name like Thomas Müller might be not enough to identify a
> person, because there are thousands of them but a real name like mine
> (Rainer Perske) is enough.

But then the condition of the if clause above
is not given and it is personal data.

To give some context: We are discussing how to deal with subcases
of an improved keyserver that distributes user ids, which is a helper function
of end-to-end crypto with OpenPGP. The question is when to decide
that it wasn't the user itself that used the name, but someone else.
The approach we think about is post-publication handling, like blog-providers,
social networks and search engines.

> A real name is a highly sensitive personal datum and
> necessarily belongs to the data to be privacy protected.

If we see bytes in two groups with an upper and a lower letter,
we can assume it is name, but we often cannot decide if it is and if it
is personal data. For the proposed model this is not necessary, though.

Regards,
Bernhard