become root with su. I can do it at home but when I log in when travelling
the system refuses to let me become root.

Thanks, Alan

Re: Being able to log in as root remotely [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 00:31, Alan Watson wrote:
> Hi - Can anyone tell me how to either create a user with portage privileges
> or tell me how to reconfigure root so I can log in as a normal user and then
> become root with su. I can do it at home but when I log in when travelling
> the system refuses to let me become root.
>
> Thanks, Alan

This is with ssh???

Marv

Re: Being able to log in as root remotely [ In reply to ]
> Hi - Can anyone tell me how to either create a user with portage
> privileges

type command
$useradd -G portage newusername

> or tell me how to reconfigure root so I can log in as a normal user and
> then
> become root with su. I can do it at home but when I log in when travelling
> the system refuses to let me become root.

modify user to be a member of wheel
$usermod -G wheel usertomodify

> Thanks, Alan

Cheers
Lung

Re: Being able to log in as root remotely [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 07 September 2004 02:52 am, Lung wrote:
> > Hi - Can anyone tell me how to either create a user with portage
> > privileges
>
> type command
> $useradd -G portage newusername
>
> > or tell me how to reconfigure root so I can log in as a normal user and
> > then
> > become root with su. I can do it at home but when I log in when
> > travelling the system refuses to let me become root.
>
> modify user to be a member of wheel
> $usermod -G wheel usertomodify
>
> > Thanks, Alan
> >

> > --

If you don't use usermod properly, you'll have problems. For example, if you
do as this person said "usermod -G wheel usertomodify", then that
usertomodify will be in ONLY the wheel group, and remove them from any other
groups they were in.

I recommend you use the "gpasswd" command instead.

gpasswd -a username groupname

where the -a is for add, username is for the name of the user you wish to
modify group properties for, and groupname is the group you wish to add them
to.

Thanks,

Aaron Kulbe
Re: Being able to log in as root remotely [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Alan Watson wrote:

> Hi - Can anyone tell me how to either create a user with portage privileges
> or tell me how to reconfigure root so I can log in as a normal user and then
> become root with su. I can do it at home but when I log in when travelling
> the system refuses to let me become root.

emerge sudo

--
Aj.
Sys. Admin / Developer

RE: Being able to log in as root remotely [ In reply to ]
Thanks to every body for their help on this. Very helpful. Alan ..:)

If you don't use usermod properly, you'll have problems. For example, if
you
do as this person said "usermod -G wheel usertomodify", then that
usertomodify will be in ONLY the wheel group, and remove them from any other

groups they were in.

I recommend you use the "gpasswd" command instead.

gpasswd -a username groupname

where the -a is for add, username is for the name of the user you wish to
modify group properties for, and groupname is the group you wish to add them

to.

Thanks,

Aaron Kulbe

---