Mailing List Archive

Re: Plaintext, symmertric algorithm 0 (9.2)?
Hal Finney <hal@rain.org> writes:

> I am not aware of any other implementations of Blowfish within the
> OpenPGP framework.

GNUPG uses Blowfish in standard CFB mode (without the PGP 2 byte
feedback) and a 160 bit key. A 128 bit version is also available
and this still uses standard mode - if there is any other OpenPGP app
which uses Blowfish, I maybe able to switch to PGP CFB mode for this
128 bit key version.

By the way, how can I get an assigned number for my (standard) Blowfish
implementation?

--
Werner (finger gcrypt@ftp.guug.de for info about GnuPG)
Re: Plaintext, symmertric algorithm 0 (9.2)? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Werner Koch wrote:

> GNUPG uses Blowfish in standard CFB mode (without the PGP 2 byte

2 Byte??? There is a 10 byte header. I'll have to see the code...

> feedback) and a 160 bit key. A 128 bit version is also available
> and this still uses standard mode - if there is any other OpenPGP app
> which uses Blowfish, I maybe able to switch to PGP CFB mode for this
> 128 bit key version.

> By the way, how can I get an assigned number for my (standard) Blowfish
> implementation?

Blowfish, 128 bit key, 16 rounds is defined as cipher number 4.

> Werner (finger gcrypt@ftp.guug.de for info about GnuPG)

The finger has a URL that points to one that says I need to update my
bookmark.

--- reply to tzeruch - at - ceddec - dot - com ---
Re: Plaintext, symmertric algorithm 0 (9.2)? [ In reply to ]
nospam-seesignature@ceddec.com writes:

> 2 Byte??? There is a 10 byte header. I'll have to see the code...

The 16 bit shift operation inseatd of the normal 64 bit one.

> Blowfish, 128 bit key, 16 rounds is defined as cipher number 4.

I know, but I'm taking about a 160 bit key version :-)

--
Werner (finger gcrypt@ftp.guug.de for info about GnuPG)