startup sshd.

Thank you!
Monk.

Re: installing gentoo. [ In reply to ]
Quoting Peace Monk <peace.monk@gmail.com>:

> I had a few questions while installing gentoo. I downloaded the live
> cd (minimal) to do a stage 2 install, and also downloaded the stage2
> tar ball (2004-2)
>
> Will I get a kernel 2.6 system after I finish installation, or is it
> still at 2.4? Is there another procedure for 2.4 installation?

You still need to emerge the kernel don't you? The stage 2 is just the compiled
bootstrap (I think - only ever done stage 1)

For 2.4 it's gentoo-sources

for 2.6 it's gentoo-dev-sources

Check the installation guide, there's lots of other permutations.

> How do I bring up ssh daemon? I would like to continue installation
> via ssh from a windows box. Its telling me about missing keys when I
> startup sshd.

You will first need to set your root password on the console..

passwd root

will do the trick...

then simply

/etc/init.d/sshd start

et voila, you should be able to connect.

Re: installing gentoo. [ In reply to ]
For a 2.6 kernel:

emerge gentoo-dev-sources
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
make && make modules_install
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6-gentoo
cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6-gentoo
cp .config /boot/config-2.6-gentoo

Re: installing gentoo. [ In reply to ]
That's the classic way of doing it... there's also genkernel as well, which will
do it automatically for you.

It's worth while investigating both, especially running through make menuconfig,
as that will show you a lot of the internal modules and workings of the kernel.

It's all in the installation guide don't forget ;)

Re: installing gentoo. [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:24:51 +0100, Kevin Philp <kevin@cybercolloids.net> wrote:
> For a 2.6 kernel:
>
> emerge gentoo-dev-sources
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make menuconfig
> make && make modules_install
> cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6-gentoo
> cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6-gentoo
> cp .config /boot/config-2.6-gentoo

Where does 'make install' come into this? I tried to use it but it
seemed like it only made a mess of things.

- Grant

Re: installing gentoo. [ In reply to ]
Grant wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:24:51 +0100, Kevin Philp <kevin@cybercolloids.net> wrote:
>
>>For a 2.6 kernel:
>>
>>emerge gentoo-dev-sources
>>cd /usr/src/linux
>>make menuconfig
>>make && make modules_install
>>cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6-gentoo
>>cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6-gentoo
>>cp .config /boot/config-2.6-gentoo
>>

> Where does 'make install' come into this? I tried to use it but it
> seemed like it only made a mess of things.

Make install would replace the 3 cp commands at the end.

Make install copies the bzImage to /boot, makes a renames the bzImage to
reflect the kernel version, and makes symlink from the copied (new)
bzImage to vmlinuz. It also symlinks the kernel previously linked to
vmlinuz (your most recent kernel, from which you are upgrading to the
kernel you just compiled) to vmlinuz.old, and does the same with
System.map and config.

So it basically installs your newly compiled kernel into the /boot
folder, and moves your current kernel back one step, automatically.

Holly

Re: installing gentoo. [ In reply to ]
from:

/usr/src/linux/README

- Do a "make" to create a compressed kernel image. It is also
possible to do "make install" if you have lilo installed to suit the
kernel makefiles, but you may want to check your particular lilo setup first.

--
Andres

Re: installing gentoo. [ In reply to ]
Thanks, I now have a working gentoo installation

Linux gentoox 2.6.8-gentoo-r3 #1 Tue Sep 7 17:56:32 ADT 2004 i686
Pentium III (Katmai) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Re: installing gentoo. [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 23:55:24 -0300, Peace Monk <peace.monk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, I now have a working gentoo installation

Welcome aboard. You're going to love it.

--
/\/\
(CR) Collins Richey