Mailing List Archive

pgp2 support for gnupg
Hi,

I decided to start a new project to support an upcoming feature of
gnupg. This is a program and some shared objects to emulate all pgp2
features with gnupg. These software will be provided under a XFree
type license and so it is possible to use patented algorithms - the
user has to check whether he is allowed to use this software and what
kind of royalities he has to pay (same as pgp2). This new software is
not part of gnupg nor the GNU system but a kludge to allow pgp2 users
to switch to free software.

The clue to support pgp is that gnupg will soon be able to load new
cipher algorithms at runtime. It is up to the user to decide which
algorithms are useful.

The support of the -kvv stuff will be removed from gnupg and moved to
a wrapper program which emulates the strange pgp option syntax.

I'll encourage everyone to use the new features but due to the large
pgp2 infrastructure I'm now convinced that a migration path is a
needed.

To enable the use of RSA in the U.S. someone should write a RSAREF
version of the RSA extension; but let's wait until I'm ready with
the extension scheme.

Because nobody has yet been found to write the random number stuff for
non Freenix systems I'll change my release schedule and will step to
0.3 soon.

Werner
Re: pgp2 support for gnupg [ In reply to ]
olmur@dwarf.bb.bawue.de said:
> There's an ``rsarefeuro'' (or something like this) around, which has
> the same interface as rsaref but is developed in Europe so that any
> European could write code which can be compiled with rsaref.

Be careful. Rsaeuro was a bit more than interface compatible. It
was source code, bug and comment compatible if you get my meaning.

Paul
Re: pgp2 support for gnupg [ In reply to ]
Re: pgp2 support for gnupg [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Werner Koch wrote:
> The support of the -kvv stuff will be removed from gnupg and moved to
> a wrapper program which emulates the strange pgp option syntax.

Will the PGP option syntax be emulated to the point that I can drop GPG
into Premail, the remailer/security shell, in place of PGP 2.6.3i and have
it work? Will GPG's enhanced features be available when using this
interface, i.e. will it automatically use GPG cyphers when talking to
people with GPG keys and PGP cyphers when talking to people with those
keys? I hope so.

Being able to use GPG in shells designed for PGP 2.6 would be a very big
win, because even real PGP can't do that in its latest version. If GPG
can support new cyphers with the old syntax and retain compatibility with
old cyphers, then we can probably convince the operators of the cypherpunk
remailer system to switch to GPG. That would be good in many ways.

"Let me lose so beautifully http://www.islandnet.com/~mskala/
Let me lick the dew from the money tree Matthew Skala
Have the moms of the world all care about me Ansuz BBS
At suppertime" - Odds (250) 472-3169
Re: pgp2 support for gnupg [ In reply to ]
Michael Deindl <olmur@dwarf.bb.bawue.de> writes:

> There's an ``rsarefeuro'' (or something like this) around, which has
> the same interface as rsaref but is developed in Europe so that any
> European could write code which can be compiled with rsaref.

I do not think it is a good idea to use RSAREF by default. My current
RSA implementation isn't the fastest one but it uses the gnupg mpi
functions and therefore the code is very small.

> I think, the early pgp versions were released under GPL, so that it
> should be possible to use this random-generator. Additionally there

But:

``Finally, if you want to turn PGP into a commercial product and make
money selling it, then we must agree on a way for me to also make
money on it.''

This is from the PGP license which imposes this restriction on the
GPL and invalidates the GPL thereby.

> No, I'm not volunteering. Besides that I don't have DOS/Windows, I

I have one box with Windoze95 used for hardware tinkering but I think
I have not swtiched it on for the last months. I'll better support
real OSes first.

Werner
Re: pgp2 support for gnupg [ In reply to ]
Matthew Skala <mskala@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca> writes:

> interface, i.e. will it automatically use GPG cyphers when talking to
> people with GPG keys and PGP cyphers when talking to people with those

Yes. The real problem with a pgp2 emulation is that gnupg must make
use of temporary files (for encrypting and signing) and that is something
I really don't like but have to do.

> old cyphers, then we can probably convince the operators of the cypherpunk
> remailer system to switch to GPG. That would be good in many ways.

Better rewrite the scripts and use the new features.

Werner