Mailing List Archive

Does k3b need kde? (was: [gentoo-user] Best installation method)
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:21:16 +0200, Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> wrote:
> Not true. K3b can be emerged -kde and -arts (you have to do both). All
> you lose is the ability to use K3bSetup2 (only available if K3b is
> compiled with KDE support).

Does this mean that one can emerge k3b without installing kde first?

And let's say I've already emerge k3b with kde, how would I go about
uninstalling kde but leaving k3b? Is it just as simple as "emerge
unmerge kde && emerge depclean" (assuming all the dependencies that
are to be removed have been checked out and are ok to remove?

Anyway assistance would be appreciated...

...Ric
--
Ric de France
Ph: +61412945554 (international) or 0412945554 (Australia)

Re: Does k3b need kde? (was: [gentoo-user] Best installation method) [ In reply to ]
k3b needs a lot of libraries of kde... and qt... maybe you can skip to
install all the kde, but some libraries from qt and kde are needed...

David GP

Re: Does k3b need kde? [ In reply to ]
Ric de France wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:21:16 +0200, Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> wrote:
>
>>Not true. K3b can be emerged -kde and -arts (you have to do both). All
>>you lose is the ability to use K3bSetup2 (only available if K3b is
>>compiled with KDE support).
>

> Does this mean that one can emerge k3b without installing kde first?

Yes.

> And let's say I've already emerge k3b with kde, how would I go about
> uninstalling kde but leaving k3b? Is it just as simple as "emerge
> unmerge kde && emerge depclean" (assuming all the dependencies that
> are to be removed have been checked out and are ok to remove?

You would also need to re-emerge K3b -arts and -kde.

When I did this, I actually didn't even do an emerge depclean.

K3b is not a program that is integrated into KDE in the same way that
Konqueror, for example, is part of the kdebase package.

It is a separate program, as is (for another example) KVirc, which I
have also been able to use without KDE on the system. You have to have
QT (of course) and kdelibs (iirc) installed to use such programs, but
not necessarily KDE (base, et. al).

Other "K" programs vary, as some developers have not necessarily
considered that you might like the program and want to use it, but not
want to use KDE as a whole. ATM, I have KDE installed (wanted to see
what 3.3.0 looked like), and so I have a couple of "other" KDE programs
installed, and I don't know which of them I'll be able to keep if I
decide to uninstall KDE at some future date.

It's really a process of trial and error for many programs, but I know
from personal experience that both K3b and KVirc can be run on a system
without KDE installed.

Holly

Re: Does k3b need kde? [ In reply to ]
In other words, compiling k3b and it's deps will probably take well
over 2 hours (maybe even 3 or 4+ hours)

Re: Does k3b need kde? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:43:12 +0200, Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> wrote:
> Ric de France wrote:
> > On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:21:16 +0200, Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> wrote:
> >
> >>Not true. K3b can be emerged -kde and -arts (you have to do both). All
> >>you lose is the ability to use K3bSetup2 (only available if K3b is
> >>compiled with KDE support).
> >

> > Does this mean that one can emerge k3b without installing kde first?
>
> Yes.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it in the next few days... good to
hear I don't need to do a depclean.

...Ric

Re: Does k3b need kde? (was: [gentoo-user] Best installation method) [ In reply to ]
> Does this mean that one can emerge k3b without installing kde first?

Yes. I run k3b under fluxbox without problems. I think the only other
major package it insists on emerging is kde-libs, but it's a while
since I installed it so I'm not certain about that (you certainly
won't need all the usual KDE fluff like kde-games etc).

Paul