bit Blowfish.

have fun,

Werner
Re: new release 0.2.16 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Werner Koch wrote:

> * Standard cipher is now Blowfish with 128 bit key in OpenPGP's CFB
> mode. I renamed the old cipher to Blowfish160. Because the OpenPGP
> group refused to assign me a number for Blowfish160, I have to
> drop support for this in the future. You should use
> "--change-passphrase" to recode your current passphrase with 128
> bit Blowfish.

Was there any rationale given? If OpenPGP is really just a description of
PGP, maybe it's time to look at describing something a bit different.

Rob L.
Re: new release 0.2.16 [ In reply to ]
lilo@dyn-max1-1.chicago.il.ameritech.net writes:

> Was there any rationale given? If OpenPGP is really just a description of
> PGP, maybe it's time to look at describing something a bit different.

No, but the draft explicitly states that PGP's CFB mode must be used for
all ciphers - I don't know of any other Blowfish implementation, but
to be compliant to OpenPGP we have to use this mode (It's not insecure, nor
has it a performance penalty, but their is no technical reason for it).

Werner