My world file is correct, should I try it? How do revdep-rebuild and
fixpackages fit into all of this?

- Grant
Re: emerge --depclean [ In reply to ]
Hi there,
May I suggest that you run "emerge --depclean -vp" to see what will be removed,
maybe you'll see that you don't need to run this after all.
The message that comes up when doing this is very descriptive on what to do if
a package suddenly breaks because of a missing library.

AFAIK "revdep-rebuild" will get you all those packages that are needed
but missing.

I have not yest used "fixpackages"

Regards,

-AR

Re: emerge --depclean [ In reply to ]
> Hi there,
> May I suggest that you run "emerge --depclean -vp" to see what will be removed,
> maybe you'll see that you don't need to run this after all.
> The message that comes up when doing this is very descriptive on what to do if
> a package suddenly breaks because of a missing library.
>
> AFAIK "revdep-rebuild" will get you all those packages that are needed
> but missing.
>
> I have not yest used "fixpackages"
>
> Regards,
>
> -AR

I'm having some trouble with revdep-rebuild. I read the suggestions
below but I can't quite decipher them. I tried to emerge lib-compat
manually but it didn't help.

"
All prepared. Starting rebuild...
emerge --oneshot --nodeps =media-libs/xine-lib-1_rc8-r1
=sys-libs/lib-compat-1.3 =xfce-extra/xfce4-fsguard-0.2.0
Calculating dependencies -
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "=sys-libs/lib-compat-1.3".

Result is not OK, you have following choices:
- if emerge failed during build, fix the problems and re-run revdep-rebuild
or
- use -X or --package-names as first argument (try to rebuild package, not exact
ebuild - ignores SLOT!)
or
- set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~<your platform>" and/or /etc/portage/package.unmask
(and remove /root/.revdep-rebuild.5_order to be evaluated again)
or
- modify the above emerge command and run it manually
or
- compile or unmerge unsatisfied packages manually, remove temporary files and
try again (you can edit package/ebuild list first)
"

- Grant
Re: emerge --depclean [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:36:15 -0500, A. R. wrote:

> May I suggest that you run "emerge --depclean -vp" to see what will be
> removed, maybe you'll see that you don't need to run this after all.

Before you do that, run "emerge world -uavD --newuse". Changed USE flags
are the usual cause of depclean wanting to do anything unwelcome.

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 01E: Timing error - Please wait. And wait. And wait. And wait.
Re: emerge --depclean [ In reply to ]
On 11:52 Wed 30 Mar , Grant wrote:
> I've neglected to update any packages since a nasty case of the new
> package blues a while ago, but in the last few days I've gotten back
> on top of it. I'm up to date with 'emerge -Du world' and I'd like to
> give 'emerge --depclean' a go, but I've read that it can be tricky.
> My world file is correct, should I try it? How do revdep-rebuild and
> fixpackages fit into all of this?

I completely hosed my system once with 'emerge --depclean', and nearly
whacked it a second time. I only brought it back from the brink with
some tricky copying of missing libs.

I've learned to be a little less tidy, my machine loves me for it.

Bill Roberts
Re: emerge --depclean [ In reply to ]
> > I've neglected to update any packages since a nasty case of the new
> > package blues a while ago, but in the last few days I've gotten back
> > on top of it. I'm up to date with 'emerge -Du world' and I'd like to
> > give 'emerge --depclean' a go, but I've read that it can be tricky.
> > My world file is correct, should I try it? How do revdep-rebuild and
> > fixpackages fit into all of this?
>
> I completely hosed my system once with 'emerge --depclean', and nearly
> whacked it a second time. I only brought it back from the brink with
> some tricky copying of missing libs.
>
> I've learned to be a little less tidy, my machine loves me for it.
>
> Bill Roberts

Why would something like that happen? It seems like Gentoo has a
logical system for keeping everything sane.

- Grant
Re: emerge --depclean [ In reply to ]
On 06:30 Thu 31 Mar , Grant wrote:
> > > I've neglected to update any packages since a nasty case of the new
> > > package blues a while ago, but in the last few days I've gotten back
> > > on top of it. I'm up to date with 'emerge -Du world' and I'd like to
> > > give 'emerge --depclean' a go, but I've read that it can be tricky.
> > > My world file is correct, should I try it? How do revdep-rebuild and
> > > fixpackages fit into all of this?
> >
> > I completely hosed my system once with 'emerge --depclean', and nearly
> > whacked it a second time. I only brought it back from the brink with
> > some tricky copying of missing libs.
> >
> > I've learned to be a little less tidy, my machine loves me for it.
> >
> > Bill Roberts
>
> Why would something like that happen? It seems like Gentoo has a
> logical system for keeping everything sane.

Last time I nearly whacked my machine, 'emerge --depclean'said I could
get rid of of attr and acl. I figured I was using neither attr nor
acl, I would 'merge -C' them. If you do a 'equery depends attr',
you'll find coreutils depends on it, as well at acl. Without
coreutils, you can forget emerging and a many basic functions of the
machine. Long story short, I had a copy of the missing libraries in an
another install directory, managed to copy them to the right directory,
and saved dozens and dozens of hours it would have taken my to
reconstitute my machine.

You do get a warning, and heed it well.

Bill Roberts
Re: emerge --depclean [ In reply to ]
On 5/7/21 6:57 PM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> I'm trying to clean up packages on a remote computer and running emerge --depclean list some packages that I am not sure about:
>
>[snip]
>
> Many of these packages are I see on my other systems and I think they are needed like:
> acct-group/video
> dev-libs/jansson
> dev-perl/Switch
> x11-libs/libvdpau

You mentioned this is a remote machine. Is it running X or not? If
it's a headless, machine, it doesn't seem unreasonable that emerge would
be removing unused X11 dependencies.

In any case, you could use the `equery depends` tool to determine what,
on your other machines, is depending on these packages, and use that
information to determine whether you accidentally removed something you
intended to install on this machine.

--depclean will only remove dependencies that are not required by
packages in your @world or selected profile. Removing these packages is
probably not going to break anything; you can always reinstall them
later if you need them.

cal
Re: emerge --depclean [ In reply to ]
> x11-libs/libvdpau
> selected: 1.4
> protected: none
> omitted: none

I'm guessing that would be pulled in by USE +vdpau, so if you've removed it
then done an emerge with -N or -U it won't be required anymore.

> x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu
> selected: 19.1.0
> protected: none
> omitted: none