Did anyone have a similar problem?

Best regards,

Flavio.

Re: My gentoo is freezing [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, "Flávio L. C. de Moura" wrote:

> I have Gentoo installed in my laptop (Toshiba 1Ghz celeron), and I
> usually leave it on during the day in the lab where I work because I
> save a copy of my emails in this laptop. During the day I usually work
> on another computer where I keep a screen from the laptop with the mail
> program that I use (thunderbird). I open this screen from the laptop via
> ssh. After some hours, the system in the laptop stops completely and I
> cannot do nothing but reset. I mean, I cannot even login in text mode or
> connect it from another machine.
>
> Did anyone have a similar problem?

Lockups are usually caused by hardware problems: bad memory, fan problems
(causing heat to build-up), etc.

--
Aj.
Sys. Admin / Developer

Re: My gentoo is freezing [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:22:54 -0400 (EDT), Ajai Khattri <ajai@bway.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, "Flávio L. C. de Moura" wrote:
>
> > I have Gentoo installed in my laptop (Toshiba 1Ghz celeron), and I
> > usually leave it on during the day in the lab where I work because I
> > save a copy of my emails in this laptop. During the day I usually work
> > on another computer where I keep a screen from the laptop with the mail
> > program that I use (thunderbird). I open this screen from the laptop via
> > ssh. After some hours, the system in the laptop stops completely and I
> > cannot do nothing but reset. I mean, I cannot even login in text mode or
> > connect it from another machine.
> >
> > Did anyone have a similar problem?
>
> Lockups are usually caused by hardware problems: bad memory, fan problems
> (causing heat to build-up), etc.

Try running the laptop off a live CD for a day and see if it is a
hardware failure or if its kernel issues....

--
Zen is total BS. When you realize that fact, you have mastered Zen.

Re: My gentoo is freezing [ In reply to ]
* "Flávio L. C. de Moura" <flavio@macs.hw.ac.uk> [07/09/04 23:59]:
> Hi there,
>
> I have Gentoo installed in my laptop (Toshiba 1Ghz celeron), and I
> usually leave it on during the day in the lab where I work because I
> save a copy of my emails in this laptop. During the day I usually work
> on another computer where I keep a screen from the laptop with the mail
> program that I use (thunderbird). I open this screen from the laptop via
> ssh. After some hours, the system in the laptop stops completely and I
> cannot do nothing but reset. I mean, I cannot even login in text mode or
> connect it from another machine.
>
> Did anyone have a similar problem?

I had (actually, I believe still have) such a problem when I ran
graphical web browsers (mozilla, konqueror and I believe even dillo)
with my locale set to he_IL.utf8 (and I believe that the utf8 part is
the problem). I now run them with LC_ALL=LANG=POSIX, and the problem is
gone.

Moshe

> Best regards,
>
> Flavio.

-- Douglas Adams

Moshe Kaminsky <kaminsky@math.huji.ac.il>
Home: 08-9456841
Re: My gentoo is freezing [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 07 September 2004 18:16, "Flávio L. C. de Moura" wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have Gentoo installed in my laptop (Toshiba 1Ghz celeron), and I
> usually leave it on during the day in the lab where I work because I
> save a copy of my emails in this laptop. During the day I usually work
> on another computer where I keep a screen from the laptop with the mail
> program that I use (thunderbird). I open this screen from the laptop via
> ssh. After some hours, the system in the laptop stops completely and I
> cannot do nothing but reset. I mean, I cannot even login in text mode or
> connect it from another machine.
>
> Did anyone have a similar problem?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Flavio.

I've had issues with scrolling webpages in mozilla firefox (could well migrate
to thunderbird) when using ATI's drivers for an ATI card. Sadly, I've no
actual resolution, but I've switched to an Nvidia card and it "just works" so
I haven't looked into it too much.

--
Tom Wesley <tom@tomaw.org>