Mailing List Archive

Use of --sender (was: Order of lookup methods in --auto-key-retrieve)
On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 22:41, gnupg-devel@gnupg.org said:

> gpg.conf (or using the respective command line options). (Some other

Which is

--sender MAILADDRESS

In general MUAs should use the FROM address here because on mail
verification MUAs will check that the FROM address matches one of the
user ID iof the key and the Signer's User ID as set with the above
command. GPGME users use

/* Store a sender address in the context. */
gpgme_error_t gpgme_set_sender (gpgme_ctx_t ctx, const char *address);

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

Re: Use of --sender (was: Order of lookup methods in --auto-key-retrieve) [ In reply to ]
On 02.07.2019 08:40, Werner Koch wrote:
> Which is
>
> --sender MAILADDRESS

Oh, I was not aware of this one but it is very useful.

I did ask Enigmail to use e-mail address as --local-user but they had a
different idea:

https://sourceforge.net/p/enigmail/forum/feature_requests/thread/a2a7dd87/

Adding --sender there could resolve my issue (adding Signer's UID
packet) without changing their key selection logic.

Thanks for the info!

Kind regards,
Wiktor

--
https://metacode.biz/@wiktor
Re: Use of --sender (was: Order of lookup methods in --auto-key-retrieve) [ In reply to ]
On 02/07/2019 10:08, Wiktor Kwapisiewicz via Gnupg-devel wrote:
> Oh, I was not aware of this one but it is very useful.

I'd like to suggest the attached patch to draw a bit more attention to
this option. I stopped looking for the --sender option once the man page
told me "this is only done with --local-user" :-).

HTH,

Peter.

PS: I don't know why the line lengths for this paragraph were originally
shorter; other lines in the same document seem longer. If I'm breaking
some consistency I'm not aware of, the paragraph needs to be reflowed
:-).